3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139359 times)

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #9280 on: June 21, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
Ahhhhh....! Thank you, dragonheart, (and Jerry Hill). I think it may be time to screw up my courage and break out the x-acto knife....

Man, I love this thread!

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9281 on: June 21, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
Thy changed and "advanced" photobucket!  I had it down but now, cannot figure out how to resize photos.  I have photos, if someone can help me out on how they have changes the photobucket.  It took some time to hand stitch.  I used the "zipties" that are for the label type.  I cut out the label area and made my inserts.  Nate Steen gave me the suggestion on that for a type of plastic that will keep its shape.  On the inside of the stall I lined with thin pigskin for strength.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9282 on: June 21, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »
Longbows & Short Shots

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9283 on: June 21, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
Welcome "Sweet Music" to my stable of Hill style bows. 66", 47#, brown glass back, clear glass belly, bamboo lams, string follow style by Sunset Hill-Nate Steen. Sweet Music has been in many different hands lately but now it has found a permanent home. Thanks to all the previous owners for taking good care of her.

Wish I could say this is my first shot with her but it is not-a previous owner I surmize.

Am up in WI right now overseeing the remodel of our eventual retirement home and still do not have any archery gear here so will have to wait to shoot Sweet Music when I get back to Iowa sometime next week.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9284 on: June 21, 2012, 04:41:00 PM »
thanks all, it is more muscle then anything am broad chested, and I think having a more custom would help, is there a differance between Nate's and the howard hill one.  I will stick with it for a bit.  Owl- I tried using one of those deluxe and insert ones but could never get it down, same thing happen to me.  I bought a Big Shot and wow my shooting was even better then a light damascus or finger shooting.  I love it.

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9285 on: June 21, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »
toddster: Thank you for affirming that my personal "experience" with the "deluxe" was not the Judgement of an angry deity! I will think hard about a Big Shot, based on your experience.

dragonheart: You are, officially, my HERO for posting the photograph of the modified glove. That is some fine and fancy stitching, for sure. Your work is an inspiration to me!

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9286 on: June 21, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
I cut down my hill clove and did some stitching to keep it form coming apart.  I now love that glove.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9287 on: June 21, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
Here is a photo of the glove on.

I shoot the Big Shot also.  If you like to feel the string once you get the Bigshot shot in it has a great feel to it.  John Turner is #1!  He will set you up right.  The big shot feels small at first, but it "form-fits" to you.  

With bigshot you never have to worry about the stalls coming off.  The glove I made, I stitched it tight, and it has stretched to just the right fit.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9288 on: June 21, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
anyone shooting aluminum out of their Hills?
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9289 on: June 21, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
Jim,  I shoot alum quite a bit, 2018 & 2020. They shoot great, I just dont like the klinky metal.

Eric

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9290 on: June 21, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
I tried some 1916's tonight they were light so I put 3 pieces of weed eater line in them, might have been too much cause they came out 14.5 GPP on my bow they felt good and shot good, quiet.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9291 on: June 21, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
LOL..I bet it was quiet, thats plenty heavy. I run about 200g on the front, they shoot quiet just noisy in the quiver.

Offline DWilhelm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9292 on: June 21, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
Dragonheart, could you explain what you mean by "zipties that are used for the label type".  I am familiar with zipties but unsure what you mean by the label type.  Thanks

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9293 on: June 21, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
Jeff, Nice job on the glove  :thumbsup:  

I tried the Hill glove years ago and they are just too stiff for me. The Bigshot is a dandy though!

DWilhelm, I think he used the zipties for the plastic inserts to pad the fingers and keep grooves from developing.

Eric

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9294 on: June 21, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
Stone,
I have great results with 2016's out of my 50# Hills ... cut at 28 with 160gn b'heads and they fly sweet and I have taken a bunch of critters with them ... they weigh in at about 530gns ....
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9295 on: June 21, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
Ben helped me find a good set up for my Cheetah - 2016s @ 28 inches with 225 total point weight for 54@26.  Well tuned and hard hitting!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9296 on: June 21, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
:goldtooth:
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9297 on: June 21, 2012, 11:34:00 PM »
I like aluminum for my longbows. I'm shooting 2216 cut to 29" (28" draw length).

They end up being as economical as any other material (except my ramin dowels)and I know that every 2216 is going to be exactly like the last one even if there is a long time between sets.  I never end up with mixed weights and spine variants in my quiver... probably not a big deal, but I'm picky.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9298 on: June 21, 2012, 11:59:00 PM »
Exactly ! Well put Charlie !

I love woodies firstly and foremost  , and have had great success with AD Trad Lites ... But time and again I get the best most accurate results from my alloys ... I may be a tad slack and not one for tuning re carbons ]  as much as some but I have been at it a while and love the simplicity of cutting, trimming and 'tuning ' shafts without the need of a cut off saw ..... I also don't have to leave them uber long like I do with carbons .

I also find arrow for arrow that they are cheaper for me as I don't have to add weights etc .....

And they just fly so good from my Hills and Hill style bows ...

They don't even rattle that much in my back quiver ......
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9299 on: June 22, 2012, 12:19:00 AM »
Wouldn't using a Hill style quiver with broadheads cause damage to the quiver after a few seasons of bringing those razor blades in and out all the time?  I'm guessing that you'd only carry 4 or 5 arrows at a time, right?  Do you put something like those little leather sheath type covers on your broadheads before putting them in the quiver?

Or is this a non-issue and something you don't need to worry about with a Hill quiver?

Thanks

Nalajr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©