3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139881 times)

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #8500 on: April 09, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
Ok because I am a bone head and like to try stuff I pulled my leather off of my rest and cleaned it up and am shooting directly off of the wood.  I don't see any difference really in arrow flight or noise but it does remove the variable of my rest coming up in wet weather.  So how many of you guys shoot off of the wood?  I know Hill shot that way.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8501 on: April 09, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8502 on: April 09, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
30coupe... I always use regular serving material. That was some nice soft yellow nylon of unknown origin and size.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8503 on: April 09, 2012, 11:38:00 PM »
Chris...no sideplate here...just some leather on the shelf so that when I draw the head of the blunt into the bow there is a little clearance.  The arrow flies away from the bow upon release anyway so the leather sideplate just adds more distance from centershot.  Schulz advised the same as Hill in that regard many years ago..."take off the sideplate if you want to shoot better..." or something like that.  Rod Cam can back me up on this...

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8504 on: April 10, 2012, 12:04:00 AM »
Thanks, Charlie!

Nate and Chris, the only reason I have VERY thin leather on my side plate is noise. Although I haven't tried the Shelton without it, when I built my Hill style hickory board bow, I could definitely hear the arrows sliding across the bare wood shelf and side plate on the DRAW. As a result, I added the leather.

As Nate said, the arrow shouldn't touch the bow on release, so noise on release isn't a factor. Maybe I'm overdoing it, but I like quiet!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

« Reply #8505 on: April 10, 2012, 12:04:00 AM »
So if taking the leather off makes them more accurate and center shot, why just not make them that much more center shot to begin with?

Offline Rod Cam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8506 on: April 10, 2012, 07:35:00 AM »
Chris, Nate is right in what he is telling you about the side plate, many years ago I met John Schultz and got to know him, he told me then to take the side plate off and my shooting would become better, I really cannot explain why but it worked.  Everything that John advised me to do and I listened to him was always to my benefit.  I have never seen anybody shoot a bow as good as John.  One other thing he told me, keep the arrows as short as you can and shoot one bow only,

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8507 on: April 10, 2012, 07:53:00 AM »
Pavan Question. "So if taking the leather off makes them more accurate and center shot, why just not make them that much more center shot to begin with?"
Probably not wise to cut that deep into a piece of Myrtle that is on an 84#'er, Especially when there isn't any glass, 37 glues lines of laminated reinforcements, carbon fiber,  etc.. etc.. to keep it together. Besides, when you determine the depth by cutting it, till it "shoots right" why would you want to go any further.   :smileystooges:

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8508 on: April 10, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
My arrows are showing a tad stiff anyhow.  Maybe I'll pull the sideplate off tonight.  If Nate and John both say the same thing, it's worth a shot (or a 100....)
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8509 on: April 10, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »
Dave-

I don't shoot with the side plate either, what I use to protect the finish and to make it silent when the arrow is drawn across the shelf is this tape they use in the doctor's office, it's soft cloth surgical tape. Buy one roll and it will last forever...

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8510 on: April 10, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
I dont use a side plate on my sunset hill. I jusgt put a little johnsons paste wax on it. I was thingking about useing a trick the wensels talk about. Putting some tire gel on the arrows.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8511 on: April 10, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
What's tire gel? and what do the Wensels use it for?

Inquiring minds want to know....lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8512 on: April 10, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
In one of the "Masters" DVDs one of the brothers said he uses Tire black on his shafts so they pull easier from targets, and possibly aids in penetration on animals with a slick surface.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8513 on: April 10, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
Hmmmmm....... Bottled "Owl Snot". Whoodathunkit??   :thumbsup:    :laughing:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

« Reply #8514 on: April 10, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
I have heard about the deeper sight window cut from Craig, years back and the fear of the back lams cracking at the sight window.  I cut my own 1/8" from center and  use a thin piece of deer skin. I have never had anything crack at the sight window, I think it may be because my bows bend more out at the tips and that may take some strain off the center. My longbows that I bought from John Mac Donald are cut more to center than my own, they never crack either and I have to admit that I can get by with a stiffer arrow out of them, but if  such a small thing can make as much difference as some think, perhaps a softer more forgiving arrow would achieve the same effect.  Certainly Hill's personal bows were cut much more shallow than some of the more modern bows, but still I have tried taking all of the side plate off, I did not see anything change with my own setup for arrow flight or accuracy at the time. That was with 64# Schulz bows. I decided at the time that I did not like the sound of my cedar arrows while being drawn so I went to some thin deer hide to quiet the draw down.

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8515 on: April 10, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
Mudd one one of masters of the bare bow I think #1 one of them ( I cant ever remember which is which lol) says he wipes his arrows down every 3 weeks or so with that stuff you put on tires to clean them and leave a shine. Supposed to make the arrows real slick.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8516 on: April 10, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by MikeNova:
Mudd one one of masters of the bare bow I think #1 one of them ( I cant ever remember which is which lol) says he wipes his arrows down every 3 weeks or so with that stuff you put on tires to clean them and leave a shine. Supposed to make the arrows real slick.
It's actually the tire gel that you put on AFTER cleaning the tires. It just keeps them looking shiny black for a while. I've used it on arrows too, and it does make them slick. It kind of has an odor to it for a while though, so if you're going to hunt with them, you might want to put it on a couple weeks in advance. It certainly helps with pulling them from foam targets, but I find that I have to hold the fletches to pull because the darn stuff makes the shafts so slick.

The Wenzels are using it on carbon shafts, but it works fairly well on woodies as well...not so much on aluminum in my experience. I can tell you a little of it goes a long ways on arrows. One bottle is a lifetime supply and then some!

Pavan and I are on the same page with the sound issue. The goatskin I have on my sideplate is probably thinner than the moleskin someone else mentioned. Plus it looks better and lasts longer. If I ever get to where I shoot well enough to notice 1/32" of difference in center shot, I'll be a happy camper!    :bigsmyl:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8517 on: April 10, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
"If I ever get to where I shoot well enough to notice 1/32" of difference in center shot, I'll be a happy camper!"

No kidding!

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8518 on: April 11, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
Nock, Nock.....????

I have been practicing nocking per Schulz video from the back quiver.  Getting a little faster without looking.  I was fooling around with a vintage Bear arrow with the old wide mouth speed nock and found it was much, much easier to nock compared to the Bohning classic nocks I had been using.  Really funneled in the string.

Does anyone still use a similar old style nock with success??  The Nirk nock looked about as close but is still a snap type....  Using the split finger Hill style I am no longer that concerned with a snap fit….  Are there any other modern options still available?

What say you all?

Greg

« Reply #8519 on: April 11, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »
i use Mercury nocks they have a higher rounder vane to get the thumb on than the Nirks. I have always been a bit scared of the Nirks, I have had a number of them explode on me when shooting in cold conditions.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©