3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139869 times)

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #8540 on: April 13, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
""I don't give a rip about my arrows. They are closely matched and straight and ready to be shot away at a moments notice.

What did someone say once?.... arrows aren't equipment, they are supplies!!""

Good stuff Charlie, I like it.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8541 on: April 13, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
"Arrows are supplies !!".   Love it ....now that is a bowhuntin universal truth IMO.........Good stuff Charlie
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8542 on: April 13, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
Anyone have pics of a Hill cocobola riser with brown glass?  Craig has a couple stock bows but I can't picture that combo.
Thanks

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8543 on: April 13, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
Send craig a message and he will send pics quickly. He's usually good about that.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

« Reply #8544 on: April 13, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
Somewhere on this thread I posted a pic of my HalfBreed with the coco handle, but with clear glass.  I won't have it much longer, it is going the way of my Schulz.  I am selling them and sticking to my 52 pound bows.

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8545 on: April 14, 2012, 12:31:00 AM »
Thanks,
I didn't realize I could get pics from Craig

Offline 450 marlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8546 on: April 14, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
Wesley Special on grand Rapids MI craigslist under sporting goods listed for 275

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8547 on: April 16, 2012, 07:55:00 AM »
Everyone must have had a great weekend.  Only two posts (none yesterday), and I had to go to the bottom of page 2 to find the thread!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8548 on: April 16, 2012, 08:08:00 AM »
58winters...when you get pics you should post them here
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8549 on: April 16, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
A warning about the mercury speed nocks!

Well, I ordered 2 bags if 100 nocks in black and orange.  Glued one up and started shooting.

They seemed to be the same brittle plastic as those bearpaw nocks I had trouble with nocks failures on heavy bows with FF before.

Well, second shot with my 31 inch cedar shaft, 63 pound draw weight Big-five, with a 21 strand FF string, and the nock exploded on release!  Luckily I did not see any damage to the bow but it was a dry fire situation.

Never had a Classic nock failure.

I will not be using these nocks.  Shame, I like the wide throat.

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8550 on: April 16, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
Dilema.  Allen Boice oF Liberty bows just announced a new model. Forward handle string follow. Just when the stable had been reduced to one of his English models and a Hill Wesley Special due to shoulder issues.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8551 on: April 16, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
I've had two (2) Classic nock failures within a  week. The first split in the throat and caused a dry fire. Caught the second before I shot it. I was split at the shaft with the crack running 1/2 way up the side of the nock.

I bought some Nirk Nocks and have been shooting them for about a month. So far the seem to be just fine.

Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8552 on: April 16, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
I've never had a classic nock blow upon release.  I've broken a lot though. I shoot up to ~55 lbs for the past 5 years. I used mercury nocks a long time ago and they were fine.  Its a shame they are so brittle now.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8553 on: April 16, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
I've shot the Mercury's for years,  have some of the older ones and newer ones and haven't had the breakage issues...have to look them over for quality when installing them, cull a few, but they are the cheap end of the arrow.  Throwing a few away now and then is a small price to pay for liking the style.

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8554 on: April 16, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
Im with Nate on nocks I really like the size of mercury speed nocks on all my arrows wood or carbons, for carbons I add the little aluminum adaptors, they work well and add a little weight which is fine.

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8555 on: April 16, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
I had this problem with Nirk nocks several years ago. They were very brittle and eventally I threw away all 60 or so that I had left. I like the mercury nocks and still have around 3 dozen 10 year old ones. I've been using the classic nock here lately and have been very happy with them.
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8556 on: April 16, 2012, 11:14:00 PM »
Hill bow hand position question...

I have a couple hill bows, but one hill bow seems to like my bow hand position down on the grip more than the others, is that a tiller issue? The grip is longer than i have had too. I usually like my hand right under the shelf. I actually marked it so I don't forget to do it different.

Any thoughts?

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8557 on: April 17, 2012, 12:05:00 AM »
Probably tiller or timing as long as you are shooting them both the same.

Offline Fat Daddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8558 on: April 17, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »
I have been reading this thread for quite a while now and decided that it was time for me to make a statement:

Hello everyone, my name is William and I am a Hill-style bow addict!

There I've said it.  They say that the first step is admitting it.

I moved to Alabama almost a year ago and had the great fortune to spend an evening with a member of Trad Gang - Stabow.  His collection of Hill bows is second to none and convinced me to give one of my old bows a try again.  You see I grew up shooting a Hill-style lemonwood bow that my father had always used but had I strayed away from it.  I dabbled in compound bows for a few years but found that something was missing.  Next it was recurves and then for about the past fifteen years or so it was locater-grip, R/D style longbows.  However, I did still have an old Jerry Hill Wildcat Deluxe that I shot every once in a while, but I always considered it a part-time bow.

After admiring Stabow's collection of Hills and finding myself in Howard Hill's home state, Alabama, I figure that I owed it to myself to shoot my old Jerry Hill bow a bit more.  After a few days of shooting it, I was again hooked on this style of bow.  Then began my addiction.  I have since acquired four Howard Hill bows and love them all.  I even made a trip to Howard Hill's gravesite and took some photos there with one of my Hills.  Before leaving I shot an arrow into the big cedar tree next to his grave.  My arrow has proudly taken its place alongside a number of other Hill addicts' arrows!

As I stated earlier, I am a Hill-style bow addict - but is that really a bad thing?

Seriously though, I have thoroughly enjoyed everything on this thread and it has definitely kept my interest.  So with that, I would like to thank you all for your posts.

All my best to all.

Fat Daddy

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8559 on: April 17, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
Fat Daddy welcome.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©