3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 140444 times)

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #7680 on: February 20, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
Dave,

I lost about an inch of draw length between my hybrid bows grip and my Hills. With your long arms you may see slightly more than that so 68 would probably be a good fit but you wouldn't want to go any shorter IMO.

Others with much more experience may well offer some insight as well.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7681 on: February 20, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
tradlongbow, here is a picture of Mike's Archery Leather quiver.  Lots more of different sizes on his web site--a sponsor here.

The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline benmmc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7682 on: February 20, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
I couldn't resist...

I've been eyeing the Hill bows for a while, and Steve Angell let me borrow a Northern Mist Hill style bow a few weeks ago. Well, I liked it. A lot.

So, yeah, I just ordered the 66" 58@27" 'Wapiti' bow from Craig at Howard Hill. 5 lams of bamboo and 1 bocote. Looks sweeeeet - can't wait to shoot it!

"We are men of action; lies do not become us." -Wesley

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7683 on: February 20, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
@Dave
Thanks for posting the pic.

@Ben
The bocote limbs look awesome. I hope you hog hunt with us next and bring that bow.

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7684 on: February 20, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
Thats a good lookin bow Ben!

Eric

Offline tadpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7685 on: February 20, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »
Can you guys tell me what length of dacron string I need for my 68" big five. I run my brace heigth anywhere from 6 to 6 1/2.  Any help would be great.
Tom

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7686 on: February 20, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
I have a Mike's Archery Leather backquiver and love it. A friend of mine gave it to me because I liked it so much and he refused to take any money for it (I left money in his door for it). It think mine is the 4" model and It can hold about ten arrows. I have been wanting the large on so I can carry arrows and a few other other things when I go rabbit and squirrel hunting.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7687 on: February 20, 2012, 07:15:00 PM »
Tom
I use a 64" dacron string for my 68" bow.
Darren
Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7688 on: February 20, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
First let me explain that my love of the Hill bow was not started by stories of Hill or robin Hood.  The bow itself is what got me started.  How it looks and feels and cast an arrow in such a relaxed manner.  Over the last few days I have been reading Hunting the Hardway by Howard Hill, figured I needed to get to know the fella that made the bow what it is.  Well one of his stories where he decries the fact that he let a friend rivet his broadhead to the shaft and it cost him to lose a buck, got me thinking.  In his story he drew to full draw and noticed that no head was there, swung and discarged the arrow into the dirt to reload.  To be able to do this took awesome shot control.  To be able to stop the shot in a tense situation and change course is way beyond me.  Well today I went and did some stumpin.  First I walked a few hundered yards into my field and sat by my pond.  I sat for about 10 minutes until I was totally relaxed.  I kept that relaxation in every aspect of how I moved, walked, and most importantly shot.  For the first time I was able to somewhat employ the split vision that Hill used and let me tell ya I couldn't miss.  Most importanly I was in total control. The shot was smooth and relaxed.  
I had talked to Dragonheart the other day about when to practice and when to not.  It seems with all I have to do that I cram practice sessions into the little spots in the day that I can.  For now on if I can't relax I will not practice.  Hopefully I will eventually be able to shoot relaxed all the time.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7689 on: February 20, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
Chris, gonna be hard to relax when that new Hill shows up, ya think   :thumbsup:  

Eric

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7690 on: February 20, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
Yea I might have to break my vow for that event.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7691 on: February 20, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by benmmc:
I couldn't resist...

I've been eyeing the Hill bows for a while, and Steve Angell let me borrow a Northern Mist Hill style bow a few weeks ago. Well, I liked it. A lot.

So, yeah, I just ordered the 66" 58@27" 'Wapiti' bow from Craig at Howard Hill. 5 lams of bamboo and 1 bocote. Looks sweeeeet - can't wait to shoot it!

Congrats Ben!!! Glad I was a part of the conversion of another Hill shooter. Come join the rest of us for the 2013 Hill Hog Hunt in south GA with the new killing stick!   :thumbsup:

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7692 on: February 20, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
Hi Guys,

I posted this as it's own thread, but thought I should also post it here, in case any of you might find it of interest. Sometimes even an old deadbeat like me actually learns things that should have been readily apparent. Oh well, better late than never.

Here's the post:

As many of you know, I laid aside my bow quiver last year to try going barebow---no quiver attached. 2011 was to be something new for me.

Three shots, three kills. I kinda liked shooting without a quiver on the bow.

However, being a western hunter, since I already carry a bugle tube, binoculars, and a predator call hanging from my neck, I did not like having the wide strap of the Safari Tuff hanging off my neck too. It seemed one thing too many.

Plus, I lost the chance for an easy shot on a nice 4x4 mule deer buck because I had my Safari Tuff hanging vertically from pack when I knelt down to draw an arrow on the approaching buck. When I knelt down, the bottom of the quiver was against the ground, and I could not get an arrow to slip out without rearranging the quiver to a 45-degree angle so the arrow could slip all the way out.

By then, the buck was out to 60 yards. Too late to shoot. My fault, but a good lesson learned.

Since bear season is getting close, this weekend I started getting my gear ready, and after picking up my pack,  the lightbulb went off in my head-----what if I slip the straps of my Safari Tuff though the lash-to straps of the shoulder straps of my pack?

That would allow me to carry the quiver vertically when marching to cover ground, but when in kill mode, I could slide it to a 45-degree angle and be ready for anything. Plus, this would make the quiver and pack all one unit. That's a good thing.

So. . . I took my small canvas pack, slipped the Safari Tuff strap through the lashing straps on the shoulder pads, and away I went for a shooting session.

Ahhh, perfection. Pure perfection. Bears-----watch your step!

Clean and simple, that's generally the best.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7693 on: February 20, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
Great idea Rik! I just picked up an arrowmaster and am in the same situation, you just saved me some think time.  :thumbsup:  

Eric

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7694 on: February 20, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
Rik,

That rig is the "cats meow"!!
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7695 on: February 20, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
Rik-

Great idea, where did you get the pack? I could use something like that.

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7696 on: February 20, 2012, 11:05:00 PM »
An Original Hill Built by Hill just came up on the classifieds here. Whew!!!!!!!!

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7697 on: February 20, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
I mentioned three shots and three kills, but I forgot about the mule deer buck that was looking at me when I shot. Surely he doesn't count, does he?

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7698 on: February 20, 2012, 11:40:00 PM »
Rik,

Yes brother, we will let you count the mule deer.   :notworthy:
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7699 on: February 20, 2012, 11:41:00 PM »
Rik,

BTW:  you need to go ahead and buy that original Howard Hill in the classifieds.  It would look good on your rack with that cool pak!     :jumper:
Longbows & Short Shots

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©