3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139123 times)

Offline Basil_K

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #9800 on: July 25, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
Ha I'm still hoping a lefty sunset will go on the classifieds. Besides that I'm waiting patiently for the next what 3 years?

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9801 on: July 25, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
I bet there's a bunch of us that want one of Nate's bows !

In the meantime I'm shooting a HH bow and enjoying it quite a lot.. As of now it will be my "go to" bow for hunting this fall/winter.
It's already been successful in taking of one pig and I expect more to fall as well as a few deer...  Wishful thinking, maybe, but I have my sights set high..

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9802 on: July 25, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
I would like to see a tally of how many shooters have switched to Hillstyle longbows due to this thread or at least dusted off the ones in the closet and shoot them more often

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9803 on: July 25, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
Me

Offline Basil_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9804 on: July 25, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
Heck this is the thread that got me into archery in the first place.

Offline Rod Cam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9805 on: July 25, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »
ME

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9806 on: July 25, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
I think we should all add some photos of our favorites.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9807 on: July 25, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
This thread got me into shooting Hill bows and also got me shooting better and more often. The history, the pictures and the expert insight I find here keep me enthused! To be quite frank this is the only place I can come to find others who share my enthusiasm and offer me so much valuable adice.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9808 on: July 25, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »
Looper...bummer about your bow:(

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9809 on: July 25, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
Rod...you came out of retirement?  Ha ha

Offline NEB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9810 on: July 25, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
Gang,
I don't own a Hill style bow. I do own a reflexed D style bow and enjoy its simplicity. I have enjoyed reading this thread, and I want to express that I don't like where it is going. Mr. Hill obviously did a lot for the archery and bowhunting community and his preference for bow design has created a cult following. However, to suggest that a bow with his exact design specs are better than some others is just not good. Mr. Browning did not live to see the modern changes to his wonderful 1911 pistol, but I am sure he would have embraced them. Likewise, if a bowyer today makes slight modifications for whatever reason he wants, I am sure Mr. Hill would have embraced it. I think there are two types of people in this camp: 1) those who enjoy the simplicity and ambiance of an American flatbow; and 2) those who love all things Howard Hill. In the interest of traditional archery and more importantly bowhunting, I think both camps need to understand how to better get along. In the end, it is more important to grow and protect traditional bowhunting than it is to protect the design preference of a legendary bowhunter. Who knows, Howard may have used carbon and foam if he had access to it.

Finally, as you can see by my post count and registration date, I read more than I write. I am just calling this one how I see it, as an innocent bystander without a dog in the fight.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9811 on: July 25, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
Im not sure there are really two camps at all. Nate already commented that he and craig are good friends. They respect eachothers work. I have shot craigs bows and I currently own a schulz. I notice some differences but they are minimal. I think everyone agrees all of the bowyers mentioned are great. At this point its just a matter of taste. Some feel sunset hills are better, others hha, some millers, johnson, shulz, or even specific bows from one or the other. Theres no problem with having a preference.

I can see how some comments could be seen as incendiary, but not to the point of dividing the hill gang
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9812 on: July 25, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
With all this talk about what Howard shot I'm kinda wondering what he would be shooting today if he was alive and kicking at the age of 113? In 1960 the bows he was shooting progressed from what he was shooting in the 1920's. He's been gone since the year before I started kindergarden so I wonder what changes he would have made in his design over the last 35 years?

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9813 on: July 25, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
Back on pg. 638 Thom helped me post some pics of the bow given to me by my grandfather.  Some had asked for full length pics and riser thickness pics so here they are.  The first pic shows unstrung compared to my HHA bow I had made in 2003.  The older bow is on top, you can see the difference in amount of backset

This picture shows the bow strung.  I haven't strung it in many years and noticed the tiller seems to be off.  Look at the string distance from peg.  Top limb seems to have more bend.  Not sure if the bow was made that way or if that is a problem that had developed over time.?  Is it safe to shoot?

In this picture I am holding up a tape measure to try to show the riser thickness.

Still need to research to try to find the bowyer.  Grandpa said it was Howard Hill but he has since passed and I can't ask him how he knew that or even where he got the bow or if it was made specifically for him.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9814 on: July 25, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
Like I said before...these discussions make people think about their options in Hillstyle longbows and more informed people make more informed decisions about is best for them.  I am positive that without this thread and the sometimes heated/passionate discussions there would have been much Hillstyle shooting, bowmaking, and general info that would have been lost in the obscurity of people living quiet lives.  I have benefitted from it and I know others have also.  And I know the added Hillstyle longbow attention has increased business for all the builders of these bows as of late.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9815 on: July 25, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
Fling...that bow has the earmarks of a stotler built.   That much out of tiller probably isnt safe to shoot in regards to it's age

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9816 on: July 25, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
I think the heated discussions are great from time to time. They bring out peoples real opinions and their reasoning.
As a newer archer and an even newer Hill style bow addict I've learned quite a bit from this thread. Thanks to all for the great info, keep it coming. Now I have to go fling a few arrows...
  :archer2:

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9817 on: July 25, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
Wow Gary, you're a braver man than I stringing that bow! I can't recall, are you going to make it to the GLLI this year? Sounded like a few bowyers wanted to see it in person if they had a chance.
Thom

Offline Jacquesbonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9818 on: July 25, 2012, 03:46:00 PM »
Well Gang, I thought I would like to express the value of collective knowledge. As you all should know Howard as a young man shot a bow built for him by his dad. Now this first bow would be much like any starter bow for any yougster. With this bow a desire burned in Howard to continue shooting, then making and gathering information throuhout his life as an accomplished archer, he constantly gathered information, disguarded information, which he assesed what of no value to him! Now early years Howard shot and made the english style longbow, as evident of the influence of his years of experience shooting the english, you only have to hold one against the modern Hill style he developed by the 1950's. Same narrow limb, with the influence of the Wilson brother and the flat belly, and the addition of the Buchannon dip riser. None of these things were Howard's ideas! These are the results of years of keen observations and practical use, which drove the discision in the making of his greatest creation we all now so affectionately call the Hill longbow. Howard was nobody's fool, he knew what worked to his advantage and that's the bow we have today. I will go one step further, Howard never set another record after he applied glass to his bows! All the records he set were with selfbows, bamboo backed with rawhide, baleen,marcotta? not sure I speelled correctly, or any of the natural materials available. I am a firm believer that a self bow will teach you how to shoot it correctly. Example, shooting low, short drawing. ETC> So there it is for what it is worth.

By the way I believe the bow in the picture above is probably a Stotler built bow as Nate aluded to. The tiller on the older bows was close to a quater inch, which is correct! The measure ment is rougly at the fadeouts, the bottom limb will measure a quater inch less than the measurement at the fadeout at the top of riser. If you measure 10"s down from the top string grove and measure at a 90degree angle to the string the same measurement at the bottom limb should have a quater inch difference! Try it and I think you will be surprised, the bow should still be shootable. I gave a very good example of a early Hill 1959 to Steve Turray, looks the same. I also sent one out to James Quinn, 1957, they look exactly like the bow pictured above. Good luck and God bless us all, each and everyone of us. Thanks, Jacques

« Reply #9819 on: July 25, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »
I had a bamboo from Jerry hill that was about a quarter inch less to the bottom fadeout as well. It killed deer real good, until I had an accident with it and broke the bottom tip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Arzack and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©