3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139346 times)

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #9300 on: June 22, 2012, 12:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by DWilhelm:
Dragonheart, could you explain what you mean by "zipties that are used for the label type".  I am familiar with zipties but unsure what you mean by the label type.  Thanks
Here is a photo.  I cut out the "label area" and shaped smoothed the edges.

Longbows & Short Shots

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9301 on: June 22, 2012, 12:30:00 AM »
My Sunset Hill "Okiciyapi"

Longbows & Short Shots

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9302 on: June 22, 2012, 12:47:00 AM »
Nala,

The quiver will be harder on the broadhead edges than the broadhead edges will be on the quiver.
I've got a machine stitched Hill quiver from the 60's that's had thousands of broadheads drawn from it and it's in great shape.

Hunting with a shoulder quiver is a little harder on broadhead edges than a bowquiver is. You just need to establish a routine of inspecting and touching up your broadheads each day.
It's really not as bad as you might think, though.

I never have used the leather broadhead covers, but think they could be a little unhandy.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9303 on: June 22, 2012, 01:11:00 AM »
I was blessed to meet Mr. Hill twice and got to see him shoot at his home in Vincent (Alabama). I grew up in Wilsonville,Al. (home of Mr. Hill) Me and Jerry had some good times shooting bows and hanging out in his shop.
 As far as back quivers we didnt know any other way but to bump the bottom of the quiver and it became second nature after awhile. I modified my Hill quiver. I changed the angle and top position of the strap so the arrows are in perfect position to be drawn without the "bump". One less thing I guess. Good shooting everyone.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9304 on: June 22, 2012, 02:10:00 AM »
I have carried broadhead tipped arrows in just  a few quivers over many years and they are still in great shape .One of the beauty's of a Hill style quiver is the collapsing quiver holds the arrows quite still and negates arrow movement which keeps sharp just fine IMHO.

the B'heads may need a touch up at the end of the day but then again , I have found they do in a bow quiver as well .....

I tend to carry 7 b'heads and 3-4 blunts in my back quiver
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9305 on: June 22, 2012, 03:07:00 AM »
I have wondered about my ability to use a Hill quiver because of my immobile neck and back.  I am also pretty rigid.  So extending around behind me and reaching up to get an arrow seems like a daunting chore for a person with the physical limitations I have.  ALL my vertebrae are totally FUSED from my skull to my pelvis...all of 'em.  Many months ago a member on another board sent me a basic Hill Quiver he came across and wasn't using it anymore.  I tried it out and the only way I could make it work was by using my bow hand to shove up on the quiver to find a comfy spot for me to grab an arrow.  I can do it, but it looks very sloppy.  This quiver is about 1/4th the size of a real Hill quiver.  I don't know if I would do better with a rigid, body fitting Hill Quiver than I do with this one.  I don't know anyone that has a FULL Hill I could try.  What would it cost to make a decent one?

I could also see where I could have to resort to using another strap to keep it in a favorite site and keep it there.

Any suggestions

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9306 on: June 22, 2012, 03:59:00 AM »
I moved my strap up higher and set it at a slight angle. Instead of the quiver riding low and out on the shoulder it rides closer toward the neck. This gave me about 2" of much needed extra draw on the arrow out of the quiver. Before I done this mod I had alot of trouble using it and had to do the bump alot of times. Now no bumping needed. If you don't mind experimenting and puting a hole or two in the quiver you might find the right formula like I did. Like Ben said the beauty of a Hill style quiver is that it eventually contours to your back and this helps keep the arrows quiet.
I also have neck problems and need a spinal fusion on L 3 thru L6. I am stocky built 5"9" and a 50" chest. My friends kid me and say I'm built like a stump, HaHa. Hang in there and you will succeed.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9307 on: June 22, 2012, 07:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ben Maher:
Stone,
I have great results with 2016's out of my 50# Hills ... cut at 28 with 160gn b'heads and they fly sweet and I have taken a bunch of critters with them ... they weigh in at about 530gns ....
Sounds like a good combo but I still like to shoot the old Bear razorheads they come out around 135-140 with long inserts and no bleeder. I can get them shaving sharp and they look nostalgic along side my Hill.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9308 on: June 22, 2012, 07:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by dragonheart:

About time you showed off that beauty.  I got to hold and shoot this bow guys and the craftmanship is second to none.  Nate does a great job.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9309 on: June 22, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
Jim, there are few heads around that I can get sharper than the old Bear Razorheads ... love 'em !
J.R.R TOLKIEN

« Reply #9310 on: June 22, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by dragonheart:

Nice!!   :thumbsup:

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9311 on: June 22, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »
That's a beautiful bow!!

Nalajr

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9312 on: June 22, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
I have some 28" 2016s with 125 up front that fly super weak from my 57@28 Union Jack and I draw 27". So I'm guessing 54# draw. I thought they would have flown great so now I am going to get a 2018 and a. 2117 and see what I can do. I would above bet the mortage those 2016s would have been perfect
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9313 on: June 22, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
Brian , bare shaft mine fly a tad weak but fletched w/b'heads they are darts .......
i would have mortgaged the house too ........
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9314 on: June 22, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »

Curious,about the name of the bow?I know what it means,im curious about the significance of it.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9315 on: June 22, 2012, 11:20:00 PM »
I believe Okiciyapi means “helping one another”
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9316 on: June 23, 2012, 01:41:00 AM »
As i posted,I know what the translation means.I was wondering about the story behind it,as a name for a bow.
My mother was Oglala oyate
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9317 on: June 23, 2012, 06:48:00 AM »
Yes, but you piqued my curiosity and I posted for others to know the translation/meaning.

Very nice name for a bow based on the meaning. And very nice bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9318 on: June 23, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
Ben, these are so weak they want to fly off the 2x2 target at 15 yards. Let's not even talk about 20 yds, te neighbors are in trouble!!
Now I have some GT 5575 at 30 1/4 that fly true,
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9319 on: June 23, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
My Hill "just passable" is right at 50# and use the Legacy 2016 Bop is 29" with 125 up front....
    And they fly great....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©