3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 140446 times)

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #7700 on: February 21, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
Maybe if everybody that posted on this thread pitched in a few bucks we could buy that original Hill    :scared:

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7701 on: February 21, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »
Oh yeah, and I hit a twig an missed a doe while hunting with Nate.

That makes it five shots, three kills. Man, my percentages last year leave lots of room for improvement. Now if Nate could just teach me how to shoot right, I could get those percentages way up.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7702 on: February 21, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7703 on: February 21, 2012, 02:24:00 PM »
Rik you did better than me I was one of four on deer. I dont want to admit how many shots it took to get my gator,however,some blame goes to the guide riggin my bow up where the string stopped the arrow after 12 yards. Once he fiqured out how to rig it up then we had some gator meat. OH when does your bear season start?

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7704 on: February 22, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »
Last month a 1933 Howard Hill bow sold on *bay auction site for $10,000.00. It was signed to my "Pal" Cy Johnson from Howard Hill.

Darren

Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

« Reply #7705 on: February 22, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »
Love that sweeping back set. I would need a bow loader to get the string on that one.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7706 on: February 22, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
Lawrence,

When I talked to the owner on the phone he told me it had 4" of reflex   :eek:   (WOW).

When I first saw the bow, I thought it was a reverse handle Hill bow because of the amount of reflex.

I think that I would have strung it backwards and shot it as a reverse handle stringfollow bow.   :archer2:  

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7707 on: February 22, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »
My new Cheetah arrived today! Door to door it took 6 days from Montana to Ontario. My grandmother of 102 died yesterday so it was nice to one home from the undertakers to find it waiting for me. Nothing like setting up a bow to calm the mind on stressful days.

Craig has done a great job as usual, I'll post some pics later this week. Given that it's 8 pounds heavier than my other bows I was concerned about the step up but it's so smooth you barely notice it!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

« Reply #7708 on: February 22, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
Jerry Hill told me Howard made his bow forms by tracing with a pencil tied to a length of cord. To get that much back set, the cord was not very long.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7709 on: February 22, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »
So I mailed a bow I bought used to MT on the 10th.  Re-tiller for 3under, change the grip a little, and while at it put Tembo on the lower limb where I had scratched out Robert of Naughtyham.  (That alone was worth the cost of the refinish!)

Postman attempted to deliver on Saturday the 18th, but no one was home.  I could hardly believe the little slip.  Craig and Jason could have only had the bow for a couple days max before sending it back.  And everything was perfect.  It was like getting a brand new bow!  Let me try and get some pics up.  I'm sure there are some already.  But grey glass on the back, clear on the belly, ebony riser and tips.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7710 on: February 22, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
My experience with Craig has been nothing short of awesome as well. After three plus weeks of traveling all over the US for who knows what reason, my halfbreed finally got to Craig and Jason today. I was figuring a couple days to get things sorted out and such, but no way. In the same email that said he received the bow, he also told me that it was in fact out of alignment and that is also was out of tiller. Not only did he figure it out the same day he received the bow, he also has already fixed it! It's ready to come home and he hasn't had it 24 hrs! How is that for service! He only charged me $60 to do the re-tiller, alignment, a new string, touch up the spots he worked, and ship it home. Love those guys!
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7711 on: February 22, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »
For you guys with noisy bows:

This weekend while working on my gear trying to get ready for bear season, I was disgruntled that my bow was sounding noisy.

So I strung it up, grabbed an arrow and headed outside, but I purposefully left my armguard inside.

Talk about quiet shooting! All along it was my armguards making the excessive noise. I almost always hunt without an armguard, and animals seldom react to my bow noise, but I always wear an armguard while practicing, and I always think my bows are too noisy.

Well, now I know it's just my armguards. I make them out of very soft leather, but apparently it's still enough to make a loud "slap" upon release. No one else thinks my bows are noisy, but I do-----or did.

So now I have a nice purple bruise on my bow arm from shooting and shooting some more, but I am smiling from ear to ear, as I dearly love quiet-shooting bows.

My next step?------make an armguard out of thick, quiet wool.

So. . . of any of you who think your Hill bows are too noisy, take off the armguard and loose a few feathered shafts at yon target. I have a feeling your bow will suddenly be quiet as a mouse.

Offline JohnI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7712 on: February 22, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
Read somewhere that Howard said if the string wasn't slapping your armguard you were doing something wrong.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7713 on: February 22, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
I have also noticed that and intend to put some felt on it.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7714 on: February 22, 2012, 04:04:00 PM »
Customer service at Howard Hill is clearly a priority for Craig and Jason. Nobody gets it right every time so what really matters is how you deal with those issues when they come up. I can say without a doubt that they ALWAYS go that extra mile to ensure the customer is happy.

That's the sort of thing missing from businesses these days and the sort of thing that keeps people in a small community like traditional archery loyal to their craftsman. The nicest thing is that so many businesses provide such outstanding service here.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline tadpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7715 on: February 22, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
Craig and Jason are top notch!

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7716 on: February 22, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
Ross,
Sorry to here about your grandmother.

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7717 on: February 22, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
I agree 100% with you guys, the Ekins are the best and they make a great product at a fair price.

I hope to see the Ekins at our hog hunt 2013.

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

« Reply #7718 on: February 22, 2012, 05:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rik:

My next step?------make an armguard out of thick, quiet wool.

So. . . of any of you who think your Hill bows are too noisy, take off the armguard and loose a few feathered shafts at yon target. I have a feeling your bow will suddenly be quiet as a mouse.
This it so true!  I rarely use an arm guard any more unless it is there to keep a bulky sleeve outta the way.

Rik, if you have a spare leather guard, try incorporating a braid of wool yarn looped through holes the entire length of the leather...effectively making a raised wool strike pad on the leather surface.

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7719 on: February 22, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »
Darren, I happen to know where that bow now resides. First pictures I have seen of it though. Thanks for posting them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©