3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 140226 times)

Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #7960 on: March 04, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
[QB] I got all carried away and ordered material from HH archery and now have a nice all bamboo string follow I call "Blondie".
I'll get pics of both of them and a couple others when I get back in town in a couple of days.

Howard Hill Big Five built by John Shulz for me.  75# @28".

Hi Charlie!  I have this pic of you my computer desktop.  Would love to see "Blondie" when you get the chance to post.

« Reply #7961 on: March 04, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rik:
GMASIUK,

About the finger thing,  

From what I saw yesterday though, a one-finger release is super clean. ...... a one-finger arrow flinger!
HAH!  Just what we need..a totally revolutionized - new and improved shooting form.  70# with one finger...oooh.  That is one tough finger brother!

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7962 on: March 04, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
Man, that photo of Charlie in the snow is as good as it gets. Kinda makes a guy want to pick up his longbow and head out for an adventure.

Regarding the question about the buffalo, the big herd bull was a great adventure, but the one you really want to hear about is the first bull I killed in the wallow. I've not written that one up yet. Figured Bowhunter Magazine would prefer the bigger bull. The first one though, now THAT was a story. Maybe I need to put pen to paper.

Here's the lead for the big bull. Not sure if I can beat that. Might be worth a try though. Stalking that first bull in his bed was one of the most dangerous things I have done. Got a bit dicey when the heavy Brazilian Mahogany shaft drove home. . .

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7963 on: March 04, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
If your screen is too small to be able to read the text in the image above, here's what it said. But I warn you, words don't do the adventure justice.

"Just don’t go in the water, Mate!” Bill’s usually light-natured Australian demeanor turned deadly serious when he gave me that warning—every bit as serious as the massive saltwater crocs he was warning me about. Bill’s warning from several days ago was screaming in my ears, and the very water he had warned me about was now spraying eight feet into the air as a bull buffalo exploded out of the river 20 yards ahead and charged down the trail at full speed straight toward me. I leaped to the left, running toward the nearest tree while yelling “hey, HEY!” at the top of my lungs in an effort to turn the huge bull away.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7964 on: March 04, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
Rik,
One of my dreams is the Aussie buff hunt. Doesn't look like it will happen so I'll just live it through your words and pictures.

Here's a few more longbow pictures just because.

Yew (from Earl Ullrich) and fiberglass longbow,"Honey".68@28"    

My Osage longbow "Yellow Girl", 72#@28",

"Crow Wing" again.    

The Big Five    
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Jon Powell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7965 on: March 04, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
Irish,
My Wesley is 66" and 55@28 and it loves 50-55 spine with 160 up front. I draw 28.5" and I tried the heavier spines because that's what I read everyone was shooting. Well I never could get decent flight so I dropped to the 50-55 and bingo, perfect flight. A test kit is real handy for finding the right spine for your bow. Good luck.
"While beauty blooms on every side, mercy is unknown and death never sleeps in the wilds."  Howard Hill

"The first thing is to overcome fear. When that is accomplished everything takes care of itself." Jeff Cooper

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7966 on: March 05, 2012, 02:48:00 AM »
Charlie... I love your old and newer longbow photos....all along I was secretly hoping your recurve diversion was just a phase and you would come back to the longbow  ;)   ;)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7967 on: March 05, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jon Powell:
Irish,
My Wesley is 66" and 55@28 and it loves 50-55 spine with 160 up front. I draw 28.5" and I tried the heavier spines because that's what I read everyone was shooting. Well I never could get decent flight so I dropped to the 50-55 and bingo, perfect flight. A test kit is real handy for finding the right spine for your bow. Good luck.
Been talking back and forth with magnus about a test kit from 45-75 spine.  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Legendstick53

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7968 on: March 05, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Howard tapered his wooden arrows from the point to the nock so he writes in hunting the hard way page 123. Example from 11/32 a 5/16 nock.I was wondering how many Hill shooters are doing this to or a part of the shaft. And brings it the advantages the are written on the internet?

Mark
Howard Hill Tembo 67 53#28

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7969 on: March 05, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
Folks I am just trying to get through a little more time.

I am waiting for Tony to call me to let me know if his Sunset Hill arrived or not.

My new Sunset Hill has been sitting here in front of my indoor target unopened  since 10 O'clock this morning.

These two bows need to be opened at the same time hence my waiting.

Nate went through a lot to build them as "Buddy Bows" and Tony and I are determined to make it happen the way it's supposed to for the "mojo".

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7970 on: March 05, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
God bless ya Mudd, must be near impossible to not jsut take a peak a what is in that tube!  Heck, I can'twait to see them bows either.

I hope you guys hook up soon.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7971 on: March 05, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
Wow....I don't think I have what it takes to do that, Mudd.    "[dntthnk]"
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7972 on: March 05, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
I would have a hard time mudd
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7973 on: March 05, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
Hang in there Mudd,  I'm sure the pay-off will be worth it.
Molon labe

« Reply #7974 on: March 05, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »
Bummer Mudd!!
No bow today buddy  :confused:

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7975 on: March 05, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »
Mudd deep breaths in through the nose and out through the mouth! Inhale Ice exhale Fire! We don't want you to collapse before you open it!

« Reply #7976 on: March 05, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »
Let's see it is almost 4;30. if that bow would have come to my house at 10A.M. today,(nice weather), it would have had a thousand arrows shot through it by now.

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7977 on: March 05, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
Well, bow is headed my way.   They had a 68" walnut riser Wesley with brown glass in stock in the same weight I wanted.   Pics looked great so it is headed to Lenexa, Ks.
Mel Riley

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7978 on: March 05, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
Oh yeah! Walnut!

Post up pics when you can...  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7979 on: March 05, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
A man's word is a man's word.

I know now that it will be at least another 24 hrs before it can be opened since Tony's bow did not arrive today.

He did say he got some beautiful arrows from Magnus today and promised to post some pictures of them.

Thanks for the support!!

It actually helps knowing there are folks who believe in what it is we are trying to do.

It's a brotherhood thing... and we are all brothers.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©