3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139278 times)

Online 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #9500 on: July 08, 2012, 11:52:00 PM »
Brazos
My Hill Wesley likes 2016 29" BOP with 200 grains up front 50# @28 I draw 27-1/2.  The same bow arrow combo worked well @ 54# @ 28 before I had Craig shave the weight down.  Currently likes  Surewwod firs 28-1/4 bop parallel 11/32 with 125 Zwickey Eskimos 47-50# spine.  All arrows have 5-1/2" 3 fletch nocked above nock point and shot cock feather in.  Excellent flight.

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9501 on: July 09, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
Got a new Hill today the Ruffed-Grouse that was in the classifieds for a while.How high do you set your string nock 3/8 or????????
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9502 on: July 09, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »
Brazos...to reply to your post about spine,

you indicated what the bow weight was at 28" (have you verified this?) and what the arrows were bop.  However, nowhere do I read what your actual draw length is when shooting, not drawing in front of a mirror or friend,  and what the actual bow weight is at that draw.  That is the critical part.  Only then can correct arrow spine be evaluated.

I just got back from the North American Longbow Safari.....longbows of every shape and size where there.  Got to shoot with Bob Burton and talk Hill stuff which was neat....

however,  I watched alot of shooters, and the majority have arrows sticking out many inches in front of their bows.  The nice fellow I shot with for two days chided my shooting companion for having arrows too short...(he was drawing the broadhead 1/2" from the back of the bow)  while the "chider" told me his bow was 58# @ 28", he had arrows 29" bop and when he shot there was at least 4" of arrow sticking out....to me that means his draw was about 25", his bow weight around 52# and his arrows were severly underspined.  He had the typical arrow wobble if his form wasn't absolutely perfect.  This scenario is extremely typical of trad shooters today.  no wonder people can't get wood arrows to shoot well.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9503 on: July 09, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »
I agree totally Nate! It seems that many if not most of today's archers are afraid of over drawing their arrows. Of course the addition of a lot of extra arrow length is going to adversely affect selection of proper arrow spine not to mention impact on good and stable arrow flight. Ultimately those factors affect accuracy and the lack thereof.

While Howard Hill advocated fairly short arrows and most interpret that as his inability to find stiff enough shafts, I question that logic.

I personally believe there were other factors involved.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9504 on: July 09, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
I think it is pretty easy to take a couple arrows with the desired broadheads and start shooting them to tune. I start with them a little long and work them down until they are lasers. I'll also play a little with the nock point, starting either high or low and changing it until everything is perfect.  I use bright fletched and I can see the wobble, or can consistently see that they shoot right (weak for RH), or left which I typically don't experience because I start with weak shafts and I am careful not to cut them too short. The spine calculators I am sure are close, but it's also fun to figure it out.  I think it's hard to beat wood arrows with the glue on tips for ease of precise tuning and changing things. For aluminums I usually just convert the wood combo to aluminum size.  I think 2016 are about a 62# spine.
For me, a 55-60# shaft with a 200 gr point at 27 1/2" is good for a 50# hill bow.  I draw up to 27", but more commonly 26 1/2".

Having shot trad for 20 years I agree with the post above that a huge number of archers don't draw near what they think they do on targets as opposed to just drawing to check length. Consistency is key to arrow tuning.

I figured out speed difference of about 1" of draw length on a chrono and found I lost 4 fps.  If I can hit the spot and have great flight, why would I worry about that insignificant loss? I shoot 68" bows and the difference in limb movement is very small at a 27 or 28" draw.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9505 on: July 09, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »
Nate, you mean like this?...    :rolleyes: ....   :bigsmyl:

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9506 on: July 09, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
Holy cow that looks like a broadhead on a broom handle!!! What's the draw weight?

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9507 on: July 09, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
Prolly made Nancy mad when Ron cut off her good broom to make that arra.  :bigsmyl:  

Eric

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9508 on: July 09, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
No hand shock in that bow with that arrow!
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9509 on: July 09, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
I'm really interested in what the heck it was you were planning to shoot with that arrow!
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9510 on: July 09, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by khardrunner:
I'm really interested in what the heck it was you were planning to shoot with that arrow!
I'm remember him mentioning Moby Dick awhile back in this thread!!!!!!!!!!  :eek:

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9511 on: July 09, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
yeah Ron...it looks like you were ahead of your time for sure....lol

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9512 on: July 09, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
I made that arrow just for the heck of it. 3/4" dowel, I forget what the steel tie on broadhead weighed but it was heavy. The bow was made by Ron Maulding, 104# I was drawing it a full 28", the arrow was 36". It looks impressive but it actually didn't fly worth a hoot...   :D
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9513 on: July 10, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by sunset hill:
Brazos...to reply to your post about spine,

you indicated what the bow weight was at 28" (have you verified this?) and what the arrows were bop.  However, nowhere do I read what your actual draw length is when shooting, not drawing in front of a mirror or friend,  and what the actual bow weight is at that draw.  That is the critical part.  Only then can correct arrow spine be evaluated.

I just got back from the North American Longbow Safari.....longbows of every shape and size where there.  Got to shoot with Bob Burton and talk Hill stuff which was neat....

however,  I watched alot of shooters, and the majority have arrows sticking out many inches in front of their bows.  The nice fellow I shot with for two days chided my shooting companion for having arrows too short...(he was drawing the broadhead 1/2" from the back of the bow)  while the "chider" told me his bow was 58# @ 28", he had arrows 29" bop and when he shot there was at least 4" of arrow sticking out....to me that means his draw was about 25", his bow weight around 52# and his arrows were severly underspined.  He had the typical arrow wobble if his form wasn't absolutely perfect.  This scenario is extremely typical of trad shooters today.  no wonder people can't get wood arrows to shoot well.
Back when I was in the custom arrow business the most difficult item for me to overcome was finding the actual draw length when shooting of the customer. 95% of them always thought their draw length was many inches more than it actually was. The only sure way I've found to find ones actual draw length when shooting was to have someone watch them over many shots so the shooter was not thinking about draw length but just concentrating on shooting. Most were 2" shorter and when dealing with snap shooters(those releasing while still drawing back-never reaching anchor) are 2-4" or more shorter than they think.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9514 on: July 10, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
Why do I not hear of the Bama Hunter much in this thread. It looks like a Hill style bow to me. What is it that it is not considered a Hill Bow? It is a straight limbed ( slight reflex or backset) bow that can come straight dished or locator grip. Can someone answer me this.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9515 on: July 10, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
Brianlocal3, the Bamabow is an american flatbow. The width of the limbs is wider than the hill style and the grip on mine is also a wider version than on my hill.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

« Reply #9516 on: July 10, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
Kelly, I have seen the same thing and at times have suffered from the same problem. One good way to control draw lengths is to shoot net length target and blunt tipped arrows. According to the charts the arrow needs to be the next lower spine, but I have found that in most cases with cedar arrows they fly right on even if they are the same spine as broadhead arrows with a half inch for finger clearance.  This is more difficult to do with graphite and metal arrows.  Aluminum arrows with a fatter diameter get stiff quick when getting cut shorter.  Wood gets stiffer as well, but there is magic in the arrow flight when the point is pulled right into the bow

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9517 on: July 10, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
Interestingly, when I was shooting RH my draw was shorter at about 27" measured using a close pin at the front of the riser. But when I started shooting LH and was able to use a healthy left shoulder, my draw increased to near 30". This is even with a hill style bow and grip! I think I get the ILF recurve back a bit further but not much.

By the way, I know for a fact I'm drawing that far as I can feel the aluminum collar from the arrow on the bow shelf when I draw it back. This is with full length carbons!
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9518 on: July 10, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »
Since we are back on the subject I started a few days ago, my actual draw is 27-3/4 to 28".  My Wesley Special I bought about 10 + years ago I ordered with a 29" draw @ 60#.  I realized after all the time I spent measuring prior to my order was a waste of time as my draw did shorten up.  My new bow I had it made using 28" @ 50#.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9519 on: July 10, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
Can't believe the Dave Johnson and Dave Miller bows have been sitting this long on the classifieds here! Right Hand shooters should be all over those!
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Users currently browsing this topic:

Arzack and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©