3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139296 times)

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #9440 on: July 03, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
Crackling campfire, 32 degrees, I want hunting season!
Them's some bodacious quivers there!

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9441 on: July 04, 2012, 01:33:00 AM »
Aahh Stanley Id............the  coldest place in the U.S.    every year the coldest mean temperature average.   Just the thing to get me in the huntin', longbowshootin' frame of mind. :)

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9442 on: July 04, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »
I finally got power and internet. I have been going through withdraw symptoms from not being able to keep up with this thread. The storms also took out our power too. There has been linemen from all over the Eastern US here trying to get us online. The rugged mountains of WV made it very difficult as helicopters had to be used to make repairs. At least I still had my new to me Cheetah to keep me company.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9443 on: July 04, 2012, 05:21:00 PM »
Ha! I went to West Virginia yesterday to escape!
Just got power here too. Everything in the coolerator died.   :(

Killdeer

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9444 on: July 04, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »
After having the Union Jack for a while now and finally settling in on a shooting style for it I can say I don't see this bow leaving me untill I cannot pull it back anymore!!!!! I struggled at first with wanting to shoot it split because I love taking long shots for practice. But I have been a 3U shooter for a long time now even with barebow compounds. So, I am settling on 3U out to 35-40 yards and split from there to 60. Shooting both bareshaft give me good arrow flight. I have yet to understand what people mean by handshock from Hill Style bows because this thing just has a nice bump that talks to me.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9445 on: July 04, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »
Glad you've got power flowing once again, Killy.  Oh, how I HATE cleaning out failed freezers (Pee-Yew!?!)  But, now you'll have all the more excuse to go hunting to re-stock.

Too bad you couldn't "channel" Kalamazoo on those steaming,electron-less days...

Didn't read far enough back to see what happened to your ankle, but I hope it's on the mend!

Glad you are making it through.   :rolleyes:
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9446 on: July 04, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
Glad its working out for ya Brian !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Muss03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9447 on: July 05, 2012, 01:08:00 AM »
Reading this thread makes me want to try out a HH. I love the looks of those things.  I go to several shoots here in Ohio and shoot a winter trad league, but have yet to see a single HH bow. Seems to have quite the loyal following, wow.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9448 on: July 05, 2012, 05:54:00 AM »
Thanks for the good wishes, Hawkeye.  My ankle broke in May, but it is nearly done healing now.

Having grown up shooting recurves, and later, hybrid bows, I can say that the Hill is a whole nother critter. I am glad of it, too, as it has given me something new to work at and learn. I wish I had started earlier, as Kalamazoo would have been even more rich for me. Instead of translating Spanish for Steve Turay, I would have had some decent questions with which to pick his brain.

Ever find out that once you know a little, you realize how little you know?
I love that! Life will never be boring.
Killdeer   :thumbsup:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9449 on: July 05, 2012, 08:27:00 AM »
Here's a blast from the past (30 years ago) shooting a Hill style bow called "Black Magic" made for me by John Lee. It was the 2nd bow that John had made for me, he and I go back a long ways.

http://shrewbows.com/shrewhill.html

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9450 on: July 05, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
Promoting Howard Hill style archery 30+ years ago

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Rod Cam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9451 on: July 05, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
Ron. Black Magic Did you have it at the PA bow hunters Festivals in Forksville 30 years ago do you think there will ever be shoots like that again.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9452 on: July 05, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »
I may have had it but probably didn't shoot it on the coarse. My range bows back then were in the 80# + range and Black Magic was only 60#. I used it mostly for shooting demonstrations.

I doubt that Forksville will ever be like it was back then. There are other traditional only shoots that have taken over. I really did like that running deer novelty they have...  :archer2:

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9453 on: July 05, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
Ron when you were shooting heavy bows could you shoot them well say the day after you lifted weights? I ask because in my case my bows all weigh about 50lbs a very managable weight for me,however,say I hit the gym hard on monday and if I try to shoot on tuesday Im trembling at full draw, but by wendsday or sometimes thursday I'm fine.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9454 on: July 05, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »
Mike, I didn't "lift" weights to train for my heavy bows. I trained with bows in the 100 to 125# range to build myself up to handle bows in the 80# range with ease.

The ultra heavy bows made me tremble, especially the 125# but after shooting them my 80# bows were as smooth as butter...   :archer:

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9455 on: July 05, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
I shoot a 64# Hill style for a while (couple days) and then going back to the 49/55 Hills it's
like Ron said. To me they almost feel like kid's bows after shooting the 64#. I can't imagine shooting a 125# bow... 'Cause I couldn't do it.

:notworthy:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9456 on: July 05, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
I couldn't shoot the 125# at first either Bud, I had to work up to it. The hardest part was finely being able to string it by push pull..   :scared:

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9457 on: July 05, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »
Ron, speakin of the old days, what was that bow you brought up to our place in Manton? I remember it was Osage...like 112# or somethin..you were shootin everything we'd throw in the air. That would have been backin June of '82.

Eric

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9458 on: July 05, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
Ron,Man,you post some great pics on here.They're all nice to see.(I do thank the lord that there wasn't a camera handy when you slept out on the deck though!!!)You should publish a book,you've got a ton of really cool history in this sport!

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9459 on: July 05, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
Is there a thread that has captured and saved all the pics that have appeared in this thread?

I'd love to see them all if someone has.

Thanks

Nalajr.

If there isn't one, and a few are willing to help out a bit, I'll take a section of pages and get ALL the images and the others can do the same and then we can all upload them to a Photobucket account so everyone can see them or we can send them to someone else that would want to code them all and create their own thread.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©