3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 139016 times)

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #9900 on: July 28, 2012, 07:24:00 AM »
Rik,

Where do you chase the boars? Is it public land?  I'm always curious where to chase pigs, I've never hunted them and would have to travel to do it.   Seems like many of them are on pvt lands.  

Matt

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9901 on: July 28, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
Rik,

didn't you say you had a cow moose permit this year? since we're showing pics of longbow killed critters, not to get your blood pressure up or anything...

she was big enough that the taxidermist had to use a bull form to make the mount.  Hill style story....

She bluff charged me when I got withing range, then turned broadside and as I shot she took a step resulting in my arrow going through her back legs.  She took off on a fast trot and I ran after her as fast as I could. Eventually she stopped and looked back over her shoulder on an extreme angle....I pulled an arrow from the backquiver and shot in one fluid motion taking all of two seconds.  The arrow just missed the ham and angle up through the chest cavity and she was down in a hundred yards.  I will forever remember the arc of the arrow above my point on distance of 60 yards before it buried to the fletch in her side.

go get 'em Rik.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9902 on: July 28, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »
Man what a shot Nate! That would have been great on video.

:thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9903 on: July 28, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
Nice moose Nate!

I shot my first longbow whitetail last year in a similar manner - as I was walking back to my truck after the morning sit I looked up to see a buck facing me head on at 20 yards. I strung up an arrow and came to full draw without a tab on my fingers before letting loose - and shot just under his vitals.

Mr Buck decided he didn't like that very much so bean walking away at a near 90 degree angle. I grabbed another arrow, came to full daw and reminded myself of a nice strong follow through. Next thing you know the deer is off and running with my arrow buried in the vitals. Funny thing is the only part of the shot I recall is the resolve for a nice strong follow through.

Quite the day!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9904 on: July 28, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
Neat picture, Nate.  :thumbsup:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9905 on: July 28, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
Fine shooting Nate!

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9906 on: July 28, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »
Nice cow Nate!

You ate good that year!

Have a great 2012 hunting season!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9907 on: July 28, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
good for you Nate and Rossco

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9908 on: July 28, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
Nate, congratolations. Thats a good story and thanks for sharing the photo. Ron..

« Reply #9909 on: July 28, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
:archer:  cool!

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9910 on: July 28, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
A few pages back, a fella asked about the differences in the number of lams. Is less better than more? More better than less? Appreciate any info>
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9911 on: July 28, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
I honestly don't think there is that much difference.  I have a five lam Wesley Special and have three and four lam bows as well and if I were blindfolded and shot them I might be hard pressed to tell the difference.  Others may have different opinions but IF I had to give one the edge, it would be the five lam Wesley that I would pick as having a slight edge in smoothness of draw and shot.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Claymore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9912 on: July 28, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
The 5 lam Wesley is hard to beat.  I had a  fellow ask me the other day what I had I told him a HHA Wesley. He sad" I don't like those try stack."  O well.
Don Dow 37@30
HH Cougar 38@30
Hoyt Excel 38@30

« Reply #9913 on: July 28, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
Butch,
All things being equal, it seems to me that a limb core of less lams (thicker) of quality bamboo would be better - only due to the lack of glue.

I am looking at three bows now with similar limb thickness, two have three lams of bamboo and the third sports five (thinner)lams.  There has to be a point of no return somewhere...I enjoy all three but one of three lam bows is easily a better shooter than the other two...probably due mostly to design and not at all due to the number of lams.

I'd agree with Dave in that most folks would be hard pressed to realize the difference.

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9914 on: July 28, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
I have a Wesley Special, 5 lams of boo with black glass.  I also had HHA build me a bow with 2 cores of boo, 2 lams of Bocate, under clear glass.  They are about the same.  If I had to give one the edge it would be the Bocate bow.

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9915 on: July 28, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
Thanks folks. appreciate the responses.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9916 on: July 28, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
New question, or at least one that has not been discussed for a while.  Hunting season is getting close and I need an extra string so I can get it stretched and set up.  I want to buy a string for my 50# longbow.  I have been looking at SBD strings as they get good reviews.  They have a 6 or 8 strand string.  Anyone have an opinion?  Any other sting makers I should consider?

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9917 on: July 28, 2012, 11:31:00 PM »
I've had strings from both SBD and Oliverstacy. They produce very high quality strings, and either will make exactly what you want. Josh (Oliverstacy) will probably get one in your hands quicker.

Offline DWilhelm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9918 on: July 29, 2012, 06:04:00 AM »
Nice moose Nate!
I am planning a moose hunt next year and was wondering if you could give me the specs on the equipment you used on that moose.
I have a HHA bow blank that I finished last year based on the Big 5, and have been tweaking here and there with yours and others suggestions on improvements (ie: narrowing the limb tips and handle).  My bow draws 67# at my 28" and I am using surewood shafts (awesome arrows) which works out to be about 8.9 gpi with Zwickey eskimos up front.

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9919 on: July 29, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
Is Oliverstacy the name of the company?  Can't find it on the sponsor list.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Arzack and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©