3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139244 times)

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #9660 on: July 17, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
For my money, I just have no real interest anymore in anything but a true custom longbow.  I have chased the "magic bow" through the classifieds for several years.  

I have to say that the longbow Nate built me just fits.  It is built for my handsize, actual true draw length, and bow length for the most performance.  The longbow fits me.  

The more I "groove in" with the bow, the more I realize how easy this bow is to shoot.  You may luck upon a bow that fits, but having a bowyer build one that fits you, well it just has no equal

I have been shooting a group of arrows.  One of the arrows of the bunch was "in the middle" most of the time.  I marked it and randomly shot.  It kept being the one in the middle.  I shot at 20, 40, and 55 yrds.  

That arrow was sent to an arrow supplier and he matched the spine and weight and I have some shafts on the way.

It is just as important to find the right arrow for your longbow, thru actually shooting different arrows and distance.  This is still the best way to find the right spine.  

With a custom fitted longbow and a matched arrow,  You discover how enjoyable this "Hillstyle" can be.  Now all I have to do it keep shooting the same bow and arrow and get automatic!
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9661 on: July 17, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
This has been the greatest thread of any i have ever read.  There is a ton of info in these 645 pages.  Somewhere in the 645 pages I thought I read how this thread was archived in some way it could be searched.  Did I just imagine this?  If not how can it be done?

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9662 on: July 17, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
Right in the   FIRST POST   there is a link to the search feature. Looks like it hasn't been indexed in about 6 months.
Thom

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9663 on: July 17, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
Wow. That Schulz built Tembo would be on its way to Canada if I hadn't just laid down a deposit on a new Miller....
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9664 on: July 17, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
I should not have looked in the classifieds at that Schulz!  I will not look, I will not look.....
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9665 on: July 17, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
Thanks for the link to the first post.  Wouldn't have looked there.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9666 on: July 17, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
That's funny Dragonheart, after that last post, you can't buy that Schultz!!  

So I am unfamiliar with the reason for demand for Schultz build bows...is it nostalgia, quality, something special?

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9667 on: July 17, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by David Mitchell:
cahaba, have you scaled the Hill?  Most of mine run 3-4# heavier than marked--had one that was 6# heavier.  The last new one I got is right on the money as marked.
I have not scaled it David. I need to buy some scales. The Hill does feel a bit heavier.
I told Craig to set it up for 27" draw. I draw 26.75"  The Northern Mist has skinny limb tips and it shoots noticably faster and has virtually no thump. IMO thinner limbs especially the tips makes for a smoother, faster bow and is just as stable.The next Hill I order I am going to ask Craig if he will make me a 66" with a 12" riser with deeper cored skinnier limbs especially at the tips. The bows I have seen of Mr. Hills had limb profiles closer to my Northern Mist. I like the handle on the Hill better. It measures 2" deep,4 1/2" long and 1" wide. I think the next handle will be 2 1/4" deep.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9668 on: July 17, 2012, 11:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Overspined:
That's funny Dragonheart, after that last post, you can't buy that Schultz!!  

So I am unfamiliar with the reason for demand for Schultz build bows...is it nostalgia, quality, something special?
It must be that really cool name.     :laughing:
Longbows & Short Shots

« Reply #9669 on: July 17, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »
There is just no way that I would let go of my Schulz Legend for $550.  That Schulz in the classifieds will have guys fighting over it.

Offline Basil_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9670 on: July 18, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by sunset hill:
OS...The trick is knowing how to mesh all the factors together to get the best bow for you.  Mtlongbow recently did this with a bow from Craig and loves it.  It can be done....I have thrown out tech tips here and there to help guys in their search for their magic bow....
I'm sure I missed the posts but what did he do for the bow that made them so different from Craig's regular bows?

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9671 on: July 18, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
Basil...
it's a Legendstick model with Tembo limbs, no sideplate

Offline tg2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9672 on: July 18, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Overspined:

Just real good bows!
German by birth, Bavarian by the grace of god

Offline Basil_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9673 on: July 18, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
this is a question from my wife.

She is wondering if anyone has a bow with a purple heart riser? Pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks all

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9674 on: July 19, 2012, 12:08:00 AM »
Ok y'all I hate to admit it but I have been thinking my next bow will be a Bear 80's green stripe but I just looked at Ron's website and saw the Shrew Hill and I might want to try one of those next instead. I dont see it talked about on here, I see Miller HHA, Sunset and NM. Does anyone have experience with them? What's the wait time on one? It's got my intrest peaked, and I'm loving the no lams up the belly look. The grip looks very very similar to the NM straight grip.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Trad Longbow Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9675 on: July 19, 2012, 05:52:00 AM »
I posted a new thread looking for everyone to list their HH style bows dimensions and specs, here is the link:

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=118728

Check it out and list you bows, I am interested in different bow.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9676 on: July 19, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
Brian local3, I have ShrewHill #1.  She's a lefty, 48#@28".  Marked 68" long but in actual fact is 1" shorter than all my other 68" bows nock to nock.  Nice bow but it would not replace any of my Hills or Northern Mists or Wallace Mountains (Dave Wallace not Wes).  Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the ShrewHill.  Just find the others to have the edge for me.  Wait time on one is right at a year--three weeks on the Hills!  Hard to beat that. Most all the bowyers can and will make you the "no lams up the belly" look.  The standard riser on the ShrewHill is a bit more narrow and peaked in the palm area than Steve's grip on the NM but again, they will all make you what you want in that area too.  Just be specific in what you want--give them dimensions.

You know, after lots of years and lots of longbows on the wall, I don't find much difference in any of them.  All the chat about tweaking riser length, limb taper, etc, we're still talking small differences at best in my own pretty extensive experience.  To date I have not had the opportunity to shoot a David Miller bow, but honestly doubt they would be noticeably an improvement on the bows I own.  I have shot most of the best out there and they all shoot pretty much the same--never picked one up yet that made me say, "WOW!  What a difference!".  Either that or I'm just so bad that I can't shoot the difference.       :D
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Claymore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9677 on: July 19, 2012, 09:38:00 AM »
I like your post David.
Don Dow 37@30
HH Cougar 38@30
Hoyt Excel 38@30

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9678 on: July 19, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
Basil,
You can get a Hill bow with Purple Heart. Check out the site.
   Howard Hill
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9679 on: July 19, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
I'd like to make a Hill style back quiver this weekend.... Can yall recommend the weight of leather I should use?  

Doing a search resulted in an abundance of answers.  I figured it's best to ask the guys that actually make and use ‘em!
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Arzack and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©