3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139124 times)

Online Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #9780 on: July 24, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
Are you saying that Ben had his post "fixed"?
Killdeer   :confused:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

« Reply #9781 on: July 24, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by David Mitchell:
Fired a blank there, Ben.   :D  
:p   ....or a blunt.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9782 on: July 24, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
Dave ... hahaha .. well actually .. mmm    :goldtooth:
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9783 on: July 24, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
I think they make a pill for that.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9784 on: July 24, 2012, 11:05:00 PM »
Whoa, go away for a few hours and this HH bug thing takes a left turn into oncoming traffic. Think I'll go    :archer2:
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

« Reply #9785 on: July 24, 2012, 11:59:00 PM »
Speaking of getting fixed, would a Miller built Cheetah from the Schulz design count for being longbow?  I am getting that go for it feeling.  My wife will get me fixed if I don't sell a bow or two to pay for it, I may have to part ways with my lefty Pete George and my Grooves Spitfire..

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9786 on: July 25, 2012, 12:15:00 AM »
Pavan ... sounds rather sweet !
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9787 on: July 25, 2012, 01:11:00 AM »
Pavan...why don't you just build your own?  I think you know how.

« Reply #9788 on: July 25, 2012, 02:07:00 AM »
I sold my tools to pay for an Oribe Classical guitar. The best I can do these days is tiller blanks.

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9789 on: July 25, 2012, 06:39:00 AM »
Jacques- great story, nice pics.  I think we need more of these on here too.  How did everyone else get introduced to Mr. Hill's style or adiction?

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9790 on: July 25, 2012, 07:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by toddster:
   How did everyone else get introduced to Mr. Hill's style or adiction?  How did everyone else get introduced to Mr. Hill's style or adiction?
A chapter in Aussie rifle hunting guru Col Allisons "The Trophy Hunters" featured a chapter called "Arrows for a Battlewagon" ... yep Swinehart vs the Rhino
... that story read to a young kid by his dad lit a fire that burns pretty solidly even today ... mix that with the very same kid being an uber Robin hood freak as a youngster , constantly watching Ol' Errol do battle with greedy Normans ... only to find out that the archery in this film was performed by Mr Swinehart's teacher ...

Mr Hill got himself an admirer for life.
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9791 on: July 25, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
Well, I want to add my two cents worth on the bow design issue as I have been mulling the direction this thread has taken of late.  I am not convinced that all the fine tweaking being discussed above makes much "noticeable" difference.  I have been around a long time and have shot most all of the good longbows of the "Hill style" and must say that I have as yet to pick one up that just blows my mind because it is soooo much better than anything else I have shot.  In fact, I haven't shot one that made me think it was considerably better than the others on my wall.  I too am most happy with my Craig built Hills, Northern Mists, Fred Andersons, Talons, ShrewHill, Dave Wallace, and Liberty.  I have also owned and/or shot Ron Maulding Bighorns, Robertsons, Schulz, Kramer, Great Northern, Abbot, Louis Armbruster Zebra, and a few more.  They all shot very nicely. I am convinced that most of these fine bowyers know how to build bows. My reason for saying this is that I would not like to see new comers to this thread think that there is something inferior about the fine longbows built by Howard Hill Archery (a sponsor on this site mainly due to this thread) or any of the others I have named.  I will gladly go in the woods with any of the above named bows and not feel as though I have less than I ought to have. My new Hill Owl of osage and bamboo shoots so sweetly and smoothly! Just my ruminations....ymmv. Peace!
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9792 on: July 25, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
Good post, David..

Like many other things in life, gaining that last 2 or 3% of goodness is often an expensive and elusive endeavor. Also something that will be appreciated by only a few and yearned for by many!

Offline Claymore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9793 on: July 25, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
I agree with David. I may not have two cents. But is seems in these last few pages that I have found myself feeling that my bows made by HH Archery are inferior somehow. Of course no one has said that but I get the feeling that there is an elitist group building around a few bow makers of which I cannot afford if I wanted one. Maybe I am wrong but I just fell this way and don't mean to step on anyone toes. But I have two fine, lovely bows from HH Archery and if I had the money would order from them without hesitation. They shoot much better than I can shoot and would bet they shoot better than anyone on here can shoot. I am very proud of my bows and I will continue to be. Just my two  cents no wait I have only one cent.
Don Dow 37@30
HH Cougar 38@30
Hoyt Excel 38@30

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9794 on: July 25, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
Nothing has been said against any longbowmaker recently...just trying to raise the bar, and get people to think about their longbow choices and what makes a good longbow and what to ask of their bowyer when they order a longbow instead of blindly following the masses.  Case in point...Craig hardly sold a string follow and didn't sell any carmelized bamboo longbows until discussions of this sort on traditional archery forums took place. So his business has benefitted, and there are many, many people now appreciative that discussions of this sort did take place over the last few years.

I'm sorry if being blunt steps on some toes, but that's the way it is as I see it.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9795 on: July 25, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »
Nate, on page 650 you made reference to "generic shooters" and "assembly line" bows.  My toes weren't stepped on but I believe someone's toes were and they are a sponsor here.  I do appreciate you and your contributions here.  Just commenting in the spirit of a brother of the bow.  :thumbsup:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9796 on: July 25, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
I do appreciate Nates comments and I suspect his thoughts and bows are among the very best, in that top 2 or 3% as I mentioned earlier.

I also appreciate the craftmanship of HHA and a host of other fine bowyers.. If time and money allows I would like to explore all of them!
Wonder what mamma is going to think of THAT !!!

Offline Claymore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9797 on: July 25, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
Sorry if I stepped on any toes Sunset. Just expressing a feeling as I see it.I know all of you mentioned here make wonderful, beautiful bows. But so does Craig. I won't say anymore just had to get it off my chest. I like all of you guys and appreciate the imput from each. I just bought David Miller's book on shooting the longbow and am enjoying it very much. There is much I have learned from all. I just bought a crossover glove and your talking about your work on the design was a big part in why I chose it. I guess I really don't know enough about all of it to even post. But lets keep the thread going because it is the best on the net.
Don Dow 37@30
HH Cougar 38@30
Hoyt Excel 38@30

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9798 on: July 25, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »
No feelings hurt here...but facts are facts...I like Craig immensly, always got along with him.  He puts out bows as quick as an assembly line...so does Bear.  Doesn't mean they are bad bows at all.  Just a different way of serving the longbow fraternity

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9799 on: July 25, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
Point well taken, Nate.  Now if you could just manage to bring a lefty Sunset Hill to the hog hunt, I bet there is more than one lefty who would love to try one.  :wavey:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Arzack and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©