3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139904 times)

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #8380 on: April 02, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
The only picture I have not seen that would help me get a perspective is a shot of the limbs on the Hawk and Expedition, that shows the convex and concave back and belly.   This is the major difference from what  I have been looking at as far as miller bows.  Any pics of the cv/cc limbs?

Thanks guys!
Craig Ekins;
70" -60LB "Robin Hood",string follow  #47 of 50. LE
68" -70Lb Redman, string follow all YEW. "Yewlogy"
68" -75Lb@28. 3 lam Boo. String Follow- "LegendStick"

Ron Maulding : 68" Big Horn , Boo and Osage. 78#@27.

David Miller: Old Tom

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8381 on: April 02, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
Only the back is convex the belly is flat, the "innards" are C/Convex.
 The belly lam, is ground flat on the outside, but is still C/Convex. It fits into the groove of the concave lams under it. Think of a tape measure, the belly of the bow is where the #'s are.  

Offline JohnI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8382 on: April 02, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
One of Dave's Split Bamboo models and a Hawk would look identical to you. The concave convex is pretty much internal, if you cut one of the limbs in half you would see the difference. Dave has a section of a concave convex where you can see the difference. If you contact him I am sure he would send you a picture.

Offline JohnI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8383 on: April 02, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
Jesse we were apparently typing an answer at the same time.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8384 on: April 02, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
Hi John, I killed a shadow on the ground today at just over 50yds with my 26" draw, 125g tips and dacron string.....

Offline JohnI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8385 on: April 02, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
Good job Jesse. Any pictures?

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8386 on: April 02, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
Jesse,  keep up the long range practice....it will pay off.  

something that alot of guys who learn the Hill swing draw form don't realize....  it is important to shoot at a target at long range where the bowarm is elevated to a horizontal position,  or shoot at a target backstop that allows the bowarm to be horizontal, either way works.  It is imperative that the brain and hand/eye coordination learn the total time elapse of the full swing.  Shooting a swing draw at a lower placed target doesn't allow enough time to elapse and the shot happens too quickly and bad form develops almost immediately.  

Swing the bowarm to a level position while drawing, release, and make sure you hold that form until the arrow is in the target on a long shot, or after the arrow is in the backstop on a short shot.   I see way too many guys shooting at a ground level target and then drop their arm further after the shot.  bad stuff.

Also, shooting at longer range targets allows the mind/hand/eye coordination to learn about arrow flight and trajectory.  There is no challenge in shooting a longbow if all you ever do is shoot close enough that the arrow flies flat to the target....10 - 18 yards...woopee, the arrow went in a straight line. hard to figure huh?  go out and shoot at 30 - 50 yards and learn your trajectory and form. I promise, it will help your short range shooting.  Like Hill told Schulz, who repeated it..."what's your arrow doing at 30 yards?"  most guys today don't have a clue.  They never shoot past 20.

Offline bigbowsh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8387 on: April 02, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
I knew this would happen if I kept reading all of these pages on this topic,HH bug got me.Just got off the phone after ordering a HH Halfbreed.
I have only shot a Hill bow a few times.I can't wait to get started on this new adventure in archery.

Thanks   Harry

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8388 on: April 02, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
Nicely put Nate and very true .

It kinda saddens me that long range shooting is so often neglected . Not only is it great fun to watch the arrows sail as they fly "to the mark" ... it is great way get feedback on your form and accuracy . Perhaps it is the slow death of Field Archery that as contributed to the short range mentality ...
[ side note and off topic ... gee I'd love to see a field tourney and comp for "real longbows and american AFB's ]

Get your shooting good at fifty yards and the hunting shots at 20 will be a bunch easier ...

I think that archery has a path for everyone to go down , but it seems sometimes that we can get lost in the need for "more" rather than focusing on what is "better" ... Them old fella's knew a thing or two that many of us have forgotten .. ot never even knew

Reading the works Hill, Schulz ,Thompson even  Don Carson  reveal hunting archers who seemed to know the full advantage of long range shooting and practice ... and why archery is fun in the first place .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline john gilbert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8389 on: April 02, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
Exactly Nate. And, shooting like you mentioned makes the 10 to 15 yd shots I love, seem so much more managable.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8390 on: April 02, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
Well now, see I did just that Sunday.  I went out and shot the field course with the Tembo.  I had so much fun watching the arrow arc through the air.  But I'll be honest, I was pretty happy to hit the target stand at 60 or 80 yards.  If I could put it on the paper I was ecstatic.  Many fell short, a few went wide.

But then on the shorter targets farther down the course I had a hard time.  I found that on the longer targets I was doing too much thinking.  I had lost the fluidity of the shot.  That killed me on the 20 yard shots.  By the end I started to get back to not thinking and things improved a little.

Guess it's all about practicing something different and becoming well-rounded.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8391 on: April 02, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
It is quite something when you analyze Hill's words..."if you form is right you won't be too far off at fifty yards".  Holding your form steady with a horizontal bowarm will put most guys about point on at fifty to sixty yards...just about the easiest shot to do.  

Shooting at long range takes the pressure out of picking a spot and you can actually shoot more fluid because you are shooting at a general area.  This relaxes the mind and you will shoot better when you consider the distance.  Your groups can amaze you at long range.  Picking a spot at distances of 20-30 yards is very stressfull for shooters...hence the close range shooting mentality.

Go outside and shoot for fun at long range and see how well you shoot when you begin to relax.

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8392 on: April 02, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
As much as I'd like to, I can't read through all 560 pages of this thread. So, answer me this, do Bamabows count or not? Just wondering if I'll be able to join this party when mine arrives.   :D
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8393 on: April 02, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
I don't know if this is correct or not but when I practice my long range shooting I find the range where I am point on.  Meaning tip of my arrow on the target gets me a center hit. Then I try and shoot that a bunch. IM not focusing on the arrow tip but I know it there because I put it on the target while looking at the target.  I Do this with 3D targets to help my brain recognize the size of the animal and relate that to required elevation of the bow arm.

Then after doing that for 8 arrows or so (12 in my quiver) I walk forward and shoot from closer ranges as I approach the target to get my arrows,  that keeps me seeing the closer sight pictures and practice .  

I do this over and over. Then I will change angles and start over.

Just the way I do it not that anybody else should.  

My point on is about 45  to 50 yards.
Craig Ekins;
70" -60LB "Robin Hood",string follow  #47 of 50. LE
68" -70Lb Redman, string follow all YEW. "Yewlogy"
68" -75Lb@28. 3 lam Boo. String Follow- "LegendStick"

Ron Maulding : 68" Big Horn , Boo and Osage. 78#@27.

David Miller: Old Tom

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8394 on: April 02, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
Hey bigbowsh, I know what you mean. I haven't ordered a big five yet but the urge is becoming more than I can stand. It doesn't help that they have one in stock that would really work for me. I have 4 bows hanging on the wall now. Two vintage Bear recurves, a BW, and a Roy Hall Navajo Stick. The Navajo Stick gets most of my attention these days.

Help!
Can you ever have too many bows?

Ross
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8395 on: April 02, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
I've got a buddy who shoots longbows that I go around and around with over practice distance. He's
not the sharpest pencil in the box by any means but good at heart.

I just can't get it through his skull that practice beyond 12 yards would be valuable to him. His response is something like this. "I shoot most all my deer at 12 and don't take longer shots,why should I."

Jeesh!! Where is the fun in that anyway. After nearly 60 years he is only effective at 15 yards and under.
In the mean time I've finished previously shot animals for him at distances beyond 30yards. He thinks it's majic but I like to think my shooting is just well rounded and not bound by one distance.

Like Nate said before, from 0 to 25yards you just point the arrow and it goes there.

Hone your form and the longer shots will tell you how well you've done at that.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8396 on: April 02, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
So Nate, when are you going to do the "Good" weather dance so that I can get up in South Hills for some of this practice?    :wavey:
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8397 on: April 02, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
Hone your form and the longer shots will tell you how well you've done at that.
what Mr Lamb said .....
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8398 on: April 02, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
I love taking the long shots.

Right now I can shoot out to 70 yds but hopefully I'll get my back stop improved and moved where I can shoot out to at least 100 yards.

30 and 40 yds are a lot easier to hit after shooting longer ranges.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8399 on: April 02, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
I was out at the range today with a good friend of mine and we were shooting up to 50yards. I was shooting my Hill bow that I've had for about 15 months. Because I've been shooting that bow for so long it's become an extension of my arm. Being that I know exactly where to aim to hit the kill zone, the arrows fly right in. That bow and I has come together as one when I shoot.

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©