3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139921 times)

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #8320 on: March 30, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by swampthing:
Yes they are. My Hawk is, like John described, smooth and quiet. I don't bother with 15gpp, silencers, skinny strings, and the etc.. to make it quiet. Good form, and proper spine makes for a quiet shot.  I shoot right at 7.5gpp and a 5.5" brace height on my 66"er. When I miss I get another chance.  Hand-shock? huh??  With a glass bow and light arrows you will feel a "jarring" as compared to the non glass'  smooth thrust. And the looks...... Great bow.

Swamp thing, thanks for the words, I ordered a Expedition, but I might change my order to a hawk. I don't have any all wood bows and I think this one is probably the one I really want. Do you think that you might be able tp post a few more pics of it?  I really would like to see the shape of the belly and back as well as the tips.  I would be very gratefully if you could.  It's a big decision to switch my order from the expedition with black back and white belly glass with a grey leather wrap and no strike plate to the Hawk but man I really want an all wood bow.

What  performance difference do you feel between your exp. and your hawk?

Anyway if you could post any pics I would be  very
 Thankful!
Craig Ekins;
70" -60LB "Robin Hood",string follow  #47 of 50. LE
68" -70Lb Redman, string follow all YEW. "Yewlogy"
68" -75Lb@28. 3 lam Boo. String Follow- "LegendStick"

Ron Maulding : 68" Big Horn , Boo and Osage. 78#@27.

David Miller: Old Tom

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8321 on: March 30, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
Or maybe I'll just sell a rifle and get both of them!!
Craig Ekins;

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8322 on: March 30, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by JohnI:
I have a Hawk and Expedition, both are excellent bows. As far as performamce there is not much difference between the two. As far as shooting characteristics I found the all wood Hawk seemef a littlr smoother but not by much. One thkng to keep in mind is that an all wood bow will settle in a bit mine came to the string about an eighth of an inch and stayed there. If overdrawn though an all wood bow will conyinue to take a set if not over drawn it will not be a factor. With the glass Expedition this will not be a factor although I don't believe ant bow should be overdrawn. As far as appearance both bows are beautiful with flawless fit and finish but I am partial to the all wood Hawk. I compared the Expedition to a John Schulz Trophy Hunter with comparable specs and found the Expedition to be a bit faster and better penetration. All this being said I have another Expedition on order. On this one Dave is going to go little lighter on the glass and heavier on the bamboo. I will say both are great bows and are true replicas of what Howard built and shot in every way. You would not go wrong with either one in my opinion.
Thanks John1

I appreciate the words as well. I'm having a hard time deciding if I am goingot Chang my order to a Hawk, from my expedition.

Like I said maybe I should just sell a gun and get both!
Craig Ekins;

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8323 on: March 30, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
I vote for getting both!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline JohnI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8324 on: March 31, 2012, 04:31:00 AM »
Pat,
You might as well sell the gun and get both while the gettin is good otherwise you will always wonder if you got the right one. These bows are like works of art to me, they make me feel good looking at them. You can't have too many.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8325 on: March 31, 2012, 08:03:00 AM »
I agree that living with one bow is a good idea.  I just can't help myself.  I have a few, and they all want to be held a little differently. Mechanics are the same.  I keep meaning to write it down for each one but I just like to shoot. There's a couple I shoot mismatched arrows for and I really should get on the ball and have them all set up.  Two days ago I was shooting at a leaf 2 ft from the vitals from a longer distance, and 1 ft was due to the consistently  bad arrow flight of arrows that weren't spined right! Lol. But they still group.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8326 on: March 31, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »
Gents, what are your thoughts on what a good sized grouping is for a guy who's been shooting Hill style bows exclusively for the last 4 months (aka - me)? Right now I shoot an honest 3.5 - 4 inch group a 13 yards in my little 'basement range', does that strike you as acceptable? Somedays I'll stack arrows right on top of each other but that's what the REAL average would be for my shooting. At the same time I have also changed my style somewhat to utilize a rotatioanal draw technique so there's some re- learning being done there as well.

Also, my one consistent flyer seems to be throwing the odd arrow a few inches high. Anybody have any thoughts on what might be causing that? I've tried to break it down myself but so far haven't had any success.
HHA Half Breed 52@28

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8327 on: March 31, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
Ross, are you asking about hunting accuracy?

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8328 on: March 31, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
I think accuracy as a whole. I know I can kill deer with how I'm shooting now because I've done it but I'm just wondering to what sort of level is everyone at (if that makes sense).

I'm always challenging myself to shoot better or to improve my form but right now my groups don't seem to be getting any smaller and I'm wondering why I've hit a glass ceiling....
HHA Half Breed 52@28

Online ny state land

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8329 on: March 31, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »

just finished my first Hill bow,(first bow period!) Osage over two layers of Boo, one tapered maple, and brown glass on the belly. 55#@28" 68" bow

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8330 on: March 31, 2012, 03:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rossco7002:
I think accuracy as a whole. I know I can kill deer with how I'm shooting now because I've done it but I'm just wondering to what sort of level is everyone at (if that makes sense).

I'm always challenging myself to shoot better or to improve my form but right now my groups don't seem to be getting any smaller and I'm wondering why I've hit a glass ceiling....
For me accuracy is determined not in the group size but in stump shooting.  For hunting practice walking around and being able to shoot at different targets, multiple and longer distances, and focusing on the arrow that is "in the bow" as it is the only shot of importance is key.  

I think standing and shooting "groups" can lead to great form building, but for hunting practice it is way overrated.  I have shot for years where that was the measurement, How well are you grouping?  My interest is in hunting, so the "bag" is for form practice usually close or with eyes closed.  In the woods with the pine cones, dirt banks, leaves, cans, plastic bottles, and any of the various small game "critters" is the best way,  to know your hunting accuracy.  We are human and have good and bad days.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8331 on: March 31, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »
Well put dragonheart i think the same way.Stump shooting to me is the true form of hunting practice.You can cover many angles and different up hill and down hill shots.I shoot alot on my knees whle stumping.Its good practice for the ground hunter.
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8332 on: March 31, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »
Great post Jeff!

Tight groups are an indication of consistancy and generaly good form, both good things.

Stump shooting tests your accuracy, truly unknown distances, uphill - downhill, standing on uneven terrain, through brush...or any other awkward position your in is usually when the critter shows up.

Eric

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8333 on: March 31, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »
Sweet looking bow Stacy, real nice job. Was that a bow blank or did you build it from the ground up?

Online ny state land

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8334 on: March 31, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
I got all the components from kennym here on this site. The information from the bowyers bench. Yes i glued it myself. Great experience!

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8335 on: March 31, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
NY...how did you build your form?
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8336 on: March 31, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
Your right I know about getting both....I think I will call David and tell him to build that Hawk.    One question on an all wood bow, would you guys go straight or string follow? If  it starts life straight won't it develop over time a bit of natural string follow?

Thoughts?
Craig Ekins;

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8337 on: March 31, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »
Done! Didn't shoot that Garand much anyway!

Thanks for nothing guys!

Aaarrggghhhh!!

Smiles for all my friends!

Any pics of expeditions and especially Hawks would be more than welcome....

By the way for the guys that have Expeditions, what belly glass and grip color did you settle on, and did you get shelf leather or are you going to shoot off the wood?  I'm debating  shelf leather (strike plate)
Craig Ekins;

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8338 on: March 31, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
I talked to David yesterday. My Expedition is scheduled for my front door before May 1st. Looking forward to it because it has been a long time since last October.

Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline JohnI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8339 on: March 31, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
The Hawk will settle in a bit but not that much as long as it is not overdrawn. My Hawk has developed only 1/8 inch of set and so far has stayed there. I would go straight. My Expedition has black glass on belly and Myrtle riser with a strip of Rosewood between the riser and belly. Leather on grip is reddish brown. I would post pictures of both Hawk and Expedition but Photobucket doesn't seem to like me I have no success loading pictures.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©