3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139277 times)

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #9520 on: July 10, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
I for one have a bow coming from each of these fine gentlemen. Difficult enough to buy two, let alone 4 at the same time. But that's just my wallet talking, not really me. I'd buy most every bow in the classifieds if not stopped by the "wallet".
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9521 on: July 10, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
I keep going back and looking at the Dave Johnson bow.Almost talk myself into it then realise it's just too light for what I like.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9522 on: July 10, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
The American Flatbow (AFB), also known as the American longbow, was developed in the 1930s. It resulted from scientific investigation into the best cross-sectional shape for a bow limb. This research was expected to explain why the English longbow's D-section was superior to all other extant designs. Instead, it showed that the best cross-section was a simple rectangle.[2] The AFB was developed by applying these research findings to the English longbow. The result was a more efficient and stable bow which can be made from commoner woods. Because of its coincidental resemblance to some native North American bows, the AFB is also known as the "semi-Indian" bow.

The American Flatbow (AFB), also known as the American longbow, was developed in the 1930s. It resulted from scientific investigation into the best cross-sectional shape for a bow limb. This research was expected to explain why the English longbow's D-section was superior to all other extant designs. Instead, it showed that the best cross-section was a simple rectangle.[2] The AFB was developed by applying these research findings to the English longbow. The result was a more efficient and stable bow which can be made from commoner woods. Because of its coincidental resemblance to some native North American bows, the AFB is also known as the "semi-Indian" bow.

The AFB was popularised by Howard Hill and quickly displaced the English longbow as the preferred bow for target shooting. The modern Olympic-style recurve bow is a development of the AFB, usually made mainly of fiberglass rather than wood, with a built-up handle section and recurved limbs like those of the traditional Asiatic composite bow.and quickly displaced the English longbow as the preferred bow for target shooting. The modern Olympic-style recurve bow is a development of the AFB, usually made mainly of fiberglass rather than wood, with a built-up handle section and recurved limbs like those of the traditional Asiatic composite bow.

According to this. The Hill style bow is an American Flatbow. So does that mean both Bamabows and Hills are flat. Not looking into semantics here but trying to find a definition of Hill style.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9523 on: July 10, 2012, 11:36:00 PM »
Brian -
I think if you look at the length of the riser (fade out to fade out) of the Hill bow and compare that to the Bamabows, you'll see there is quite a bit of difference. Longer riser equals shorter limbs, shorter riser, longer limbs even though the overall length may be equal. While the Bamabow may, by definition, be classed as an AFB, it is not a Hill style bow due the over-sized riser. No semantics, but that IMHO, is the major difference.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9524 on: July 11, 2012, 12:57:00 AM »
Pavan...you are right. A arrow pulled until the head is into the bow feels 'right' and it shoots beautifully.

Casual definitiin of a Hillstyle bow is a short riser and narrow deep-cored limbs wherin the bottom limb is shorter than the top by a fair bit.   Actually very few bows touted as Hillstyle meet these two characteristics.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9525 on: July 11, 2012, 07:41:00 AM »
Danny and Nathan,
 Thank you for the clear definition. So a "Hill" style bow is a an AFB but with specific characteristics partial to Mr. Hills personal bow style. And then the Bama bow and Union Jack are AFB's with slightly different characteristics. Roger that , hear and understood.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Rod Cam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9526 on: July 11, 2012, 07:46:00 AM »
Nate..You and pavan are right if everyone would try this they would see how their Hill bows are meant to work.I was taught to do this  by one of the best. when ever he told me to try something and i listened it worked. No one wants to listen to the guys who proved it to be the right way.Pull that head right back on the rest and see how good that bow will shoot and get rid of that side plate, shoot right against the wood, your bow will work better.

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9527 on: July 11, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
The shorter lower limb of Hill-style bows is a fantastic advantage for me, as I shoot nearly all my animals from a kneeling position. These bows are MADE to hunt.

Elk season?  Seven weeks and counting. . .

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9528 on: July 11, 2012, 08:00:00 AM »
Brian, I think the definition covers a bit of ground but then I may be wrong ...
I am fine with "my" definition which means afb ... being straight, reflexed or string follow ...with deep cored limbs and thin , not wide limbs ... my Belchers are pretty deep cored , about the same as My Miller , My Whippenstick is slightly wider at the fades [ which are a smidgeon longer than my Hill fades ] but has narrower tips than any of my other Hill AFB's and My Hills are deeper cored but wider than some others inc my Shelton  .

I think there is plenty of room to move in terms of definition , within reason ... but again I may be wrong .

And I'd be more than welcoming of a Bama straight bow just as I would of reverse handle, carbon backed Hill ...
Neither quite fit "my" definition but they sure wouldn't stand out too badly at "only kool kids need apply Hill style bow shoot " which I am holding in a few months ... with all 7 participants ...lol

Funny creatures aren't we ......
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

« Reply #9529 on: July 11, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
I have heard that Hill style shooters have been accused of being arrogant. Nothing could be as arrogant as the wheelie shooter, (hunts on a $4000 per year lease all by himself)m that gave me crap last night. I was out sitting in my Huntmore chair with my yew/myrtle job with about 18 arrows in my quiver,about 18 yards from my white 6'by 4' target. Earlier I got bit by a hornet, they love sitting on my target. I was spraying arrows all over the target, you guessed it, I was huntin', hornets.
   The rich wheelie dude walks by every evening and never says a word. Last night,"If that's the best you can do, cut it in half and burn it, you have have no business trying to hunt with that junk." I said pointing at the target "Wait for it."  A wasp landed on the target, I shot fast and I missed it by a hair, once again.  His eyes bugged out and he walked away without saying another word to me.  That is arrogant.
  I don't really have a problem with longbows that have variants in shapes, Hill style to me is more of a style of shooting and hunting than the actual bow, but I do like like them to be about an inch wide, deep cored and narrow  enough at the tip to pick your nose with..

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9530 on: July 11, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »
 I don't really have a problem with longbows that have variants in shapes, Hill style to me is more of a style of shooting and hunting than the actual bow, but I do like like them to be about an inch wide, deep cored and narrow enough at the tip to pick your nose with..  
long enough to pole vault a creek and reach the biggest apples in a tree ...   :goldtooth:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

« Reply #9531 on: July 11, 2012, 11:10:00 AM »
I have too many hospital bills  to pay right now, but there is a little left hand job on the Shrew sight, not long enough to vault with, it would not reach the big apples, but I bet I could shoot apples out of the tree with it.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9532 on: July 11, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
well said Pavan...

I had a chance one time to confound the compound fellas....they were interested in how a longbow works...so I was showing them on a standard target bale, but they weren't too impressed because they were shooting little groups themselves.  So I just sat down on my butt and shot some groups and then laid down on my belly and put a few arrows in the middle of the bale and they just stood there and stared and I just grinned  :)   :)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9533 on: July 11, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »
:biglaugh:   Nate, I've done that a few times too, even threw in some sitting down and shooting with my foot.....that really throws em..   :eek:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9534 on: July 11, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
Here's my Miller Tonkin, no glass bow. I've had it since the expo but just got around to taking a couple pictures.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9535 on: July 11, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
I am fortunate to have a Miller split boo, but every time I see pics or one for sale, its hard to hold back from ordering another!  Beauty Ron!

Besides the name, what are the specs on that bow Ron?

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9536 on: July 11, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »
beautiful work!

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9537 on: July 11, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
Ron,

that new Miller looks an awful lot like my favorite glassed 'natural' bow  "Eagle Eye" I built a few years ago...never should have sold this one, I just sent it out for a fellow to try out and I never got it back...learned my lesson for sure    ;)       :readit:

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9538 on: July 11, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
Nice bows Ron and Nate!

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9539 on: July 11, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
now we can argue about Hill style definition all day long ... but i think if we want a standard to go by , Ron and Nate's photo's are a darn fine place to start !!!

Pavan , your quote below ...
  "I don't really have a problem with longbows that have variants in shapes, Hill style to me is more of a style of shooting and hunting than the actual bow, but I do like like them to be about an inch wide, deep cored and narrow enough at the tip to pick your nose with.  
Says it way better than I ever could brother !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Users currently browsing this topic:

Arzack and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©