3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 140416 times)

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #7800 on: February 27, 2012, 10:12:00 AM »
I hear you. My arrows are 500-550g, depending on point weight. I never tried light arrows from this bow, nor "wood" I, carbon arrows off that bow would be quite ugly. :smileystooges:  
 I have played with some heavy 190g points. They were stable, but the decreased cast was quite evident compared to the 525g avg.  deer/turkey "hunting" weight arrows. {Food for Thought}
  One of my favorite quotes from Straight Shooting, basically, Howard's method of "tuning" was basically set the nock point 1/8" above 90deg, nock above, and practice. It is the "archer" that usually needs the "tuning." John Schulz's Straight Shooting, good read by the way.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7801 on: February 27, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
And by 1/8" nock set, he nocked above the nock.  I started doing this recently and like the results.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7802 on: February 27, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
Me two, never had any porpoiseing problems using 16 strands and nylon serving. Nor did I with the skinny strings with very loose nock fit.
 What works works.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7803 on: February 27, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
Well yesterday's rabbit hunting adventure didn't yield any success in terms of taking game but I did have a great time wandering around the woods on such a sunny, mild day. We had received about 6 inches of fresh snow but the frozen crust underneath made for very 'crunchy' stalking so the rabbits had plenty of warning that I was coming. I did manage a 10 yard shot at a squirrel missing him so closely that I would swear my fletching combed his hair for him. Another exiting part to the day was shooting at a frozen stump that elicited such a loud 'CRACK' when I hit it that a buck bedded down 25 yards down range bolted out of his bed at a dead run headed for the next county. I'm not sure who was more surprised me or him!

Here's a couple pics of my new Cheetah's first trip into the Canadian wilderness, makes a real contrast to the photos you guys from the southern States are posting.  

HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7804 on: February 27, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »
I'll try that second one again....  
HHA Half Breed 52@28

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7805 on: February 27, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
Bah!!! You get the idea, sorry for cluttering up the page.
HHA Half Breed 52@28

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7806 on: February 27, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
That is a nice riser Rosco, my favorite feature among these bows.  

Offline benmmc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7807 on: February 27, 2012, 03:46:00 PM »
Nice Rossco. Wish we saw some of the white stuff down here more often. Looks like fun!
"We are men of action; lies do not become us." -Wesley

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7808 on: February 27, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
Careful what you wish for Ben! Lol. Whenever I'm out deer hunting dressed in 7 layers and looking like the michellin man I'm always envious when I see you guys out wearing a light sweater and jeans. I'm gonna be a snowbird / fair weather hunter when I retire!
HHA Half Breed 52@28

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7809 on: February 27, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rossco7002:
I'm always envious when I see you guys out wearing a light sweater and jeans. I'm gonna be a snowbird / fair weather hunter when I retire!
Ross-

A light sweater and jeans. I'm in flip-flops, cargo shorts and a t-shirt. It's about 81 degrees here in Margarettaville. In late Sept. when archery season opens I wear a bug suit over shorts and a t-shirt.

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline tadpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7810 on: February 27, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
Great pictures guys.

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7811 on: February 27, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by tradlongbow:
In late Sept. when archery season opens I wear a bug suit over shorts and a t-shirt.

Darren
That's a bit warm for me. Our season opens October 1st, and although it can be a bit warm the first couple weeks (70's mid-day), it's at least cool enough morning and evening that we can wear long pants!   :bigsmyl:
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7812 on: February 27, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »
Brad-

Me too, It's so hot to hunt in archery season 90's +, that your out there because you really love to bow hunt.
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7813 on: February 27, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
I wish you'd stop posting pics of that bow Jesse, it's pressuring me to reserve a spot on David Miller's waiting list! Lol

I'd take a bug suit and t-shirt for a change. When I'm hunting November I gotta bring an army ruck full of warm kit just to last a morning sit up here. Matter of fact when I shot my buck last fall I was walking back to my truck after being pushed outta my stand by sub-zero temperatures and loss is sensation in my toes! :-)
HHA Half Breed 52@28

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7814 on: February 27, 2012, 05:48:00 PM »
Yes, yes will do   :bigsmyl:
With Turkey season approaching, will be getting the cotton long johns, AKA sweat holders, ready. Last opener was 85deg by 0900! Nothing like saturated cotton on the skin to keep ya cool!

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7815 on: February 27, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »
While I've got the photo up might as well ask a question about my new back quiver - is there a max length that you want arrows protruding out over the top of the quiver? This is Craig's 20 inch model as I'm a bit of a short a$$ but my arrows are 28.5 inches - don't wanna get newer (and shorter) arrows if I can help it as the ones I've got are pricey and seem to shoot good for me.
HHA Half Breed 52@28

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7816 on: February 27, 2012, 06:53:00 PM »
Rossco, I shoot arrows that are 29 1/2" to the back of the head and I use a 22" deep quiver.  Yours looks fine to me.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7817 on: February 27, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
Swampthing...

I used to shoot very heavy bows all the time...over 80# and shot heavy arrows to match...over 750 gr. and liked it.  When I decided a few years ago to lighten my bow weight to maximize my shooting years, I was stuck with alot of heavy arrow shafts.  I shot shafts around 700 gr. out of my 64# bows and they shot great.  However, in re-reading Hill's book and reading Schulz's Straight Shooting and realizing the same info you did,  I lightened my arrows to around 550 gr. with lighter heads. The last few years I've been amazed at the penetration I've gotten...really good...but my arrows are also getting downrange quicker with a flatter trajectory.  My bows don't feel shocky at all either.

This leads me to surmise in my opinion for my circumstances.... A)a well built American Semilongbow doesn't need heavy arrows to shoot well or less shocky (heavy arrows might in fact hide some tillering problems or shooting form issues) B) flatter trajectory leads to better shooting at all distances C) an arrow of 500 - 600 grains is plenty out of any modern bow for all game up to moose on our continent (African/Australian game is the exception possibly) D)  before the heavy arrow or efoc being forced upon us in the last few years,  game animals all over the world were being shot very effectively with longbows (and recurves) by big name bowhunters like Stevenson, Hill, Swinehart, Bear, Pearson, Schulz, Dougherty, Eichler, et al....  I believe there is a middle of the road approach.

I also believe that Schulz said it very well...as you quoted earlier.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7818 on: February 27, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
Nate I have decided to shoot in the 500 to 600 grn range.  My new bow arrived today its a string follow Hill 65" let me tell you it is smooth, fast and accurate.  I only had a little time to shoot it between cattle and gymnastics for my daughter.  I shot an arrow that was only 410 grns and 58# my draw there was no shock at all.  A little twangy but no shock.  515gn arrow and it was wisper quiet and just as fast.  Didn't have time for pics will try and get them up tomorrow.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7819 on: February 27, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
Chris,

look at all the animals our modern popular bowhunter Fred Eichler shoots with a midweight bow and lighter arrows....  I personally think that alot of fellas could benefit from the flatter trajectory and better accuracy of an arrow around 9 gpi rather than the slighter better penetration of an arrow at 12+ gpi.  If all the person is shooting is turkeys and whitetails, penetration is a moot point if the arrow is cedar out of a 40# or heavier bow.  If someone is shooting 600 gr arrows out of a 45# american semilong to make it feel good, there is something wrong with the bow or their longbow shooting form....  just my opinion folks... ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©