3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139526 times)

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #9020 on: June 01, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
David, I have been tweaking my bows for a couple of years now and I do think I'm ready to start selling them. I have been checking out starting a small bow business since this spring.

All of my kids are grown up now and I lost my tax deductions so I need a new way to keep Uncle Sam off my back.  :goldtooth:  

I plan on making the Hill styles in fiberglass too.

For you guys that asked for more pics and info I will send you them in a PM so as not to clutter up this fine thread with a bunch of pics.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9021 on: June 01, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
Ordered two gloves from Hill Archery today. One with inserts, one without. It seems like I used a Damascus glove forever, but since they changed to lighter leather in the finger tips, they are wearing through faster, a LOT faster.

The thinner leather also seems to have caused an exponential growth in callouses on my fingers to the point that it is starting to mess with my release. I'm going to sand 'em down, a little, and see how I do with a thicker glove.

If neither Hill glove suits me, I will try the Bateman.

Offline Ontario Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9022 on: June 01, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
Picked up a Longbowman's Choice. 64" 47 @ 26. What a great shooter.

The Heritage 150 625g shoot from the Wesley 53@26. 3555 525g shot from the LBC at 23 yards. Hills are so consistant.

Black Coffee, Red Wine, Blue Waters, Green fields, Yellow sunsets,Whitetailed Deer,, All the Primary colors of Life ,,,.
I don't choose the deer, the deer chooses me.

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9023 on: June 01, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by sunset hill:
Real quick before I head back out to work....

there is a balance to be achieved in a Hill bow for optimal performance....a short riser allows for longer working limbs...allowing for a shorter bow overall, which gives more limb bend at full draw, which gives more speed, which makes a string follow bow remain fast.  It also lightens the total bow physical weight, making it less shocky....

basically, and there are lots of variables which I won't go in to, but based on the old time Hillstyle bowyers, like Schulz.....limb bend at full draw reveals alot about the bow performance.

I.E.....optimal bow for a 27" real draw, medium sized hands.....  66" long, 12" riser, narrow limbs, 3 wood lams, all one limb wood material, no tip overlays, colored glass, string follow.

Why? for a 27" real draw..... 66" minus 12" static handle results in 54" of limb length bending in a nice, tight curve.  a 68" bow with 16" handle results in 52" of limb length bending in a shallower curve, which means less limb recoil speed trying to move more mass weight which equals less efficiency.  A 68" bow with a 12" riser means more limb length for power, but still a shallow full draw curve so the limbs are trying to move more mass with less speed of recoil.

like I said,  lots of variables and ways to tweak the bow to fit the shooter....to me, that's what Custom means.   not fancy veneers.  Although  I will be the first to admit...a Redman or the new One Shot by Craig are fetchin bows to my eye.
And after that talk I had with Nate, I went from 70 inch longbows to 68 inch bows and went to a shorter riser.  So I draw a true 28-1/4 inch so these new bows that I had Craig build feel great.
Craig Ekins;
70" -60LB "Robin Hood",string follow  #47 of 50. LE
68" -70Lb Redman, string follow all YEW. "Yewlogy"
68" -75Lb@28. 3 lam Boo. String Follow- "LegendStick"

Ron Maulding : 68" Big Horn , Boo and Osage. 78#@27.

David Miller: Old Tom

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9024 on: June 01, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
Nice Dave. Be sure tost up some pics, I love how Osage ages with a bit of time.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9025 on: June 02, 2012, 07:09:00 AM »
Nice looking bows Frank. I will hopefully be completing the story soon.
Bic

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9026 on: June 02, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by K.S.TRAPPER:
For you guys that asked for more pics and info I will send you them in a PM so as not to clutter up this fine thread with a bunch of pics.

Tracy
Clutter a 602 page exchange of Hill style talk, photos, stories?...

Post away!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9027 on: June 02, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »
sunset hill: Sir, based on the information you graciously shared with MT Longbow regarding an "optimal" Hill-style bow, here is what I think you just taught me....

I have a real draw length of 26" and small hands. On a 66", narrow limbs, string-follow, with no tip overlays, 3, same specie, wood lams, colored glass, with a 14" riser--I should be getting into the ball park? Or, would a 12" riser still be closer to optimal?

(Can you tell I have the "fever" to order another longbow? Can I assume that you are sill not enthused about taking new orders?) My thanks.

Respectfully,
Bob W.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9028 on: June 02, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »
I received my "new to me" Hill Halfbreed from Kevin last Thursday. True, it had a few honest dings and the leather was packed down and dingy from many hours of sweat lined hands gripping it. But like Kevin said, "She's a sweet solid shooter." With a name like Tom-Tom, I'm not certain where the "she" came from.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=051634

After a short session with the 0000 steel wool pad and a polishing with Meguiar's Gold Class clear coat polish, "she" took on a very subtle low gloss sheen. A finish some what reminiscent of the varnish on the older Hills. I then brushed the grip with my brass bristle brush and re-lofted the suede leather handle.

Not only is "she" a sweet solid shooter, but now Tom-Tom looks like a new bow from Craig. I'll post a few pics when I get the batteries charged up on my camera.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9029 on: June 02, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »
I sold my bow so I'm finally on the lookout for a HH bow.  After reading 600+ pages I want 50-55# @ 26"  draw w/ string follow.  Thinking locator or dished grip. I learned a lot reading this thread, thanks everyone for answering my questions
Black Widow PSA II #52 @ 26"

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9030 on: June 02, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
Congrats on selling te Hoyt. It's a great recurve, and I knew it would not last long
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9031 on: June 02, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
Thanks! Kinda sad to let it go but used the money for a duck mount and rest going to the every growing HH bug...bet the 603 pages hasn't help the epidemic
Black Widow PSA II #52 @ 26"

Offline Ontario Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9032 on: June 02, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
Sweet bow Danny,, Congrats on getting her home,, Frank
Black Coffee, Red Wine, Blue Waters, Green fields, Yellow sunsets,Whitetailed Deer,, All the Primary colors of Life ,,,.
I don't choose the deer, the deer chooses me.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9033 on: June 02, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
Danny i had that bow for a while. What a sweet shooter! I only sold her because i changed to lefty
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9034 on: June 02, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jayb:
I sold my bow so I'm finally on the lookout for a HH bow.  After reading 600+ pages I want 50-55# @ 26"  draw w/ string follow.  Thinking locator or dished grip. I learned a lot reading this thread, thanks everyone for answering my questions
If you can, shoot a straight grip before you go for a dished or locator...see what you think, if you buy a straight, you can always dish it out later , but never the other way round.
Craig Ekins;
70" -60LB "Robin Hood",string follow  #47 of 50. LE
68" -70Lb Redman, string follow all YEW. "Yewlogy"
68" -75Lb@28. 3 lam Boo. String Follow- "LegendStick"

Ron Maulding : 68" Big Horn , Boo and Osage. 78#@27.

David Miller: Old Tom

« Reply #9035 on: June 02, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by MT Longbow:
 [/qb]
If you can, shoot a straight grip before you go for a dished or locator...see what you think, if you buy a straight, you can always dish it out later , but never the other way round. [/QB][/QUOTE]

This is very good advice!     :thumbsup:

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9036 on: June 02, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
I agree, I prefer the straight but didn't know that untill after already owning a locator grip first then realized I don't shoot it near as well.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9037 on: June 02, 2012, 11:14:00 PM »
Finally got a few minutes to take some pics of the Halfbreed.

The leather really cleaned up good. You have to inspect very closely to see any bumps or dings and the low gloss sheen is classy.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9038 on: June 03, 2012, 01:11:00 AM »
Very nice!

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9039 on: June 03, 2012, 06:45:00 AM »
looks good!
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©