3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139243 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #9680 on: July 19, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
David,
That is kinda my thinking on these kind of subjects but I figured I'd ask because I just don't hear about them much. In all honesty I prefer the  NM straight grip the best over all grips I have tried I just dont like the 9-10 month wait time. So I am eagerly watching classifieds and his I stok list. I have not tried a HHA bow yet. And the Belcher UJ is just a stud of a bow, but I already have one in perfect specs so I'm looking for a new bower to try
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9681 on: July 19, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
Gregg just dropped this one off this morning, it's  going out to a customer. It has some real nice yew under clear glass, African Blackwood and beavertail grip. 70" 55#@ 30"

David, there is a difference    :archer2:   ...maybe your final analysis is right ?...   :dunno:

:D
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9682 on: July 19, 2012, 11:11:00 AM »
I had a chance to shoot Ron LaClairs Shrew Hill a couple of days ago when he was up north visiting.  Even though it's a southpaw bow, it shot extremely nice. Without silencers it had the slightest of hummm and it was so well behaved in the hand that I thought I was shooting a reflex/deflex bow.  I foresee a Shrew Hill in the stable sometime in the near (9 month) future.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Jacquesbonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9683 on: July 19, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
Jeff, I am fortunate to have purchased both bows Nate had listed on Trad Gang. Now to wait till they arrive. I am considering putting my John Schults string follow up for sale. It is 66'and70#s at26"s, brown glass, myrtle riser, and bamboo limb core, the specs and material in the new Schults are the same. Looking forward to this years hunting with my new bow! I have own around a thousand Hill longbows and around 25 Schults "Trohy Hunters. The bows perform the same, if they are similar length and draw weight. Just to wet you Howard Hill enthusiast, appitite for thing Hill. I won the "Howard Hill World Championship" in the year 2000, It was billed the final chapter. I used a John Schults, "short String"63"and 67#s at 25". The arrows I had made by Renne Grenier of "Lost Nation" archery, they were white shafts white fletching with red nocks, spined 65 with 145 grain tips. Carried in a leather quiver with the very same wrinkle as Howards quiver. Saturdays events, shooting the 28 moving targets, I had my hair died black, including my mustache and eyebrows. )They bleach blonde in the sun.) I wore a complete white cotton linen British Safari outfit complete with the pith helmet. It doesn't get any better than that. On sunday I wore a white silk shirt and pleated pants and golfing shoes, they way Howard would dress when was attending the big tournaments in California. This was my only time to compete in the Worlds championship in Alabama, so I was focused and my shooting was spot on. The boys I shot with kepted saying your tearing them up, your tearing them up! When we had finished the tounament, I asked what the term tearing them up ment. The response was didn't I know Howard would shoot at a five pound butter box at 40yards and tear it up in to tiny pieces. I knew that but didn't make the connection. I will say that event was without question the most difficult course I have ever shot, I shot very well. I have to say it also is the most oustanding win in my archery career and still means the most to me even 12 years later, it was a wonderful experience, especially having Jerry Hill shake my hand and say good moring "Howard" I don't mind sharing any of my accomplishments and stories of the past. It gives me a moment to go back and relive them. Remember when go to field and shoulder a quiver of arrows and draw your bow for a moment, even if it is just a moment each one of us become "Howard Hill"  

If any would like totalk archery I can be reached at 603-497-2176 or online at jacquesabonin@gmail

Thanks and "God Bless"

Offline MarkE2006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9684 on: July 19, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »
Enjoyed your comments Jacque.  :archer:
'10 Howard Hill Wesley Special 70" 45@28; '09 Turkey Creek 62" 55@28; '09 Brush Country Wasp II 64" 54@28; '07 Turkey Creek Dbl Carbon 64" 56@28; '64 Wing Red Wing Hunter 58" 38@28; '62 Wing Red Wing Hunter 58" 50@28

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9685 on: July 19, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
Beautiful bow Ron.  :thumbsup:
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9686 on: July 19, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
For the leather back quiver, you have options...

This is what I've found.  They are hard to break in if the leather is too thick.  They just don't conform to your back, and take an immense amount of break in time.  Fine for range shooting.

If you are willing to make small adjustments, you can double up the leather/add a thicker piece around, and on the bottom so the broadheads don't poke through, and then use a thinner leather for the core quiver. This way, it breaks in and bends easier, and still prevents broadheads from pushing through the leather on the lower end of the quiver, and on the bottom.  Make sense?  I go by feel, but think I use about 6 oz for the quiver, with a 5" extra wrap of 8 oz, and 2 layers on the bottom of 8 oz.  Again I can't remember exactly but this is how I keep them tough and pliable.  Also, after applying dye and before the finish, apply neats foot oil to soften the leather, and you can also work the leather to soften it up prior to stitching.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9687 on: July 19, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »
Ron-

I think that is the best looking ShrewHill I've seen. They keep getting better and better.
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9688 on: July 19, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
Great story Jaque,
Sounds like you went to AL to make some history that weekend. Thanks for sharing it with us.
CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9689 on: July 19, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
Jacque-

Do you have pics? I would like to see them.
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9690 on: July 19, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
Gregg just dropped this one off this morning, it's  going out to a customer. It has some real nice yew under clear glass, African Blackwood and beavertail grip. 70" 55#@ 30"

I hope it shoots as good as it looks. I'm sure it will. I anticipate needing another freezer.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9691 on: July 19, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Overspined:
For the leather back quiver, you have options...

This is what I've found.  They are hard to break in if the leather is too thick.  They just don't conform to your back, and take an immense amount of break in time.  Fine for range shooting.

If you are willing to make small adjustments, you can double up the leather/add a thicker piece around, and on the bottom so the broadheads don't poke through, and then use a thinner leather for the core quiver. This way, it breaks in and bends
easier, and still prevents broadheads from pushing through the leather on the lower end of the quiver, and on the bottom.
  Make sense?  I go by feel, but think I use about 6 oz for the
quiver, with a 5" extra wrap of 8 oz, and 2 layers on the
bottom of 8 oz.  Again I can't remember exactly but this is
how I keep them tough and pliable.  Also, after applying dye
and before the finish, apply neats foot oil to soften the
leather, and you can also work the leather to soften it up prior
to stitching.
Thanks for the help   :pray:
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9692 on: July 19, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
 I hope it shoots as good as it looks. I'm sure it will. I anticipate needing another freezer.  
Do you want me to hang onto it for a few days and field test it? I can give you a full evaluation by Monday or Tuesday of next week ...   :readit: ....     :goldtooth:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9693 on: July 19, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
Beautiful bow Ron.

Online Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9694 on: July 19, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
Ron, you do have a mean streak, don't you!
Killdeer   :biglaugh:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9695 on: July 19, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
Ron should pass that one around for all of us to try!  That way it is sure to be broke in before it arrives, a little quality control!

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9696 on: July 19, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
Thats a mighty Purty bow!!

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9697 on: July 19, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:

Do you want me to hang onto it for a few days and field test it? I can give you a full evaluation by Monday or Tuesday of next week ...    :readit:  ....      :goldtooth:  [/b]
Sure, as long as you can mail it on Monday. If I could have it in my hands by the next weekend, that'd be great. I'd like to see how you think it compares to your other bows.

I'm thinking the African Blackwood will give it a lot of heft and make for a very stable shooting bow.

Offline Berliner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9698 on: July 20, 2012, 02:34:00 AM »
Ron-
BEAUTIFUL bow...... wow!! and my specs 70" 55@30......  ha, ha, ha....

I am shooting a Jerry Hill, so I am used (and like it) to the narrow/racetrack/hatchet/wedge style of grip. Would you consider to ship a ShrewHill over the big pond? Waiting time?
Greetings from Hamburg, Germany
Vincent      :archer2:
Jerry Hill - Stalker deluxe 69" [email protected]
Osage Selfbow - 66" [email protected]

Offline Jacquesbonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9699 on: July 20, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
Darin, I do have pictures, however they were taken back in 2000. I can try to take pictures with my digital camera, not sure of the quality. On top of that I would have to send pictures to someone who could post them for me, as I haven't learned to post them on this thread. It may take me some time, as I have interviews later today. Very important to become employed, so I can continue my archery adventures. Talk later,Jacques

Users currently browsing this topic:

Arzack and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©