3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139699 times)

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #8860 on: May 20, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
Willy,great looking bow!Advetures ahead ,memories to be made and a companion thru thick and thin!
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline WillyOfTheHood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8861 on: May 20, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
MT Longbow--
It's pretty close! The buffalo horn overlays and the wolf instead of the robin hood cap are the main differences. It has the same number of yew lams and the one bamboo lam and the texas ebony riser and no lam up the sweep, as well as the string-folow limbs. King Raven is the name of a trilogy of books that re-tells the Robin Hood story in Wales in an earlier time than the Sherwood Forest Robin Hood.
Thanks to everyone for the compliments!! I really like the looks of the bow but it's nice to know there's a place to show it off to people who are the same kind of "crazy" as me (I mean that in a good way)! Most of what I decided that I wanted in it came from looking at all of the great bows I saw here and from the posts in this thread (or at least as much of it as I've read, so far-LOL!!)

Offline marlon

• Trad Bowhunter
marlon torres

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8863 on: May 21, 2012, 07:56:00 AM »
Marlon, wow!  Gorgeous...give us more details please.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8864 on: May 21, 2012, 08:47:00 AM »
A beauty for sure Marlon but even if it's weight were cut in half it would still have me over bowed.

I'd love to see the whole bow..maybe even at full draw.

Thanks in advance!!

God's grace, Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8865 on: May 21, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
I got a name for that one Marlon,   "Super-Beast"
Vera Wood? Maybe dymondwood to "handle" it.
 Will a 1000g arrow at an Elk Neck, or a Bear's dome piece, get it done?
   Makes a good foot bow for me.

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8866 on: May 21, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
Patrick,
That "LegendStick" is a great looking bow.

I'll be dropping off my Tembo to Craig around the 10th of July after the NALS for a 3-4 lb. weight reduction.
Larry
  :archer:
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline WillyOfTheHood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8867 on: May 21, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
Marlon--
That is a beautiful riser!!! Show us more!!
150#- Man, that's impressive!!

3Under- Do you shoot with the KTBA over at Harrodsburg? I shoot over there pretty often.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8868 on: May 21, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »
150#...well, if I ever see that bow on classifieds I would have to have the bow in for a weight reduction, that would bring it in to a reasonable 145#...I can't imagine what spine chart would help with that!

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8869 on: May 21, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »
I've been experimenting a little with my form, with some success and some frustrations..I've had a little target panic creep in this past year.

A couple of surprises, one is my draw length with no draw check is 26", and 26 1/2 with a draw check like a clicker.  I thought it was longer but I use a measuring arrow with a clothespin, and that's what I come up with. I'm 5'10" and I guess that's about right when considering Howard's was shorter than expected and he was a big dude. I can draw farther, but the string is contacting my body and I consider that over drawing.
I remember another tradganger posting something similar, but to get a 28" plus draw with a Hill bow, I would guess you would need long arms or be quite tall..

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8870 on: May 21, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
I'm off the computer a couple of day's, get bach and bunch of beautiful Hill's or Hill style bows. I love this thread.

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8871 on: May 21, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
Just about every one of them!!  :archer:
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8872 on: May 21, 2012, 02:24:00 PM »
The pigs are shaking in fear right now. Why? Because I'm hittin the woods with my Sunset Hill this afternoon. Stand by for pics!

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8873 on: May 21, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »
Good luck!

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8874 on: May 21, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Joe Heavy Longbow Shooter:
Yes, that is my old bow, a real nice shooter.  I'm glad she found a good home!  Nice looking set of Hill style bows!
Yep,she slings an arrow nice! I don't think she'll be leaving here.  :)

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8875 on: May 21, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Macatawa:

Nick,  Nice trio!  You are one of the fortunate ones to own a Pete George Timberline.  Beans did you proud.
I was VERY happy to get the Timberline bow,shoots as good as it looks too.

My daughter's name is Julia.We called her Julie Beans as a baby. It stuck and now everyone calls her Beans.She's a "Hill" style bow shooter too!Here's a pic with her 48" 18#@20" Northwind longbow.I bought it for her older sister,but big sis grew out of it years ago.Both my girls like to shoot.  :D    :D    :D  

Offline Trad Longbow Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8876 on: May 21, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »
Can anyone tell me if the string follow Hills draw smoother than the regular Hills?  I own several Hills, ranging from 64# to 75# and was wondering if I order a string follow would a 70# string follow be easier to pull than the normal 70# Hill?  Does any of this make sense????  I appreciate anyone's thoughts or experiences.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8877 on: May 21, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Joe Heavy Longbow Shooter:
Can anyone tell me if the string follow Hills draw smoother than the regular Hills?  I own several Hills, ranging from 64# to 75# and was wondering if I order a string follow would a 70# string follow be easier to pull than the normal 70# Hill?  Does any of this make sense????  I appreciate anyone's thoughts or experiences.
My new Blackwood is string follow and seems to start out the draw very "soft" and goes back to anchor very smooth.At 52# at my draw it's lighter than any other bow I have,that may have something to do with it? Whatever the cause,I like the feel enough,that my next bow will be string follow also,because I don't see any negatives to it.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8878 on: May 21, 2012, 04:59:00 PM »
Sure does make sense.  I have owned a couple of Hill string follow bows and didn't really feel much if any difference because the string follow is very small--the same as the amount of back set in the regular Hill--looks to me like they come off thje same form--just "backwards" if that makes any sense.  Now on my Northern Mist string follow Sheltons I feel a difference .  I believe that is because Steve puts a bit more string follow in his bow design. Theattached picture shows a Hill next to the NM and you can see the difference--a difference I am able to feel on the draw. The Hill is on the right...

The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8879 on: May 21, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
That's a really nice piece of wood on that Shelton's riser Dave.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©