3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139333 times)

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #9360 on: June 26, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
Killy ... that is as sweet a bow as I have seen . I love osage in my longbows ... lurrve my yew but always dig the osage like i Got in my new Whippenstic string follow ...

And I have had good results with 15/35# GT's ... I also didn't have to leave them 25" extra long !

Charlie ... bet there are some fime memories in those bows .... sweet !!!
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9361 on: June 26, 2012, 11:49:00 PM »
Beautiful Hill Killy. Almost as pretty as you!

I love straight handle Hill and Hill type bows. Give it a month and you won't even have to think about how you grip it. It just happens. Please keep us informed on your progress. Shoot straight..... Dave aka cahaba

Very nice stable of bows and quivers Mr. Charlie.
Thanks for the pics.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9362 on: June 27, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »
Charlie...wow!!! an old Hill quiver and an old Schulz and an old Savora....how do you rate?

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9363 on: June 27, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »
Good looking bow Killy. Charlie nice work on the quiver and bows.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9364 on: June 27, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
Killy....
    Your new Bow goes really well with your Quiver....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9365 on: June 27, 2012, 12:51:00 PM »
Killy, I used to play with carbons and just went back to wood. I'll bet if I used that size it would have worked out, but I went through so much playing around with heavy heads and all that I got frustrated and scrapped it!  I had poor success overall with Hill style bows and carbons. I like the strength of carbons and they are quiet, but couldn't deal with all the components...

Now I'm back to enjoying cresting and finishing my woodies, and they are so easy to tune. I guess I accept broken arrows on occasion instead of indestructible poor arrow flight. I see some guys with great arrow flight with carbons and I'm a little jealous!

That's a great looking Osage!   Do you notice anything different from an Osage free bow?

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9366 on: June 27, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »
Killi-

The bow looks great!
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9367 on: June 27, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
Thanks for all the kudos for Craig and Jason's work. And yes, Mike, you made the perfect quiver for this bow!

I am getting a test set of 1535s ready for the range now. These are 11.3 GPP, and I can get them lighter with a 50 gr or standard insert. These are plain Janes of course, but I really love dressing up carbons. I have fun with all the folks who think they are wood! My latest set are the green ones in the pics.

Killdeer   :goldtooth:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9368 on: June 27, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »
Nice Killy! Wasn't able to get a clear look at the osage. Must be a beautiful contrast. I just ordered a cocabola handle and tips with osage veneers from Turay but I'll have to wait until Kalamazoo 2013.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9369 on: June 27, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
Killie -
Congratulations on the fine Hill. Craig and Jason are first class in my book. With turn around times on new bow orders in three to four weeks, they can't be beat.
Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9370 on: June 27, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
Kathy, I shoot GT3555 out of my Hill 48 @28, 29.5 long with 50 gr brass insert and 145 gr point. I have been playing around with some 1916's with 145 gr points and I like those better than carbon. I'm in the process of making up some Surewoods 55-60 with 160 grain points, Ill give a report on those later I did soot a couple deer last season with 55-60 cedar and 160 grain Hill heads and those flew nice.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9371 on: June 28, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
Here ya go, Smoke.

Still working into this bow, it is 47@26, and I pull 27". (I was a little squirrely on the phone, and I guess they missed the spec in my follow-up email). I thought I ordered cocobolo, but I was playing with chechen, too, and probably settled on that. It's all a blur! Well except for the waiting, and that is the SHORTEST wait I have ever had for a custom!

I am pleased as Punch with the bow.
Thanks for the arrow suggestions, folks.
Killdeer   :campfire:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9372 on: June 28, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
There ya go!

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9373 on: June 28, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
Nice lookin bow Killy,..   :archer:

I've used them from their introduction and still use them a lot, though I do play with other heads from time to time.  I'm planning to spend this coming season shooting Simmons Interceptors.... as a two blade.  I like my broadheads big!  -------------------- Hunt Sharp  Charlie  
Charlie, I like a big head too. Over the years I've used Goshawks, Dead Heads, Timberwolf, Simons, Deltas, and the big Magnus. Have you tried the Ace Super Express?..I've been using it for a few years now and it's a great head, strong, flys good and cuts a big hole...
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9374 on: June 28, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
Ron... I haven't used the Ace Super Express lately. I did use them MANY years ago. They are certainly impressive and great quality heads. I know why you like them so much.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9375 on: June 28, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
According to Bob at Ace, When they bought the business in 1999 the Super Express was a vented head that weighed 175 gr's. In 2000 they included the non vented head in 200gr so now you can get it in 175 and 200gr. They also extended the Ferrell and copper brazed the head to make it stronger. You might wanna give it another try..    :archer2:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9376 on: June 28, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
I'm sure that some of you have heard me say this before, so bear with me here 'cause I'm gonna repeat myself. In the early 1980's my go to bow was an 82# Hill Big Five made by Ted Kramer. A decade later I sold that bow and began shooting longbows 20 pounds lighter in draw. Many times since, I've often thought about that Kramer. Coke bottle grip, deep narrow limbs (1" wide just above the shelf tapering down to a tad under 7/16" at the nock); all four bamboo lams glued together in front of the handle. The stuff that true American longbows are made of.
Today I was able to turn the pages of those lost decades back. Back to Ted Kramer and the bows that he built for Howard Hill Archery.
As I unwrapped the bow that had been sent to me, the first thing I noticed was the BK 68482 serial number, then the beautifully grained bubinga riser. I knew before I unwrapped it that it had been returned to Craig for refinishing. The serial number and draw weight along with the copyrighted Howard Hill signature and Big Five label was circa Craig Ekin. But that didn't matter, the rest was unmistakeably Kramer. I strung the bow, took it out and shot 50 or so arrows through it. Each of the first 40 arrows turned back a year. The last dozen arrows or so and I was once again 32 years younger and thrillingly alive in the past.

I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9377 on: June 28, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
Now that , Danny , is just a perfect example of how much this archery stuff seeps into our consciousness ... and maybe with our longbows ... just more so than otherwise .

Way cool mate , and thanks for sharing that ...

Now pics Bud !!!
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9378 on: June 28, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
Danny-

It sounds like you reunited with your high school sweetheart  :goldtooth:  

Congrats, Let's see some pics.
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9379 on: June 28, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
Danny, I too have one of those Kramer-built Big Fives and she is a sweetheart!
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©