3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139643 times)

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #8940 on: May 24, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
I was having trouble with Photobucket too, and had to download a new version of Adobe Flash. That solved the problems.

In answer to the questions about the moose, I was using a 75-pound Wesley Special, 160-grain Ribteks, and Douglas Fir Shafts, total arrow weight was 625 grains.

Unfortunately, there was no road anywhere nearby. Even with three excellent pack llamas, it was a three-hour pack back to the truck. It was also the heaviest load I have ever asked my llamas to make. Each llama had 185 pounds of pure meat in the panniers, and I had about 40 pounds on my back. The llamas were tired, but I was smiling the whole way.

How long does it take to eat a moose? Quite a while, especially when  you are well provisioned with mule deer, bear, and elk meat. The only difficult part is deciding what's for dinner each night!

I gotta run guys. I am leaving in about three minutes on a bear hunt. The weather is looking a bit rough outside, but I gotta give it a try anyway. Derned bears are making me work for it this year!

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8941 on: May 24, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
I will try to post pics next week...leaving now for a long weekend and some bear hunting...we shall see   :)

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8942 on: May 25, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »
Rik and Nate -

Good luck and be careful on your respective hunts!

Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8943 on: May 25, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
Rik and Nate looking forwrd to some stories and pics! Good luck!

Offline Trad Longbow Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8944 on: May 26, 2012, 07:18:00 AM »
Rik and Nate, good luck with the bears.  

Rik, how much penetration to you get on the moose with that setup?

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8945 on: May 26, 2012, 07:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by Joe Heavy Longbow Shooter:
Rik and Nate, good luck with the bears.  

Rik, how much penetration to you get on the moose with that setup?
I,m a thinkin he gets just enough to get two lined up.   :bigsmyl:
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8946 on: May 26, 2012, 07:55:00 AM »
Dragonheart and I are walkin out of the hotel headed to sherwood forest to shoot day 1 of the state tournie.  Wish us luck.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8947 on: May 26, 2012, 12:51:00 PM »
Congrats on the moose tag Rik!

Good luck with the bear!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8948 on: May 26, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »
I remember being snowed in on a few spring bear hunts....   Almost sounds good compared to our 90' temps today..

Good luck on the bears, fellas !

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8949 on: May 26, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »
Love your pics and stories Rik. Cant wait for the next one. Cant wait to hear yours Nate. Good huntin to you all. Yall do what I dream about doing.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8950 on: May 27, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
Good luck on the tournie
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8951 on: May 28, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by ChrisM:
Dragonheart and I are walkin out of the hotel headed to sherwood forest to shoot day 1 of the state tournie.  Wish us luck.
Well talk about the wheels falling off.  I couldn't even come to full draw most of the weekend.  At one point I wanted to wrap that dang bow around a tree.  After a long drive home and some soul searching I decided I will stick with a Hill bow and I will master it.  So for the next two weeks I will only shoot from 2 feet away from a hay bale and get my draw anchor and release right.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8952 on: May 28, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »
You should talk to the guy on the shooting forum... clickerman. He's awesome with shot sequence and TP. He will actually have you give him a call. WELL worth the 1/2 an hour. The guy is good!
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8953 on: May 28, 2012, 08:12:00 AM »
Chris -
It was nice to finally meet you and put a smiling face to the name. Jeff is a great guy and a really good shooter. You have a mentor in him.

Sorry about your wheels. However, at the TSLC there is so much going on. Whether you realize it or not, folks place a tremendous amount of internal pressure on themselves at that tournament. This causes any bad habits or flaws in form to magnify themselves. One little hiccup and everything can go downhill. When you have to shoot 50 targets each day, over a two day shoot you can really become disheartened.    :thumbsup:

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8954 on: May 28, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »
Thanks Danny.  BTW i need to get a glove like yours it was a nice one.  Which model was it.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8955 on: May 28, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
Chris,
It is the Model STGC glove from Bateman.

http://www.ewbateman.com/

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8956 on: May 28, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
I got "behind the power curve" on this wonderful, wonderful thread about page 150 last fall, or so. Several weeks ago, I decided to catch up and went back to the very first post and began anew. Yesterday, I finally caught up--and feel like I have an Associate Degree in Hillbows!! Thank you all, Gentlemen!

In addition to studying the Shultz Video like it was a new religion, I have been trying to come to terms with a straight grip on a pair of Wesley Specials, (66", 53#@27", backset and 66", 43#@27, string follow). The issue has always been grip repeatability, shot to shot.

I have a fairly small hand and I think Craig did an excellent job of sizing my Wesleys. One had a mild, rounded wedge and one had a "race track", probably very similar to the small TD grip. Both of them kicked my butt....

I finally carved a handle out of a piece of scrap wood that I felt was comfortable and repeatable--and did not tourque no matter how hard I tried "to squeeze the sap out of it". I ended up with a narrow, "old school", deep wedge, 1" thick and 2 and 3/16" deep. When I got to the post where the actual size of the grips Mr. Hill and Mr. Shultz employed were identified, I felt delighted and affirmed!

I had already taken a wood rasp to the string follow Wesley, (NO PHOTOS--Craig might never sell me another bow!!!), and built up the back of the grip with cow hide and rubber cement. I finished her off with linen cord.

Although my thumb does not reach my index finger, I can "grab a'hold of it" like I was "picking up a suitcase" and in subsequent practice, I am becoming "born again consistent"!!

Sorry for the long post, but without this thread I would have gone back to my Black Widow TF III in despair. I thank you all.

I have recently begun having dreams about an all-yew Redman and an all osage, (risers included), crocodile, made to equal specifications. What a comparison that might be!

Be well, all.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8957 on: May 28, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
Ah yes, dreams of the next Hill! It never ends!  :jumper:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8958 on: May 28, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
If it were not for dreams, we'd have nothing to do in our spare time. Just like in the song by the Everly Bros. back in the 50's:

"When I want you, all I have to do, is dream, dream, dream, dream."

:laughing:  

Danny

« Reply #8959 on: May 28, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChrisM:
Good luck boys!!  Tear 'em up!   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©