3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139930 times)

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #8280 on: March 29, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
Ok Hill guys.  I am thinkin about getting a new arm guard.  So I need one that is not hot for the heat in Texas.  Also since my string does hit I need one that won't add to the noise.  So which one do you guys use that fits the bill.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8281 on: March 29, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
SO, not to interrupt the above question...BUT if you guys were to order a D.M. longbow out of theses 2 would you get a Hawk or a Expedition and why?

What do you feel is more traditional glass or no glass(not sure if traditional is the right word..how about authentic?  

And for those who have shot your DM Hawks or Expeditions what do you think of it?

Thanks
Craig Ekins;
70" -60LB "Robin Hood",string follow  #47 of 50. LE
68" -70Lb Redman, string follow all YEW. "Yewlogy"
68" -75Lb@28. 3 lam Boo. String Follow- "LegendStick"

Ron Maulding : 68" Big Horn , Boo and Osage. 78#@27.

David Miller: Old Tom

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8282 on: March 29, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
Geeeezzzz!!! Mr. Lamb!!! ...between you and Ben Maher... I can never quite shake my Howard Hill phase... I'm supposed to be moving on to "other things" ...but all of this talk and classic photos to back things up....what's a guy supposed to do.....????  Guess I'll go shoot some more foam in the yard with my HH Half Breed and get ready for some Spring Hares....  :)  ...probably just pretend bunnies....got kiddoe soccer games to attend and work and such...oh well  :)  
Seriously though....please post more of your cool photos!!!
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8283 on: March 29, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
Hey Kevin ... how are ya mate ?

Don't think a true archery geek ever shakes his Hill phase .. we might go holiday elsewhere .. ti lil' wiggly short "longbows" , curvey ILF hot rod rigs ...
But when it comes down to which would we grab for an all encompassing photo on "real " archery "

... Reckon you'd find a bunch of us grabbing a Hill style bow and hoping we look as good as Charlie !!!
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8284 on: March 30, 2012, 08:23:00 AM »
Had some time to kill at the range yesterday, so I finally took a few pictures of the Tembo that Craig reworked:

Ebony riser and tips, black grip, grey back, natural belly.  Phone pictures are only so good, but I rarely seem to be with a regular camera.

Behind the practice range, some of the old 3D targets are still standing around.  This one stopped to feed about 18 yds out.  Still not where I want to be, but making progress.

TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline JohnI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8285 on: March 30, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
I have a Hawk and Expedition, both are excellent bows. As far as performamce there is not much difference between the two. As far as shooting characteristics I found the all wood Hawk seemef a littlr smoother but not by much. One thkng to keep in mind is that an all wood bow will settle in a bit mine came to the string about an eighth of an inch and stayed there. If overdrawn though an all wood bow will conyinue to take a set if not over drawn it will not be a factor. With the glass Expedition this will not be a factor although I don't believe ant bow should be overdrawn. As far as appearance both bows are beautiful with flawless fit and finish but I am partial to the all wood Hawk. I compared the Expedition to a John Schulz Trophy Hunter with comparable specs and found the Expedition to be a bit faster and better penetration. All this being said I have another Expedition on order. On this one Dave is going to go little lighter on the glass and heavier on the bamboo. I will say both are great bows and are true replicas of what Howard built and shot in every way. You would not go wrong with either one in my opinion.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8286 on: March 30, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
Canopy...
5 out of 6 in the kill zone at 18 yards...not bad.  you don't have to shoot 3" groups to kill animals like some techno people would lead you to believe... ;)

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8287 on: March 30, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
Ben,

We are doing good!!!  Not getting in enough fishing or hunting, but then who does??? LOL!!  :)  

It's so funny...but you are spot on for me.  I enjoy my forays with all of these "cool" or trendy "other Trad" style bows, but keep coming back to Howard Hills for pure enjoyment and "classic" fun!!  :)   I'm sure that I'll keep trying out different stuff, but hopefully I'll be smart enough not to sell anymore of my HH gear to fund those projects  :)  

How have you been???  Doing any hunting or fishing or other fun stuff down in OZ???

Best to Ya!!!
Kevin  :)
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline jbat73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8288 on: March 30, 2012, 01:20:00 PM »
Hey Hill Gang, got a question for ya ... expecting my new Wesley Special any day now and was wondering what everyone reccomends/uses for string silencers. I've always used beaver/otter, may still, just want to pick your experienced brains Gents! Thanks, J   :thumbsup:
White Mountain Traditional Bowhunters

Granite State Bowhunters

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8289 on: March 30, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
I just use a couple wool balls about the size of a golf ball. They dont need much, if any.

Eric

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8290 on: March 30, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »
Well you guys finally got me. Bought a used Tembo yesterday with the full kit. I'll post some pics when it arrives. Specs 58# @ 28'', 68''. Supposed to be about 25 years old and barely used.   :archer2:

Offline jbat73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8291 on: March 30, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
Thanks WESTBROOK, keep the opinions flowing, J   :thumbsup:
White Mountain Traditional Bowhunters

Granite State Bowhunters

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8292 on: March 30, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
Jbat73...you won't need silencers if your braceheight is correct...the string just makes a low hum.  most cannot hear a properly braced Hill bow from more than about 8 feet.  I've never had a relaxed animal jump the string...they are that quiet.  That said, many shooter hear the noise of the release because it's by their ear and they add silencers to quieten the noise in their mind.  Nothing wrong with adding them, but a properly balanced and timed bow is thrown off balance with silencers... imho.

how did all those gents from previous hundreds/thousands of years manage to shoot game without silencers on their bows?  Ever see a pic of Robin Hood have a bow with silencers?  it's pretty much an 'in' thing of the past few years carried over from twangy recurves and compounds...

« Reply #8293 on: March 30, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ben Maher:
Hey Kevin ... how are ya mate ?

Don't think a true archery geek ever shakes his Hill phase .. we might go holiday elsewhere .. ti lil' wiggly short "longbows" , curvey ILF hot rod rigs ...
But when it comes down to which would we grab for an all encompassing photo on "real " archery "

... Reckon you'd find a bunch of us grabbing a Hill style bow and hoping we look as good as Charlie !!!
There it is in a nutshell!

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8294 on: March 30, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by sunset hill:
how did all those gents from previous hundreds/thousands of years manage to shoot game without silencers on their bows?  Ever see a pic of Robin Hood have a bow with silencers?  it's pretty much an 'in' thing of the past few years carried over from twangy recurves and compounds...
X2, I never use them either on my Hill bows. These bows are really quiet.

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8295 on: March 30, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
Canopy...
5 out of 6 in the kill zone at 18 yards...not bad.  you don't have to shoot 3" groups to kill animals like some techno people would lead you to believe...   ;)  
Thanks Nate.  I'm feeling like I'll be fine when hunting season comes around, and I agree with what you're saying.  But I'm comparing myself to where I was with the recurve a few months ago.  Also at about 17-18 yds:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8296 on: March 30, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
Was the hawk and the expedition the same price?
Craig Ekins;
70" -60LB "Robin Hood",string follow  #47 of 50. LE
68" -70Lb Redman, string follow all YEW. "Yewlogy"
68" -75Lb@28. 3 lam Boo. String Follow- "LegendStick"

Ron Maulding : 68" Big Horn , Boo and Osage. 78#@27.

David Miller: Old Tom

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8297 on: March 30, 2012, 04:33:00 PM »
Yes they are. My Hawk is, like John described, smooth and quiet. I don't bother with 15gpp, silencers, skinny strings, and the etc.. to make it quiet. Good form, and proper spine makes for a quiet shot.  I shoot right at 7.5gpp and a 5.5" brace height on my 66"er. When I miss I get another chance.  Hand-shock? huh??  With a glass bow and light arrows you will feel a "jarring" as compared to the non glass'  smooth thrust. And the looks...... Great bow.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8298 on: March 30, 2012, 05:29:00 PM »
Canopy....so true, and good shooting...but my friend, that's a good recurve group on a still target on the range....the longbow will consistently put them in the kill zone when the chips are down and you are in an awkward position and breathing hard...   that's for sure one of the lovely benefits of shooting the straight bow.

we must remember that even Hill shot the recurve well on the range....but couldn't shoot it as well in ALL the necessary hunting shots/positions.  

What I see so many times, is people dictating/setting up the shot scenario so they can shoot their weapon of choice comfortably, (from stance, grip, body position, direction of incoming game, whatever)...  The longbow lets you shoot accurately no matter what shot scenario comes up...you can react to the situation the animal puts you in.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8299 on: March 30, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
Canopy....so true, and good shooting...but my friend, that's a good recurve group on a still target on the range....the longbow will consistently put them in the kill zone when the chips are down and you are in an awkward position and breathing hard...   that's for sure one of the lovely benefits of shooting the straight bow.

we must remember that even Hill shot the recurve well on the range....but couldn't shoot it as well in ALL the necessary hunting shots/positions.  

What I see so many times, is people dictating/setting up the shot scenario so they can shoot their weapon of choice comfortably, (from stance, grip, body position, direction of incoming game, whatever)...  The longbow lets you shoot accurately no matter what shot scenario comes up...you can react to the situation the animal puts you in.
You had me sold a long time ago.  I love the versatility.  That deer group was while kneeling and shooting under a branch, even though I hadn't practiced that way with it yet.  Didn't seem to make a difference.  I really try to practice for hunting.  I usually only know my yardage after the shot when I sometimes count paces to the target.  I try to vary my stance, shoot between trees or branches, sit, kneel, lean, etc to make it more realistic.  I guess I should start running first too and getting my heart rate up once in awhile.

But this style, it definitely be requiring some learnin' and relearnin' for some sucker who's only shot off the web between forefinger and thumb.  It wasn't as easy as picking up a new bow and driving tacks (the way it all sounded at first when I decided to jump in.)

To that end I've put the recurve up on the peg and it hasn't been strung since the beginning of February.  The plan is that at a minimum, it doesn't come down for a full 12 months.  Time to move away from old habits.  The Tembo has been like learning to shoot again, although with a much faster curve.  So progress is good, but I'm looking forward to where I'll be by the start of hunting season in September.

Thanks to all for the pics and stories to keep me in the Hill world.  Not to mention for all the tidbits and technical stuff that's fallen out of this thread.  INVALUABLE.

:archer2:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©