3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139457 times)

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #9060 on: June 05, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Macatawa:
Rik,

Thanks for the pic!  A refreshing window to the real world we dream about.
X2     :campfire:
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9061 on: June 05, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
I have an older article/interview on Zebra Longbows if you are interested email me:

[email protected]
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9062 on: June 05, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rik:

And now. . . for those of you who enjoy seeing a bit of wild country, here's a photo from this weekend's scouting trip. I should stop being surprised that sometimes coming down from the high country, the views are even better than when climbing up.

AWESOME scenery Rik!

Best o' luck with the bear!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9063 on: June 05, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
Thanks for the pic Rik. It looks like it could make a cover for a magazine.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9064 on: June 05, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
I finally made it! I read all 605 pages in just over 2 weeks.  I have owed a Wesley Special for about 12 years.  I have learned so much since reading this thread.  Thanks to all of you for sharing.  I ordered a second HHA bow a couple of weeks ago and can't wait to get it.  The new one will be 68" 50# at 28".  The riser and limbs will be Bocate with 2 core lambs of carmalized bamboo.  Finished of with a black elk grip laced.  More posts to follow.

« Reply #9065 on: June 06, 2012, 03:18:00 AM »
605 pages and not one official Howard Hill song. Something like "Howard Hill walk with me down the trail again" e.g. the Nuge just won't cut it.  I tried listening to one of my numerous Brule cds for hunting, but my wife does not like what I do with the volume controls that early in the morning and prefers my classical guitar music instead. Now if Shane Summers of Brule was shooting a Hill style longbow maybe something like Vision Quest or Ghost Dance, my personal favorite, would become my personal longbow hunting favorite.  What is your favorite 'go hunting with your Hill style bow' down the road music?

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9066 on: June 06, 2012, 08:03:00 AM »
Wagner's (Pronounced Vagner) The Ride of the Valkyries.

Instrumental version only though, the opera signing hurts my ears and tends to scare the elk off.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9067 on: June 06, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »
Rik you almost caused damage to my keyboard as I came oh so close to spewing coffee all over it....lol

Thank you!

I need as much laughter as I can get these days.

God's grace and peace, Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline tg2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9068 on: June 06, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rik:
Wagner's (Pronounced Vagner) The Ride of the Valkyries.

Instrumental version only though, the opera signing hurts my ears and tends to scare the elk off.
"Apocalypse Now" for Elk
German by birth, Bavarian by the grace of god

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9069 on: June 06, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
I talked with Steve Turay this morning at Northern Mist. A Shelton will be born in October. Expecting is really nice. More bows to come.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

« Reply #9070 on: June 06, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
So if Wagner,followed the philosophy of an early version of what became the Nazi movement,is pronounced Vagner is Valkyries pronounced Walkyries>  Just pulling your leg a bit, I don't care for the fat lady with horns either.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9071 on: June 06, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
Well,  I think I got my photobucket stuff worked out, so here goes....

Between long hours at the real job I managed to start a couple of bear baits and get equipment ready....yep, equipment is ready  :)

so after checking baits in the high country which are 3 hours away (one way) I'm getting excited and plan to hunt a long Memorial weekend but wake up on Friday to see this stuff....

hunting is out for several days so I just shoot my bow and relax, and read Sagittarius all the way through...

by Monday, just in time to go home the sun comes out and I am reminded why I like to bear hunt in the high country in springtime...

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9072 on: June 06, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
fast forward to last weekend...one of the baits is getting hit real good, the trail cam shows a few color phase bears coming in  :) ... so,  I can get away for one day to hunt with my protege Zack who helped me make his bow, and made his arrows and quiver, etc. by himself and is stoked to see and try to make his first bowkilled game a bear....

here's my backcountry mule method of transporting gear and bait...all loaded and ready to head out...

so anyway, we get to hunt Saturday evening and look who shows up, walking 8 yards from Zack, posing 8 yards from me, and generally entertaining us for 45 minutes.....we are hunting on the ground, blindless, sitting on stools around fallen trees, etc...me in my plaid shirt and bluejeans and Zack in some kind of camo and no hat or facepaint....we just sat real still when it looked our way and kept the wind in our faces...

Zack thought seriously about putting an arrow through him, but he's kinda small and decided to wait for something bigger next time.  I hope that this is a great portend of things to come.  We walked out to the truck under a hunter's moon and are pretty excited about next weekend.....

we shall see....
to be continued.....

Offline Trad Longbow Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9073 on: June 06, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
Nat, nice photos and I like your transportation (mule)!  Good luck and keep us posted.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9074 on: June 06, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
Enjoyed the photos Nate. Must be nice to live 3 hours from the high country and not 3 days.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9075 on: June 06, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
Ok, everyone, its a official. Im in the club now. The Belcher Union Jack has arrived, (thank you Danny) This is a string follow Hill Style bow that is just a dream to shoot.  Since starting traditional archery in January, its been a game of finding my preference, from grip to recuve vs longbow vs hybrid. Glove vs Tab. Fedora vs chuck adams beanie, ok the last one was a joke. LOL.
I had a locator grip Longbow that, although I could shoot ok, I was never 100% comfortable with, I kept wanting to hold it recurve style because of the locator. Then I stumbled upon a NM Huron with a straight grip, and a light bulb went off. If im shooting a low mass longbow I NEED a straight grip, im just not good enough to shoot any other.  So the hunt began, and I have been interested in the Union Jack for quite a while, and the perfect trade opportunity arose to satisfy my curiosity on the Hill Style bows and alas here I am.
  So I did not get to play with it too much but I shot about 25-35 arrows after church tonight with it for the first time.  And let me tell you. WOW!!! Its 57lbs@28 66"long. I draw 27" and this bow feels like its only drawing about 45lbs, just so smooth. And the grip, while bigger than the NM straight grip, is very very comfortable and easy to duplicate shot after shot.  First 3 shots at 15 yards all in a palm sized group. Next 3 all touching, next 3, 2 touching one about 2 inches high and 3 inches left, but oh well.  So gentle in the hand, good cast, light and easily manuverable. I could not be happier.
Now I would be lying if I said I will not visit the Classified everyday, (just to look of course), but I can honestly say that from here on out I have found that I am a straight grip shooter.  And between the 66' union jack and the 62" Huron, I do not NEED any more bows.  I have a wonderful blind and brush bow. And a wonderful stalking, strip mine hunting bow.  I must be the luckiest Archer alive!!!  
  Thank you all for your wealth of knowledge on this thread.
So in closing, I must say if anyone is looking for a wonderful Hill Style bow, I can personally recomend trying the Union Jack. I dont think you will be disapointed.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9076 on: June 06, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »
Brian - Told ya' so!    :thumbsup:
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9077 on: June 06, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
Great pics Nate!
Makes me wonder why I'm still living in the east.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9078 on: June 07, 2012, 01:09:00 AM »
nice photos nate

Offline Dodger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9079 on: June 07, 2012, 01:48:00 AM »
What would be an optimum riser length for a 27" draw for 66" and 68" long Hill style bow, respectively?
Thanks.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©