3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139906 times)

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #8400 on: April 03, 2012, 12:57:00 AM »
Widows Son,LOL " Can I ever have to many Bows ?" At 4 bows son your just starting out! I'm down to about 26,plus 1 more coming,my buddy Cacciatore riding around 105.No such animal as to many bows,and your definately asking the wrong bunch here.LOL
This Hill thread has been the most interesting topic,along with the most information I think ever compiled on shooting the Hill style bow.So much praise to all the experienced Fellas for sharing all there knowledge and expertise to the rest of us.
I had a bow sitting on my rack that was given to me by my wife for Christmas in 1984.A chekmate goldenhawk longbow 68" and 64#@28".I got a new string for it and had some old 2219's that I capped,refletched,stuck 4" of oak dowelling up the front,I put 200 pionts on,they weigh 690 grains.Since my surgerys I am not suppose to be shooting this weight!Thru all my rehab I've been visualizing shooting this bow .I strung it up 4 months ago and left it strung ,pulling it 3 to 4 times a day.Last week I took her out side and finally let loose.I think its the best I've shot in years.I came in with a selfsatisfaction I have never felt.God that bow shoots good.Those arrows at 20 yards were smacking that little water bottle 2 out of 3 shots.Kudus to all you fellas on here for keeping my spirits up and making this happen.this Hill Fire burns stronger every Day!
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Berliner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8401 on: April 03, 2012, 06:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ben Maher:
Nicely put Nate and very true .

It kinda saddens me that long range shooting is so often neglected . Not only is it great fun to watch the arrows sail as they fly "to the mark" ... it is great way get feedback on your form and accuracy . Perhaps it is the slow death of Field Archery that as contributed to the short range mentality ...
[ side note and off topic ... gee I'd love to see a field tourney and comp for "real longbows and american AFB's ]

Get your shooting good at fifty yards and the hunting shots at 20 will be a bunch easier ...

I think that archery has a path for everyone to go down , but it seems sometimes that we can get lost in the need for "more" rather than focusing on what is "better" ... Them old fella's knew a thing or two that many of us have forgotten .. ot never even knew

Reading the works Hill, Schulz ,Thompson even  Don Carson  reveal hunting archers who seemed to know the full advantage of long range shooting and practice ... and why archery is fun in the first place .
I would punctuate what Nate and Ben wrote. Here`s an example that a good old Hill Style longbow is still competitive: I witnessed the World Field Champs 2010 in Germany being held on a tough terrain. Steep up`n downhill every single shot.

According to Steve Morley, a top-notch shooter from England, there were several Hill-Style shooters participating in men`s longbow. The guy who finally placed 3rd after 5 days of shooting out to 80 yards shot a 65 lbs Hill-Style Longbow. The only downside of shooting a relatively heavy bow was that he ran out of steam after 600+ arrows and 5 days of physically and mentally draining competition on the last day.
I think Darren knows quite a bit about field archery....    :archer:  

I regularly shoot out to 60 yards, which is the max distance for 3D shooting. After practicing these long shots 30 yards seem actually close.
Jerry Hill - Stalker deluxe 69" [email protected]
Osage Selfbow - 66" [email protected]

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8402 on: April 03, 2012, 06:52:00 AM »
Nate's post and the follow-up by Mr.Lamb are real good stuff.
I am doing what I am doing because I like the way the arrow flys through the air,and the more air it flys through,the better I like it. It has been that way since I was 7 years old.
Long range shooting is as much fun and good practice as a guy can have with a bow and arrow.
It allows a shooter to be fluid and not static.
I really think that most shooters would be amazed at what they could do if they stepped outside the bounds of short range practice.
Charlies friend thinks it is magic,and sometimes it is. Some call it luck,and sometimes it is,I find that the more I practice,the luckier I get. and when you practice at long range,it is surprising what starts to come together.

This is still good stuff after 561 pages,and it feels like the party has just begun.

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8403 on: April 03, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
Chances are if it wasn't fun I wouldn't stay at it for very long which is why I never practice.

When I think of having to practice almost anything it starts to feel like... well "work!!"(forgive the 4 letter word)...lol

I love shooting and as Two Tracks stated.. the further the arrow flies, the further I get to watch the "magic" that happens.

So what if I don't hit the exact center every time? It's all good and who knows maybe the next one will be exactly where I wanted it to go.

The better my form, the better are my chances are that the "magic" will happen perfectly.

God bless,Mudd

PS: I hope someone gets "it"....lol pssst...it's a part of the journey!
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8404 on: April 03, 2012, 08:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Two Tracks:

...I like the way the arrow flys through the air,and the more air it flys through,the better I like it.

...I find that the more I practice,the luckier I get.
:archer:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8405 on: April 03, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
Get that arrow "up and out" regardless of the distance inside 60-70yds. Just do it naturally.  
  Notice how on concentrated movements, {anytime you deliberately concentrate on draw movement, shoulder rotation, hand placement etc..}  better known as target style, or target form,  you tend to "hold on" for a couple before the shot happens?
  Bore a hole in your target, swing up and point your fingers for a release. Then go look in a mirror and see how much draw length you are now. When your ego tells you "you are longer than that"  be stronger than her and continue to just shoot in the above fashion. Ishi, J.Schulz, both never drew past 26" and I would not bet that they have never "really" killed anything with there pipsqueke arms. Baloney, Ishi pulled about 40#. John's later bows were in the mid 60#'s
 The point of this is, though, stare at your target, swing draw up and shoot, don't hang on, aim, think, contemplate, etc. etc..
  That is the one place in the, whole, swing draw, Hill Style that will probably the hardest thing your ego will have over you. Sad but true..... or is it........    let that string go.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8406 on: April 03, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:

Originally posted by sunset hill:
you shoot one bow only for 12 months and you will forever be a 'one bow' guy and you will shoot better than you ever have.  When you 'really learn' a bow and shooting it becomes second nature is when you will be an above average shot....(per Hill's instructions) ...
no truer words about this sticks 'n' string game have ever been spoken.  in this day and age of acquiring more and more stick bows, 'tis the smart archer that finds a sweet stick to shoot daily and looks no further. [/b]
X3

Keep the wind in your face!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8407 on: April 03, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
I received my first HH longbow yesterday so as of today you all have a new member thanks to Canopyboy.
Its 70" and 65#@28. The "Big 5" model.
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8408 on: April 03, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »
3blades,say goodbuy to your sanity and bank account!LOL There just like Lays potato chips," Betcha you can't shoot just one" !
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8409 on: April 03, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
I've thought a lot about this one bow thing for several years now. While I'm not a "bowaholic" like some I know, I have whittled my collection down to three bows that I shoot. One is shot irregularly, another is shot regularly irregular and the third is shot every time I go out to shoot. My every day (every time) bow is my Tembo. From the very first cold shot to last one for the day, that bow just seems to draw my focus right to the target and it lays the arrows right there. From 8 to 10 yards it is scarey. 10 to 18 yards is spooky accurate and 18 to 35 yards is no sweat.  As for shooting the same bow for 12 months, I can't rightfully say. That's because my new Dave Miller Expedition will be here in about 3 weeks.
   :bigsmyl:  

Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8410 on: April 03, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
Here is a pic of the new to me HH
    :campfire:  

60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8411 on: April 03, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »
I've been shooting my Half Breed almost exclusively for the past few months while I make some changes to my form (to cut down on variables). Gotta say I really notice a difference already without the subtle things like grip size and draw weight changing.

Gonna stick with that bow straight through 2012 and see what it does for me.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8412 on: April 03, 2012, 02:16:00 PM »
Good looking bow 3Blades!!
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8413 on: April 03, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »
Nice job ny state land!!!  Good looking bow!!  If she shoots as good as she looks, you've got a real winner!!
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline benmmc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8414 on: April 03, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
My situation is very similar, Rossco, though I only received mine in late Feb. I have been and will be shooting my HH Wapiti exclusively. I sold my other bows (except for my hickory selfbow).

I shoot about 50-125 arrows every day with my Hill, unless my shoulder is bothering me. Most of the time one day off takes care of it. Over the past month or so I've improved a lot, with many changes to my form, since I was used to shooting recurves.

The hardest thing for me to get used to was bending my bow arm. I am more consistent with it bent, though. Just seems like a whole new set of muscles that I'm now using in the bow arm. And, of course my draw is shortened about 3/4".

Here's my current form:

"We are men of action; lies do not become us." -Wesley

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8415 on: April 03, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »
ben,  form looks good.  nice in-line draw, relaxed pose, relaxed spine no leaning forward too much and very nice bowhand grip. your very posture states that you are controlling the bow very well.
  very cool to see someone with a backquiver, armguard, longbow and stiff glove, and a plaid shirt.

Simplicity is indeed perfection.

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8416 on: April 03, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
Wow!!!
I missed a lot of good posts and photos the last few days.  For those that I didn't specifically call out for posting beautiful bows...my apologies!...I sure did notice them though!!!  Awesome!!  Really neat thoughts on the long distance shooting and practice!!
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8417 on: April 03, 2012, 03:48:00 PM »
3Blades --  You look rather happy about what I got you into.  We're up to at least 4 with Hill or Hill style bows on our Sunday shoot now.  Hope you've made it off the couch on the homefront.  Can't wait to try it out!

-canopy
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline benmmc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8418 on: April 03, 2012, 03:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by sunset hill:
ben,  form looks good.  nice in-line draw, relaxed pose, relaxed spine no leaning forward too much and very nice bowhand grip. your very posture states that you are controlling the bow very well.
  very cool to see someone with a backquiver, armguard, longbow and stiff glove, and a plaid shirt.

Simplicity is indeed perfection.
Thanks for the encouragement Nate! Good to know I'm not practicing the wrong thing anymore.  :)
"We are men of action; lies do not become us." -Wesley

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8419 on: April 03, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
benmmc, the right grip on an HH will make a world of difference. Great job
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©