3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139898 times)

Offline Peter O. Stecher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #8420 on: April 03, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
Great looking pics, the Big Five vintage style, and also Ben's form! Greets!

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8421 on: April 03, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
Sweet looking bow Ben! I'm shooting about the same as you and have really enjoyed getting so familiar with my Half Breed.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8422 on: April 03, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
Sorry boys,
 I tried to create a poll only within the HH thread, it went on the main Pow Wow forum.  Its a poll on string silencers...dont know if I can get it moved to the HH thread...dont really want to offend anybody out there who is not shooting Hill style bows but I really only want to see the results of Hill style bows...

Moderator Help?  Also if I could get the "see results "prior to it being finished , I messed that up.

Thank you.
Craig Ekins;
70" -60LB "Robin Hood",string follow  #47 of 50. LE
68" -70Lb Redman, string follow all YEW. "Yewlogy"
68" -75Lb@28. 3 lam Boo. String Follow- "LegendStick"

Ron Maulding : 68" Big Horn , Boo and Osage. 78#@27.

David Miller: Old Tom

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8423 on: April 04, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
Thanks for the complements on the new bow. I got it tuned today and for my 70" HH Big 5 65@28 it seems to shoot GT55/75 30" with 50g brass insert and 125g field points bare shafts to 20yds very straight. Does that sound right?
Lots of fun to shoot for sure....
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8424 on: April 04, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
Ok, so for the guys that have Miller  bows , what is your favorite one to shoot, which one is the one that you bend back most regularly, if you had to make the shot to save your life, which one would it be?  For the Hawk and Expedition owners which one is the go to one for you between the 2?

Thanks.
Craig Ekins;

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8425 on: April 04, 2012, 11:42:00 PM »
My Miller ol' Tom is about as sweet as a bow gets ... mine is 66" 52# @ 27" with yew lams and brown glass .

Just seems to lob the arrows in where I want and is whisper quiet .

Just an all round beautiful bow and the craftsmanship is just flawless .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8426 on: April 05, 2012, 12:40:00 AM »
I once had an Old Tom by Davd Miller when I was shootin' RH and it was a sweet shooter.  That bow had a very low vapor pressure in the secondary market when I put it up for sale because I switched to LH shootin'...the buyer was just tickled....

Keep the wind in your face!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline JohnI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8427 on: April 05, 2012, 05:25:00 AM »
Between the Expedition and the Hawk I couldn't say. It would be like having to make a choice between losing an arm or a leg. Between my Ol' Tom and my Split Bamboo it would be the Split Bamboo.

Offline jbat73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8428 on: April 05, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »
Wow!!!
I missed a lot of good posts and photos the last few days.

Thats an under statement, nice Pics of bows gang, my "Wesley Special" arrived Sat. morn (will get pics up as soon as can) and what a happy camper I am. Been shooting non-stop trying to tune some arrows, and took Nate and Charlies suggestion about no silencers. I been foolin' around with brace height and the audible hum that I was hearing is almost gone. If I switch from shooting aluminum to wood I don't think I'd hear much of anything, thanks for the tips guys!!! J   :thumbsup:
White Mountain Traditional Bowhunters

Granite State Bowhunters

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8429 on: April 05, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by jbat73:
Wow!!!
I missed a lot of good posts and photos the last few days.

Thats an under statement, nice Pics of bows gang, my "Wesley Special" arrived Sat. morn (will get pics up as soon as can) and what a happy camper I am. Been shooting non-stop trying to tune some arrows, and took Nate and Charlies suggestion about no silencers. I been foolin' around with brace height and the audible hum that I was hearing is almost gone. If I switch from shooting aluminum to wood I don't think I'd hear much of anything, thanks for the tips guys!!! J    :thumbsup:  
I set the poll up on the Pow wow about silencers on your HH bow, meant for it to be here under the HH bug,
Since you talked to Nate what did he say to you about brace height and string vibration without silencers?
 I just replaced my string on my HH Robin Hood and put on a nice SBD string, its braced at 5.75 right now and shoots great but I've always had fur silencers on these bows...its nice not having them on for looks but I still get a mild ammount of string ring post shot, its not bad , just different.

what did Nate talk about?
Craig Ekins;

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8430 on: April 05, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
I am not speaking for Nate, but we hunt and field shoot together, so I have gleaned a bit (understatement) from him.  I think jbat is referring to Nate and Charlie's posts about not using silencers a few pages back.

When Nate built my bow, he put a Fast Flight string on it.  I have since built 12 strand D-97 strings for it and use no silencers.  The brace height, nocking point height, string material and strand count, arrow material and weight, the shooters style / form are all things that had to be played with to get it quiet - part of the fun.  I started out with carbon shafts because that is what I had on hand.  Due to Nate's good natured chiding three years ago, I made the move to wood and have never looked back.  If I hear noise, it is me plucking the string    :thumbsup:  

Every bow will be slightly different and there is no pat formula, just guidelines.
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline jbat73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8431 on: April 05, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
MT Longbow, Ray G is right on, to quiet down the new Wesley I simply addressed the brace height so far. When it arrived I strung it up and let the string strech a bit, (it braced at 5 7/8" origanally, let stretch out to about 5 1/2"), then started twisting until I reached 6 1/4". Craig reccomends a 6 3/8" brace height for a 68" bow. HHA have different reccomendations for different lengths of longbows. But I settled in at just over 6 3/8". Sound is now minimal, I think more from aluminum than any thing else. I am so wanting to try some wood arrows to see if that will make any difference as well. Good luck, Good Shooting, J   :thumbsup:

Granite State Bowhunters

Offline jbat73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8432 on: April 05, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
PS- looking for the very best string avilable for purchase, any opinions??? Bow is 56@27" thanks, J

Granite State Bowhunters

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8433 on: April 05, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »
Jbat73-

I alternate from B-50 and D97, my bow is 50#'s. I had a 16 strand string made and the classic nock fits inside the string firmly. The bow is much snappier when the arrow is released and still silent.

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8434 on: April 05, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
Need a little info one not using silencers........
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8435 on: April 05, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »
I use a few strands of 1 1/2" to 2" cat whiskers on my Shelton. It stops the slight after-shot string buzz and adds almost no weight to the string. It lets me keep my brace height low, eliminating hand shock without worrying about noise. I really don't see much of a downside. I'm using a D97 10 strand string, BTW.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8436 on: April 05, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
I agree with a little silencer, it just stops the buzz after the shot. I use muskrat, it's a little less poofy than beaver and light brown. There is less buzz if you use heavier arrows too.

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8437 on: April 06, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
I took the silencers off the string on my Jerry Hill.  Upon doing it I noticed some need for tuning  beyond what I had already done, but the payoff has been a better shooting bow that is still very quiet.  I think those wool puff balls were hiding some room for improvement. Anyone else notice anything like this?
Molon labe

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8438 on: April 06, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
back when I started shooting longbows, no one put silencers on them, and everyone knew they were way quieter than recurves or compounds.  Everyone shot them and got used to the feel of the string hum and quietness of the low vibration.  Nowadays, someone will shoot a bow three times and start tinkering with silencers and all sorts of stuff.

I would be willing to bet, that if someone takes the silencers off their straight end longbow and tunes the bow to a lower braceheight around 6" or less, and goes out for one month and shoots at least 100 -200 arrows, they won't even miss the silencers, will be amazed at how quiet the bow is, and the string hum will be ignored....and probably won't put the silencers back on because they now know how good the bow can really shoot.

Offline Basil_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8439 on: April 06, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
Very random but does anyone have a hill bow without a shelf on it?

Been thinking about getting one without a shelf to be able to shoot both left and right.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©