3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139401 times)

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #9140 on: June 09, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
Look what I started....
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

« Reply #9141 on: June 09, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
Ha!
Charlie, nice "fedora"

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9142 on: June 09, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »
Killdeer: I wish you every success with your new Owl and look forward to seeing it at the Hog Hunt in Georgia.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9143 on: June 09, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
Uh oh!
I'm scared to bring it near an owl magnet!
Killdeer   :scared:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9144 on: June 09, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
Lady, you just cracked me up! Fear not, it isn't quite that kind of "Owl".....!

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9145 on: June 09, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
Due to a busy work and family schedule over the winter I haven't been able to do any long range shooting over the winter. From Nov. til June I was resstricted to 13 yards in my basement learning the fine points of shooting my new Hill bows.

Well, today is my families first day at our lake front cottage. Managed to wet a fly this morning but when I had the place to myself this afternoon I did some long range shooting with my 54@26 Cheetah. What a blast! I have honestly never shot a bow so accurately - couldn't miss out to 40 yards. I was also very happy to see that both stes of arrows I had made up for this bow were a perfect tune so I now have some flat shooting light weights for deer and some hard hitting heavies ready to go for moose.

After shooting traditional bows for 4 years I can tell that cheetah fits better than any bow I've ever shot. I'm even considering a few minor changes to the grip in my Half Breed (which tends to throw my arrows high sometimes) to see if I can replicate the consistency of the Cheetah.

Can't wait to shoot some more stumps tomorrow and dream about the up coming season!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9146 on: June 09, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
I guess I could call HHA on Monday and get an answer to my question but I figure I would ask here.  I know about nothing about strings.  My Wesley Special came with a string and the only two other strings I have I ordered from HHA.  My new HHA bow on order I asked that it be shipped with a FF string.  I assume my previous strings were not FF.  over the 610 pages I have read in this thread I have read quite a bit about strings.   I have read all about the number of stands, padded loops, etc.  since I know almost nothing about strings what does HHA send with their bows if you order their standard Flemish or optional FF string?  I can see where a string could make some difference in a bow but not sure what I have to compare to what some of you are talking about.

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9147 on: June 09, 2012, 11:31:00 PM »
Well. . . if you're old school enough to order a Hill bow, and shoot wood arrows, it seems you are already well down the path to Dacron strings. Anything else would just make you wonder. . .

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9148 on: June 09, 2012, 11:38:00 PM »
. . . which brings up a really interesting question.

Nate, what were the strings made of that Howard Hill Shot?

Whatever they were, they were certainly accurate.

Hmmmm, I says to myself, I wonder what I could do with the same type of string?

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9149 on: June 10, 2012, 12:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rik:
. . . which brings up a really interesting question.

Nate, what were the strings made of that Howard Hill Shot?

Whatever they were, they were certainly accurate.

Hmmmm, I says to myself, I wonder what I could do with the same type of string?
Linen.

I still have a bunch from my grandpa, NY state 1946 archery Champion!
Craig Ekins;
70" -60LB "Robin Hood",string follow  #47 of 50. LE
68" -70Lb Redman, string follow all YEW. "Yewlogy"
68" -75Lb@28. 3 lam Boo. String Follow- "LegendStick"

Ron Maulding : 68" Big Horn , Boo and Osage. 78#@27.

David Miller: Old Tom

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9150 on: June 10, 2012, 04:25:00 AM »
I posted this in pow wow but my new Whippenstick Classic string follow deserves a mention in this fine thread ...

The weather was cold upon arrival i Queenstown , but the snow capped Pinnacles mountain snow fields above the airfield certainly let us know that an adventure had begun .

Ariving at the property the first night we settled in quickly , strong coffee to ward off the cold and the sharpening of Broadheads began ...

Early the first morning we heard turkeys gobbling just near the house , so bows were grabbed and off we headed into the river bottoms ... now I know stuff all about turkeys and turkey hunting but I snuck in to 10 yards ... and they were were all strutting around puffed up , twice their normal size ...they had no idea i was there ... so I'd like to induldge you all by saying that at 10 yards i decided to let them grow even bigger by sending an arrow directly above the one i had picked outs back .... new Whippenstick 0 - turkeys - 1

Later in the morning after a a good hunters breakfast I made my way hill side to begin the glassing for deer , goats and boar ... Doc, our host has a high fenced area of 1500 acres that contain some very very large racked, and very very wary Red and Fallow deer ..and numerous turkeys . The fenced area was a green light area for me for the turkeys [ fences ain't my thing but man are they spooky deer for bow range stuff ] but my real goal was the free range goats and deer of the mountainous gorge country that backs onto the farm ...

The afternoon i headed up into to the gorge to try and locate a good billy , something that had eluded me on my last hunt there ... the country is steep and with minimal cover ... the vegetation is either barbed, spiked, razor bladed and genuinely hates you ... it was also just on zero degrees with beautiful clear skies and a decent prevailing wind ...... the first afternoon showed many many mobs of turkeys up in the high roosts on the mountain and george tops ... and added incentive if the goats and fallow proved to tricky .......

I stump shot my way back down the mountainside , taking in a view that we just don't really see here in Oz ... I gotta tells ya ..... that Whippenstick Classic of Ken's is juat a well mannered fine fine shooter . I just hoped this trip to do it justice but she whacked stumps , took the heads off thistles better than any bow I have shot in a long long while ...

Another thing to note about the Manitoto valley range is that hunting the mountains provides true spot and stalk, something we don't really get where i live ... we tend to hunt water holes or stalk/ still hunt .. this was a place where i can spot my game glassing from kilometeres away, work my plan of atatck and base a day around it ... it also lets me single out a particular animal , something I prefer to do ... don't know why ... just makes it more challenging I guess ...
[ unless they are turkeys ... open season on those little buggers .... if i was honest I'd tell you about numerous great stalks into 15 metres ... only to miss and then miss again ....... but that would kinda ruin the story eh ... so I'll skip that bit ...

anyhoo .. the next few days were spent traversing snow fields, climbing rock faces and generally getting myself into some really good positions only to be busted by the set of eyes I didn't see, a drifting breeze or just bad timing ... it was a bout as frustrating, physically and mentally challenging and good fun as a fella can have ..... but time was ticking away , my body was absolutely killing me and the thought of yet again up the mountains was nagging away at the quitter inside me ....

still the next day I went up top again , a 3 hr walk and climb ... to get above the snow line so i could again chance it coming down on the particular mob i had been hunting [ no easy feat finding them in the snow !] so I found myself above them ... with no safe way to get down the hill without tumbling to a broken spine ... so I did the only smart thing a newly married man with responsibilities could do ... i switched my pack , Arrowmaster etc round to my chest , held my bow in front of me and soggy snow bottomed self propelled tobooggeoned down the slope between piercing Matagaoru bushes ... it was a dumb thing to do , cold on my ass for sure but proved really successful in getting me into a good final stalking spot ...

the goats began to feed down hill , futher into the afternoon sun , and lower than the snow line ... I was kinda left with 1 shot at a final stalk , dirctly down into them to try and manage a shot ...

After a couple of hrs I managed to get my shot off at 25 yards ... not my best shot either but the billy bedded quickly allowing me to jocky onto position for a finishing arrow , albeit , one which was not needed for the race had been run ...

The Whippenstick had flung my arrow with authority and ended a game that began a18 months ago .........

now i had a day to try for turkey ......

the most frustrating day of my hunting career ..

lil' trouble makers that they are
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9151 on: June 10, 2012, 04:27:00 AM »

directing my mate to the turkeys down below the red berried hawthorn tree    
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9152 on: June 10, 2012, 04:29:00 AM »
Hey! Welcome back! Great photos, Mr. Maher!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9153 on: June 10, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
Brazos, have Craig send you one of each string so you can try for yourself. Some folks like Dacron some hate it, I'm in the later group.

Eric

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9154 on: June 10, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
NORTH AMERICAN LONGBOW SAFARI question:

How many of you Hill shooters are going to the Longbow Safari this year?

It will be fun to meet you and shoot some arrows together. I will be arriving Tuesday night (Wednesday is the 4th of July) so I can enjoy a nice long camp out and get in lots of stump shooting in addition to all the shooting fun at the Safari. I have a feeling there will be hunting stories galore told around the campfire in the evenings. I am looking forward to hearing every one!

One course of North American animal targets, and one course of African animal targets. Oh Man this is going to be fun! Hope to see you there!

Remember---the cutoff date for registering is this Tuesday, the 12th.

As this is the 30th Anniversary of the North American Longbow Safari, this will be a special one you will not want to miss. Bring lots of arrows!

« Reply #9155 on: June 10, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ben Kleinig:
Hey! Welcome back! Great photos, Mr. Maher!
Yes indeed!  My bones ache just thinking about that kind of romp.  Beautiful country and story well told.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9156 on: June 10, 2012, 11:56:00 AM »
All I can say is.... Thank you for sharing!

God's grace and peace, Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9157 on: June 10, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »
I'll be there at the NALS the Lord "willin"!  :archer:
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9158 on: June 10, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
That osage and cocabola combination in the owl is one I dream of. I'm sure you're going to love that Killie.

Congrats Ben, quite an adventure.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9159 on: June 10, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ben Maher:
... the vegetation is either barbed, spiked, razor bladed and genuinely hates you ...
That's a description that puts a vivid image in one's head.

Thanks for the story!     :campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©