3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139313 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #9400 on: June 30, 2012, 06:24:00 PM »
Never mind, I know the one. Too short and too light a draw for me. That is a sweet looking bow. And you got a wonderful deal
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9401 on: June 30, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
Here is information from Dick Whitman's web site on Howard Hill bowyers. Dick I hope you don't mind that I copied it.

"1949-1954 Dale Phillips- All the woven glass bows were made between 1952-53 by Dale. Dale was a personal friend of mine and his son Kurt is one of my best friends.

1954-1963 Jim Darling - Jim made mostly recurves for Hill

Bob Stotler - During the same period , Bob making mostly longbows.

Late 50's to early 60's Dan & John Schultz

1958- Howard Hill Productions begins selling products from Shawnee Archery

1960- Howard Hill Productions incorporates as Howard Hill Archery and moves to Sunland, Ca.

1965- Howard moves back to Alabama

1968- Ted & Betty Ekin sell their 1/2 interest in Shawnee archery to Dick & Mayzell Garve,r their partners, and move Howard Hill Archery to Hamilton, Mt.
During this time they hired John Schultz. He built bows for them until Howard passed away in 1975. John made the first few commemorative bows before leaving to start his own business.

1977-1985 Tim Meigs contracts to make bows for Howard Hill Archery from his Carson City, NV shop. Tim made all the remaining commemorative bows. I made the cutter that was used to inlay the medallion into the riser.

1977-1982 Ted Kramer contracts to make Howard Hill bows from his St. Ignatius, MT. shop

1977 Ted & Betty trademark the Howard Hill Signature and name.

1980 Craig starts gluing up bow blanks but does not build complete bows until 1981 and continues to build them today."
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9402 on: June 30, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
I wonder what the plan is after Craig decides to hang it up.  I only have 2 HHA bows both built by Craig and they are great.  I have talked to both Craig and Jason on the phone a handful of times over the years when ordering a bow but don't know them.  I can tell though they have a very good work ethic.  The fact you can call them up and give them all the different details you want in your new bow and 3 weeks later it shows up at your doorstep is amazing.  They obviously put in some hours and don't jack around.

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9403 on: July 01, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
I've been there 2 times,  their shop is modest, home style detached garage building, and they are both GREAT people.  Craig is a true gentleman and very patient.  I usually make an order then change small things about the bow and he has always been accommodating.  The last one he built for me, my Legendstick 75 lb. is the best yet.  All are great , but this one stands out among them.
Craig Ekins;
70" -60LB "Robin Hood",string follow  #47 of 50. LE
68" -70Lb Redman, string follow all YEW. "Yewlogy"
68" -75Lb@28. 3 lam Boo. String Follow- "LegendStick"

Ron Maulding : 68" Big Horn , Boo and Osage. 78#@27.

David Miller: Old Tom

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9404 on: July 01, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
I received an e-mail from a friend in Australia that I thought I should share with you fellow Hill Nuts.

It seems that one of Nate Steen's Sunset Hill bows has made the cover of a magazine Down Under. This is the bow he made for me just before my last trip to Australia. The name he wrote on the bow says it all: "GONE OUTBACK"

Luckily the photo does not show my face, as that would have forever kept it out of contention for a magazine cover. (A cover model I am not!)

The cover photo brought back some great memories. Beautiful country, eh?

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9405 on: July 01, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
Rik-

I knew it was you when I seen the pack on your back, Great pic!

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

« Reply #9406 on: July 01, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rik:
I received an e-mail from a friend in Australia that I thought I should share with you fellow Hill Nuts.

It seems that one of Nate Steen's Sunset Hill bows has made the cover of a magazine Down Under. This is the bow he made for me just before my last trip to Australia. The name he wrote on the bow says it all: "GONE OUTBACK"

Luckily the photo does not show my face, as that would have forever kept it out of contention for a magazine cover. (A cover model I am not!)

The cover photo brought back some great memories. Beautiful country, eh?

Cool!     :thumbsup:

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9407 on: July 01, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »
Til,
You are famous now. Your autograph on the next St. Jude's auction!! Good stuff
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Raminshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9408 on: July 01, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
On Gil Verweys post regarding past Howard Hill bowyers:  the Stotler brothers built all the bows, arrows, arm guards, quivers and shooting gloves from 1936 to 1961 (that's 25 years of bow building). This information came from Bob Stotler in an article written for TBM by Jerry Dishon in the Fall 92 issue.
Keep flinging those shafts!

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9409 on: July 01, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
Mark I will check with Dick to see who posted it. They only posted it as Bob. I would like to know which Bob.

I will get back to you.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9410 on: July 01, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
I spoke to Craig one time. He in fact stated he learned from Dan Schulz.

Offline C.Cannon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9411 on: July 01, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »
Hey guys I've just ordered a new hill bow that will come in at around 80# at my 26.5 inch draw length ( Craig Ekin bow with a modern Hill riser and shelf). I've always liked watching those vintage films of Howard shooting and liked those shorter arrows he shot.

So if I wanted to shoot as short an arrow as I could comfortably draw with this bow what length and spine should it be?

I would also want to use points around 160 grains

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9412 on: July 01, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by C.Cannon:
Hey guys I've just ordered a new hill bow that will come in at around 80# at my 26.5 inch draw length ( Craig Ekin bow with a modern Hill riser and shelf). I've always liked watching those vintage films of Howard shooting and liked those shorter arrows he shot.
Canon-

Congrats on the new bow! Will you be joining us next February at the HillGang Hog Hunt in Southern Ga?
Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

Offline C.Cannon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9413 on: July 01, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by tradlongbow:
Congrats on the new bow! Will you be joining us next February at the HillGang Hog Hunt in Southern Ga? [/QB]
idk yet, I'll have to see about college schedules and stuff (I'm a bit younger than most other Hill guys   :biglaugh:  ). Sounds like fun though.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9414 on: July 01, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by C.Cannon:

Originally posted by tradlongbow:
Congrats on the new bow! Will you be joining us next February at the HillGang Hog Hunt in Southern Ga? [/b]
idk yet, I'll have to see about college schedules and stuff (I'm a bit younger than most other Hill guys    :biglaugh:   ). Sounds like fun though. [/QB]
The hunts going to be on a Fri, Sat, and Sun.
Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

« Reply #9415 on: July 01, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
I have found that my rib condition does not like bows over 50 pounds left handed I may need to sell my left hand Pete George Highlander that is 64 pounds at 28", I think it is time for that Howard Hill Cougar. On top of that my son asked me to sell his yew Highlander that is a right hander that is 61 at 28".  I keep trying to put them on the classifieds, but every time I type up the add, I get a sinking feeling and erase it. Selling bows is hard for me, especially these two.

Offline Ontario Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9416 on: July 01, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
Great pic Rik.
Black Coffee, Red Wine, Blue Waters, Green fields, Yellow sunsets,Whitetailed Deer,, All the Primary colors of Life ,,,.
I don't choose the deer, the deer chooses me.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9417 on: July 01, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
On top of that my son asked me to sell his yew Highlander that is a right hander that is 611 at 28".
PM sent

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9418 on: July 02, 2012, 01:57:00 AM »
Yes, I am going to have to call Mr. Ekin and have him make me another bow, leaning toward that "Legendstick" sure is pretty.  Don't tell my wife, wink.

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9419 on: July 02, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
Very cool pic Rik!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©