3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139312 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #9380 on: June 28, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
Danny,
Beautiful description of the power of a quality bow and memories of days past.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9381 on: June 28, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
That must be a dream eh Danny? Pretty bows and the vigor of youth. I can only imagine.
Now come out with em,
You know the drill,

PICS!(please)

I also have a new bow to tell about.

And, Like Big Ron, I love me some Ace Heads. Big Ones!

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9382 on: June 28, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
Pics added to original post.

Chuck - I got me some 160gr ACE Standards for this season.
Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9383 on: June 28, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
Danny, that was a GREAT post! I am personally inspired! Tell me you'll be on the Hill Gang Hog Hunt!

Bob Wilson

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9384 on: June 28, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
that has got to be one of the pertiest Howard Hill style bows ive ever seen. here is to the re acquaintance of to long lost friends. congrats to you Danny.rv
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9385 on: June 28, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
Well you snookered us Danny and stuck the pics in the original post. Ah well, That looks like a miegs built Big five I bought last summer. Huge grip but it was so right in the hand. That was a NICE bow, sets in a big collection now.
Them are some good heads,them ACE, and look real good on some wood comeing out of an American Longbow.
Nice bow Danny,
CTT
This is the Miegs. Look at that grip.

MONEY SHOT!

C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9386 on: June 28, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
danny and chuck, those are two of the pertiest hill bows ive ever seen. i love the look and feel of a bulbous grip on a long bow. great lookin bows fellas
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9387 on: June 28, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
I didn't think I could shoot that bow when I picked it up. The grip is HUGE and the pounds is heavy. I braced it and as soon as the string started back that bow settled right into my palm and the arrow was off,right down the line. a very sweet bow that is. Like I said, it now sits in a bigger collection but maybe one day I can shoot her again.
I need to work into this nice Dave Johnson that showed up today. What a pretty bow this one is.
pics of the DJ later.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9388 on: June 28, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
Danny and Chuck, those there are some beauties, you guys are dating twins.
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9389 on: June 28, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Two Tracks:
....I need to work into this nice Dave Johnson that showed up today. What a pretty bow this one is.
pics of the DJ later.
:clapper:    :jumper:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9390 on: June 29, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »
In the late 70's, early 80's Tim Meigs and Ted Kramer were both making bows for HH Archery. In 1978 I got a Big Five and a friend also got a Big Five from HH. Mine was made by Meigs and his was made by Kramer. They both said Howard Hill Fig Five on the limbs but they were two different bows. The kramer bow had a narrower handle and more backset than the Meigs bow.

I called Betty Ekin, Craigs mother who was the person to talk to at HH Archery back then, to check if they had a LH bow in stock. She said that she had one that was 85#. At the time the heaviest bow I had shot was a 70# recurve and I didn't know if I could even pull an 85# bow. I ask her how long it would take if I ordered a bow, she said it would be 6 months. I told her I'd call her back.

I took my 50# Bear Kodiak and my wifes 35# Red Wing Hunter, held both handles and grabbed both strings....pulled it to my anchor. 50 and 35 is 85#, right? I called Betty back and ordered the bow and a dozen arrows. I got the bow in late September and on October 7th I killed my first Longbow deer with it. That was first of many many longbows that would follow....     :archer:    

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9391 on: June 29, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
OK here is a question.  How many different bowyers have made bows for HH archery?

Offline Magwa45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9392 on: June 29, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
What a blast, shooting my HH Tembo a few days ago. First I was shooting my deflex reflex longbow, but the Hill is a different beast. I love that twang on release and when it hits home, you know it was just right!
Don in MD

KIMSHA Archery "Mattawoman II" Longbow
Jet Archery "Jaguar" Longbow
Howard Hill Archery "Tembo" Longbow

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9393 on: June 29, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »
Hermon, according to Bob Burton's book, "Howard Hill Collectibles", the different bowyers were as follows: Dale Phillips, Bob Stotler, Jim Darling, Don Burdette, John Schulz, Tim Meigs, Ted and Lee Kramer.  Craig Ekin began making them in 1980.  Bob lists the dates when each was making bows for Howard Hill Archery.  Some overlapped as Ron notes above.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

« Reply #9394 on: June 29, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
While I liked the grips on the Kramers and I did manage to shoot quite a few rabbits and pheasants with my 89 pound Big 5, but it shot slower than my previous reverse 85 pound Tembo built by John Schulz. I feel that the Hill line went uphill fast in the 80s when Craig started building them.  Seems that I read on here somewhere that he hired Dan Schulz to give him some bow building lessons.  They must have been pretty good lessons.

Offline tg2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9395 on: June 29, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
Talked to a bowyer that learned from John Schulz about this, because I've read an old article about Dan Schulz building bows for HHA. He told me that Dan Schulz never builded bows for HHA.
I think only Craig can tell how it's been.
Hope to get some info about that.
German by birth, Bavarian by the grace of god

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9396 on: June 29, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
In John Schulz book, Straight Shooting on page 23 John writes the following.
".....Pooling our resources "those Schulz boys"(as Howard liked to call us) opened Longbow Archery in Chatsworth, California.

Our building consisted of a retail front and a large shop area in the back. It was there that we put into production our own kline of longbows under our own name. We also built all of Howard's bows after he again started marketing longbows. All of those bows were completed, except finishing, then taken over to Howard for naming and his signature. We would then return the bows to our shop where we put the finish on them, along with the handle leather. From there we delivered them to Shawnee Archery for sale."

So as one can see from John's own words and the use of "We" meaning John and Dan "those Schulz boys" built bows for Howard Hill when he operated Shawnee Archery. HHA came later but at what date I am not sure.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9397 on: June 30, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »
When Steve Shultz had the American Lowbow website up, he had a real interesting history of his dad and uncle on how things began.

Cant find the website anymore.

Eric

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9398 on: June 30, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
Made a purchase in the trad-classifides and bought that Hill ruffed-grouse.Should have it sometime next week.Can,t believe nobody jumped on that.......
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9399 on: June 30, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »