3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 140312 times)

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #7880 on: February 29, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
3 Under Yes it will kill hogs and then some.  Sharp head and shoot them in the vitals.  I killed several with a 50 RD bow 3 blade head and 9GPP and never had a problem.  The biggest mistake people make on hogs is shooting them like a deer.  A hog carries its organs forward and low.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7881 on: February 29, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
You'll do just fine with a set up like that. I've seen some big hogs killed with a whole lot less. The most important thing is to know where to hit them. They are not like a whitetail.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7882 on: February 29, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
It's been said here by more than me, but tuning carbons from my hill bows is not an enjoyable experience, I gave it up. Wood or aluminum is so much easier. There just aren't enough spine options where it is an easy process.  It takes so much time to play with point weights and lengths, and shooting 300+ gr out front doesn't interest me.  If you are lucky and a spine grouping happens to fit close to what you require, it's probably a piece of cake. The carbons don't spine what they say they should when you put them on a spine tester.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7883 on: February 29, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Overspined:
It's been said here by more than me, but tuning carbons from my hill bows is not an enjoyable experience, I gave it up. Wood or aluminum is so much easier. There just aren't enough spine options where it is an easy process.  It takes so much time to play with point weights and lengths, and shooting 300+ gr out front doesn't interest me.  If you are lucky and a spine grouping happens to fit close to what you require, it's probably a piece of cake. The carbons don't spine what they say they should when you put them on a spine tester.
Ross and I have been talking for the last couple hours and I said the samething.

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7884 on: February 29, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
I am a wood arrow type of fella , and enjoy the simplicity of 2016's but I have had great success with AD Trad Lites out of my Hill and Hill style bows
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7885 on: February 29, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
OK, maybe I can come at this from another angle as I've also go a dozen 1916's to hand. If I were switching to aluminums what kind of set up would be recommended for the following two Hill bows:

54@26 and 52@28 both drawn to a shade under 26. I've got point weights from 100 - 225.

Thanks for the input guys, I love my durable carbons but want the best arrow flight I can get.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7886 on: February 29, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »
I have one set of carbons that fly out of one of my Hill bows, actually 2 bows with a point change, but they have nothing on wood. I don't like the nocks, heavy points, and extra length. If I shot 65# I might have a different feeling about them. Also, it takes a lot more work to use trad broadheads on carbons with all the extra inserts and such...

I have a friend that spent a ton of time and $ on a carbon set-up.  One set of woodies and he's not looked back. I have been told I am quite picky about arrow flight, so that may play a role too in my preferences.  I can get wood almost carbon straight, so it's only the breaking strength I lack at this point, but I am footing my cedars with ash right now with the arrow-fix tool, so we'll see what that yields!  I should have them crested and fletched in a week.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7887 on: February 29, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
Rosco, probably 1916 or 2016, with multiple head weights, likely either will work.  

If you hunt I would pick a broadhead and work backwards. Sometimes my broadheads fly great, and the same arrow with a different wt field point fly equally well.

Bare shafting is a viable option to help get close with aluminum.  If a desirable head and arrow combo fly great with little to no wobble left right, then with a little tuning with fletched arrows you should have no problem with fine tuning. Usually just a tad longer or shorter will be the ticket. Just be patient.  When arrows fly like there is no paradox it is a beautiful thing.  I make the broadhead fly perfectly, and then find a suitable field point to give me the same flight.

Don't bare shaft with broadheads     :archer2:

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7888 on: February 29, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
Ok, I'm posting again because I have to say that a friend of mine started making straight limb hill style bows and told me today he's gluing mine up soon!!  I'm going to cut and tiller, with help from him, but how fun!  He showed me the pre-glue up layout and it is really cool. I'm looking forward to it for sure!

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7889 on: February 29, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »
A shot from the past:

"I have worn a Howard Hill patch on a casual jacket for nine years now and it has brought out some good conversations.  One night while sitting in a resturant in Rock Springs, Wyoming, a gentleman literally tried to buy it from me, but some things a fellow can't part with no matter how good a deal it is.  If we, as longbow toxophilites, can maintain a high degree of integrity and profesionalism in our ethics and causes, it will make our group an elite and most desireable one to belong to."

Ron Maulding,

Interview, The Longbow Shooters Digest, 1981.
Longbows & Short Shots

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7890 on: February 29, 2012, 11:56:00 PM »
:clapper:
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7891 on: February 29, 2012, 11:58:00 PM »
Rossco

If it is any hekp , I draw just on 26 1/2-27" and I use 2016's cut at 28.25 with 42gn adapter and 160 tgns heads [ 22 gn inserts ] and these fly like absolute darts ... 220gns aprox inc insert in the head .....
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline benmmc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7892 on: March 01, 2012, 01:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by dragonheart:
A shot from the past:

"I have worn a Howard Hill patch on a casual jacket for nine years now and it has brought out some good conversations.  One night while sitting in a resturant in Rock Springs, Wyoming, a gentleman literally tried to buy it from me, but some things a fellow can't part with no matter how good a deal it is.  If we, as longbow toxophilites, can maintain a high degree of integrity and profesionalism in our ethics and causes, it will make our group an elite and most desireable one to belong to."

Ron Maulding,

Interview, The Longbow Shooters Digest, 1981.
Nice!

:clapper:
"We are men of action; lies do not become us." -Wesley

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7893 on: March 01, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
"The saga continues"....indeed.  Just have to share a fascinating chapter in the life of a Hill longbow.  The story began two years ago on the blanket swap at Cloverdale.  There lay a 70" Big Five built by Ted Kramer when he was building bows for HHA.  She was 45#@28" draw.  Black glass on four lams of bamboo, bubinga riser.  The grip was dished with a slight swell on each side for nice hand placement.  I brought her home.

After a time, I decided that she was too long for my taste, and the weight was a bit on the light side and I didn't care too much for the dished grip, so I put her up for sale here on the classifieds.

Shinken bought her--so off to Washington state she went in a heavy pvc tube.  UPS nearly destroyed her!  That tube was left at Shinken's door with the last 6-8" missing--just a jagged edge--and the bow in her sock sticking out the top!  Shinken said she barely escaped serious damage.

Later I noticed Shinken had her up on the classifieds again.  This time she rode back across the country to the home of stabo down in Alabama.  He also found her not quite to his liking and sent her back across country to HHA to begin life anew as a 66"er.  He also had the grip reworked to a straight grip, but she still carries that slight little bit of swell on each side of the riser which I find really nice.  She now was 52@28" beautifully refinished in a nice flat finish sporting a new rust wrap and classy bubinga tip overlays--a real classic looking bow.  Stabo decided to move her on to make room on his rack for some new arrival....so I heard her calling my name!  ;)  

Yesterday she came back home--all like new after the excellent surgery performed by Dr. Ekin--lean, mean, and ready to hunt this fall. I would swear that she purred with contentment when I held her once again in my hands.

Yes, I know. pictures are called for and I just took some but for some reason Photobucket will not let me load them this morning  :thumbsup:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline benmmc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7894 on: March 01, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
Wow, so neat!
"We are men of action; lies do not become us." -Wesley

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7895 on: March 01, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  to Mssrs. Schulz and Mitchel for adding to the saga

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7896 on: March 01, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
I always was a sucker for a great story! That's a tale well told, and a bow well traveled!

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7897 on: March 01, 2012, 11:17:00 AM »
Very cool!

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7898 on: March 01, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7899 on: March 01, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
Wow!!

You are blessed David!

A beauty of a bow and in your wt too!

Thank you for sharing the saga of your "Purrfect" bow.

God bless,Mudd

PS: My "Buddy bow" from Nate will be on it's way today.... Woohoo!! Thank you Lord!!
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©