3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139855 times)

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #8560 on: April 17, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »
Fat Daddy Welcome

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8561 on: April 17, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
William ; No it is not a Bad thing. It is Enjoyable, Yes?
...Mark

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8562 on: April 17, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
I had one of those 'can't miss days' shooting my Half Breed today - easily my best session with any bow, ever. Watching that arrow track out from under your eye and smack into the target right were you're looking again and again is so rewarding for such a simple thing (if only I had more days like this)! Lol

Thanks again to the Hill Thread for getting me hooked.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8563 on: April 18, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
I've avoided this thread cause I didn't own a Hill bow. Yesterday I became the proud owner of a Howard Hill Cheetah. 66" 54@28 & ebony riser. Got it from Mudd. It was made for RC so it should have a bunch of Mojo in it. Mudd traded it off & got it back three different times. I told him this would be the last time he got rid of it. It's going to be lots of fun. He even got me using a back quiver. He's pretty persuasive.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8564 on: April 18, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »
Butch,Your right this post has to be the most interesting and informative thread ever written.I bit the bullet last week,contacted Craig and ordered a Westley Special from stock,68",60#@28",4 lambs of bamboo with an inner lam of Cocobolo,Coco handle with clear glass.Its suppose to be here today or tommorrow.This Hill bug hits hard!LOL
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8565 on: April 18, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
So your the one that beat me to it! I emailed Craig to buy that bow with the Cocobolo center lam,said he had just sold it.Mind posting a pic of it when it arrives? Good luck with it.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8566 on: April 18, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
Hey Nick,when I talked to Craig he said he had a few inquiries.I mulled that bow in my head for quite some time,really missed my Hill I sold,had to get another.Just like so many have said,just something about them.Its how they make you feel when you shoot 'em.I'll send you some pics.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8567 on: April 19, 2012, 12:26:00 AM »
Hello gang, just getting ready to order a 68" Shelton from Northern Mist. Since I'm pretty new to hill style bows what grips do you recommend between dished & straight? Best configuration of depth & length?
 I do have a recently acquired Hill tembo with a slight dish but I picked this up used and haven't been able to handle any others for comparison. Thanks for any tips, Paul

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8568 on: April 19, 2012, 06:20:00 AM »
Grip is very personal. If you like the tembo grip, stick with something similar. Decide what you do and don't like on what you have and work from there.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8569 on: April 19, 2012, 06:21:00 AM »
Thanks Steve, I'd like to see the pics.That bow really sounded like a looker with that cocobolo center lam running up it.I've got what i want to order figured out now,so I'll be calling Craig pretty quick.He told me that 66" would work better with my draw length anyway Good luck with the bow.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8570 on: April 19, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
Thanks Nick,Craig sent me a couple of pics and somehow I erased them,It did look real nice,the pics sold me LOL.I'm hoping shes here today ,but with Canada customs who knows.

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8571 on: April 19, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
I think I'm going to try to kill a pig monday wish me luck! It will be my second time taking my Sunset Hill to the woods. I need to get some blood on it.

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8572 on: April 19, 2012, 02:14:00 PM »
Good hunting, Mike!  We will be looking for photos.
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8573 on: April 19, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
Grip is definitely personal, but if you start with a straight grip, you can always change to a dish or locator.  It's pretty tough to add material after it's gone.  Plus, there are a lot of us that are looking for straight grip Hill style bows if you decide it's not for you!    :)

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8574 on: April 19, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
Thanks for the grip tips. I've built straight grips on my selfbows and have a slight dish on my current tembo. I think both would be fine but something about the very slightly dished grip feels like it has just enough shape to be more nimble, or rest in the hand easier while being more stable when maneuvering. Not sure how to describe it. At least I have some time to decide. Its about an 8 month wait unless someone here has a nice 68'' Shelton sitting around from 52-58#@28'' ???
Just placed my order with Northern Mist, first new bow.... the wait begins...  :campfire:

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8575 on: April 19, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
I like a wedge grip where the thumb overlaps the index about a half inch and a strait grip with a slight dish 1/4 inch or so but grips are so personal the thing to remember I think is does your hand settle in to the same spot easily. The bottom three fingers. Are what's holding the bow.Imho.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8576 on: April 19, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
I've been wanting to try a dished grip for a while. So I finally got out the rasp and sand paper and went at it. This bow had a lot of handle to work with(1 on the left)

This is what I ended up with. Looks like a lot, but its only an 1/8th of an inch deep. Glad I did it, my next bow will be just like it. It has a few miles on it so I'm gonna have Steve re-spray the whole thing.

Eric

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8577 on: April 19, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
Looks like you did a great job, Eric    :thumbsup:  
There is nothing more solid like a grip made for your hand.  Nice lookin' piece of Birdseye on it, too.
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8578 on: April 19, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
Nice job on the grip.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8579 on: April 19, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
Well just a short note , I was out shooting my Robin Hood, in the yard  from 33 yards,  and my 7 year old daughter opens the window from inside the house and hollars, " Hi Daddy, nice group !" as she looks at the target and then at me with her big smile.....

Best day ever!

Patrick
Craig Ekins;
70" -60LB "Robin Hood",string follow  #47 of 50. LE
68" -70Lb Redman, string follow all YEW. "Yewlogy"
68" -75Lb@28. 3 lam Boo. String Follow- "LegendStick"

Ron Maulding : 68" Big Horn , Boo and Osage. 78#@27.

David Miller: Old Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©