3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139206 times)

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #9700 on: July 20, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
Jacques, I think I met you years ago at the Stockbridge shoot in Mass.Walter lucky and Byron Ferguson where shooting there that year.Guys,if I'm remembering the right guy,Jacques can shoot!!!

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9701 on: July 20, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
Well, last night was doing my practice session.  then I remember reading what Mr. Lamb said on here about treestand practice from a bucket or ladder at a small object.  so, out came my Gorilla Ladder and platform and some blunts.  I have hunted from a treestand alot over the years and practiced.  Mr. Lamb was correct, as usual.  It work perfect shooting at a small object from about 4' off the ground.  Just wanted to pass this along.  I have usually climbed into a stand in a tree in my yard.  but this is quicker and just as good as 15 feet up and safer.

Offline cedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9702 on: July 20, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »
I have acquired a 70" Wesley Special this week.  It is 44@29, cocabola riser and bamboo limbs.  What would be the recommended brace height?  For you string makers, what length string should I make for it?  And would 14 strand D97 padded to 16 or 18 be good?  What length would you make the top and bottom string loops?  Thanks for the help.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9703 on: July 20, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
brace will probably be between 6.5-7.25. I usually like lower though.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9704 on: July 20, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by John49:
I have acquired a 70" Wesley Special this week.  It is 44@29, cocabola riser and bamboo limbs.  What would be the recommended brace height?
In Craig's guarantee paper he reccomends 6 1/2" +/- 1/8" for a 70" bow. From there the brace height should be reduced by 1/8" for every 2" of bow length. 66"= 6 1/4" brace height

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9705 on: July 20, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »
I personally would build a 66" string for a 70" bow. But I prefer a brace height on my 68" longbows to be around 6 3/4 to 6 7/8". And yes, the 14 strand D97 with padded loops sounds just about right.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9706 on: July 20, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
John, Just make the loops so they fit, no need for extra Big loopsl on that string. The top one just a touch bigger. I don't use D97 so can't answer that bundle question

Offline Trad Longbow Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9707 on: July 20, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
I just received a new to me John Schulz American Longbow.  68" long NTN, 64# @ 28" brown glass front and back, 5/8" reflex, very narrow limbs.  This bow is truly amazing to shoot.  The limb balance and tillering are like nothing I have shot before.  

Offline Jacquesbonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9708 on: July 20, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
Nick, thanks for the nod! I have had a stroke recently, it has changed my life but not my shooting. It doesn't seem to matter what bow and arrow combination I shoot. I adjust and can get it done. Thank "God" above for not taking my abilities away. I have lost the hearing in my left ear, have an inoperable aniorism in the nerve cluster to the ear. I sometimes cannot keep my balance, especially in low light, as I use my eyes stay upright,sometimes during the year are worst than others. I still can shoot and hunt. As yesterday I just had my 59th birthday and plan to have many more, so close to retirement. I don't want to loose what I have so
here's to the older generation may all of usbe heathy and happy! Later,Jacques

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9709 on: July 20, 2012, 05:05:00 PM »
"Jacques, I think I met you years ago at the Stockbridge shoot in Mass.Walter lucky and Byron Ferguson where shooting there that year.Guys,if I'm remembering the right guy,Jacques can shoot!!!"  Goshawkin

I've seen Jacques shoot 'for points' and yes he can clean your clock and re-set the time for you.  I remember a few years back at the Maine Poke N' Hope when he and Dan McMahon were in a shoot-off at day's end, Dan with his longbow and wood banana-fletched arrows, Jacques with his off-the-shelf Widow recurve (he gave his Hills the day off).  Even the kids class winners were shooting lights out on those shoot-off targets.  I have a video of it somewhere.  I think that's the only time I've ever seen DM completely miss a 3-D target, lol.  Of course, most of his other hits were 10's.  I believe he won the overall by only 1 point over JB.  Some great shooting by all the class winners that day, and good-natured kidding throughout.  Those are the kinds of shoots that I miss.

Offline cedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9710 on: July 20, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
Thought I would try to post a few pics of my new(to me)bow.  It was built this spring.  Fellow I bought it from said he wouldn't be shooting it so someone may as well.  As I posted before, it is a Wesley Special, cocabola riser, bamboo limbs,44@29, 70".            

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9711 on: July 21, 2012, 01:34:00 PM »
That's a nice lookin' Wesley, John!

I really like the contrast between a dark riser and light colored laminations.

Enjoy!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9712 on: July 21, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Owlmagnet:
'Nuther random question. Does anyone know if the Hill-style longbow that John Schultz uses in the video, "Hitting'em Like Howard Hill" was backset, straight, or string follow? It seems like the more I study that video, the more interested I am getting in the specifics of that bow....

Thanks,
Bob
David Miller showed me that video in February, when I visited him about my Expedition, which he is making. I had my Miller, "Old Tom" with me. David told me the bow Schultz used in the video, was the  bow he used as the model for his "Old Tom". So it's backset.
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9713 on: July 21, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
Hmmm, David's web site shows the Old Tom available as either string follow, straight, or back set.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9714 on: July 21, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »
FYI - The David Miller Old Tom that I owned was straight limbed - no backset.

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9715 on: July 21, 2012, 04:41:00 PM »
True.    ...
The "Old Tom", is indeed offered in three profiles, currently by Miller.
 But when David Miller told me my bow, was the same type bow Shultz uses in the video, I assume he meant it was a backset profile, as my bow is.
also,
Earlier Nate Steen(p643) in reply to the same question;
"I believe it was reflexed...he made the video in '87 and started stringfollow glass bows in '88 or '89 with the "Favorite"
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Offline tg2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9716 on: July 21, 2012, 05:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by tg2nd:

Originally posted by Owlmagnet:
'Nuther random question. Does anyone know if the Hill-style longbow that John Schultz uses in the video, "Hitting'em Like Howard Hill" was backset, straight, or string follow? It seems like the more I study that video, the more interested I am getting in the specifics of that bow....

Thanks,
Bob
According to David Miller it was a reflexed/backset Trophy Hunter 64", 64#@26", 14" riser, called "Old Tom".
If I remember right. [/b]
German by birth, Bavarian by the grace of god

Offline Jacquesbonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9717 on: July 21, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
Tony, that interesting, I hadn't thought of that shoot and Dan McMahon in a long time. By the way it was the other way around, I took the win by a point. Only cause Dan dropped a target. Man there was so much shooting the big shoots back then. It's not a competion if all the great shooters aren't there! I am sure there is an awfull lot of video out there of the big shoots, with Dan, Ben Bailey, Mark Sherman,Tasos Gravilis,Kevin Coleman, the Baker Brothers, and so many more. Dennis Sturgis,Qidort and so on and so on. Thanks for bringing back memmories of some great times! Later,Jacques

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9718 on: July 22, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
For those of you already starting to think about elk season (you know who you are!), here are some photos from this weekend's elk scouting trip.

The first photo show's a Hill bow in its native environment.

The second photo is from a high ridge I hiked to this morning. Derned trail was straight as an arrow, nary a switchback to be found. Straight up for 2,000 feet. The trail started at 6,000, way down there. I'm not sure which was worse, the climb up, or the slide back down. Still. . .the view made it all worth while.

Oh, and the elk tracks at the top were the icing on the cake, and just what I was looking for. The photo of the big bull track didn't turn out very well, but this one of a cow track will at least show you why I was climbing mountains like this on a 100+ degree day. There be elk there.

Six weeks and counting. . .

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9719 on: July 22, 2012, 05:21:00 PM »
Gents,

Can I ask if anyone has ever had a small, vertical crack develop in the glass of your bow at the front of your arrow shelf? Two of my bows have - and they were both made this year.

I emailed Craig Ekin about his and he said it happens from time to time but that the crack will stop on its own accord and the bow will be fine.

Just wondering if anyone can put my mind at rest here...

Thanks.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Users currently browsing this topic:

Arzack and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©