3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 138981 times)

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #9940 on: July 30, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »
Sorry to change the subject....
Anyone here Kill a Mountain Lion with HH Bow.
    I have a Hand painted face of a Mountain Lion that is roughly 6"x6" and Im thinking of putting it on my version of a HH quiver.
    I guess what Im asking is anyone here who harvested a Mountain Lion interested in a Quiver like this....?
    Thank you all for your time and keeping this great thread alive....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Jacquesbonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9941 on: July 30, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
As for Hill heads. Try this one out. I have a bunch of the large heads I ordered from Craig years ago without the aluminum ferrule. I can sharpen the heads and get them razor sharp! Before sharpening, I enlarge the hole for the pin to accept the screw that goes through the Magnus Stinger to hold the blade in place. I simply swap the Magnus blade for the sharpened large HILL blade creating a 3to1 ratio 140 grain broadhead in the process. I use for wild boar, deer, whatever I am hunting and it works great. I haven't had any problems on game, however pracice and shooting stumps and such, I have bent a few. I can straighten them with no tools and little effort and continue on. I have always thought Hill would have made a change to the ferrule by now if he was still around. Later,Jacques

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9942 on: July 30, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »
thanks on the hill heads guys.  Jacquesbonin will try that.

Offline tomwatson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9943 on: July 30, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
Nate, quick question. I noticed in your post about the moose hunt that you talk about your point on distance of 60 yards. I have also heard John Schulz talk about this in his book as well. If a person shoots instinctive, how would they know what their "point on distance?" I have only heard this term used in Split Vision or Gap shooting.

Tom
“To chase game with the ghosts of other hunters from other times-that's all he really asks." - The Restless Spirit.

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9944 on: July 30, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Overspined:
For strings, search for oliverstacy as a handle, it's josh sowersby (spell?).  

NATE, come on, now is is the time to give your opinion about lam # and hill style bows!  You too Pavan.  Those who have played with it have an opinion.  I wish I could build bows and experiment...
He already did several pages back like 10+. Oh and so did Howard and Schulz.

Don't expect Nate to let "any more cats out of the bag" like he has previously and so generously done in the past. Frankly I can't blame him for the way he was treated recently!
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9945 on: July 30, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
Jacques,

Can you post a pic of those heads please?
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9946 on: July 30, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
double tap...sorry

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9947 on: July 30, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »
Jaques, what would be the difference between a 4 lamination Tembo and the Big Five--Hill's four lam bow?  I thought the difference in the models was number and type of laminations used, i.e., Tembo 3 lams of bamboo and BF four lams of bamboo.  Doesn't adding an additional lamination to the Tembo make it a Big Five?  Or am I missing something?
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9948 on: July 30, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
David, I think he was saying 4 lams on the back of the handle(Tembo) V.S. 4 lams, 3 on the back and 1 running up the belly of the handle (Big 5). He is suggesting that the lam running up the belly of the handle adds some stiffness toward the end of the draw, where all 4 on the back side  of the handle feels smoother at the end of the draw. Thats how I read it anyway.

Eric

Offline Jacquesbonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9949 on: July 30, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
Yes it would have been called a Big Five, however it still sports the lamination up the belly side of the riser. I used it as an example for the comparison of the what if question and these would be the basic differences in comparison. And by the way I have had Tembo's with 4 laminations in the past that were labeled "Tembo"these were made in the mid to late sixties. You must remember the many bowyers and their preferences as well built these bows and experimented a little. The truth of the matter is the Big Five with the 4 laminations and the Tembo with 3 laminations perform the best overall in my book. As mentioned in the previous post for me the handle makes the biggest noticeable difference in shooting.
Later,Jacques

Offline Jacquesbonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9950 on: July 30, 2012, 04:48:00 PM »
This is for Nate, the John Schults "Little Darling" arived this morning. I had the chance to shoot it after lunch. I pulled 2 arrows each from stock. 2018's 540grains,150 heritage carbons 490grains, 55-75 carbons 470 grain, all cut 27 BOH and 145 heads. The first arrow at 25 yards the 2018, on the money. the second arrow another 2018,Roin Hooded the first arrow! The others were in a tight group 1 inch low and 3/4 of an inch to the left. It must be the new bow syndrome. Mext bring out the woods, 65# spine 27to BOH and 145 grain heads 500 grains overal. The bow placed the arrows in a small 2 inch group at 20 yards and a 3 inch group at 25 yards. Hmmm, this seems to be a very effective tool for launching arrows. I think  the "little Darling" is going hunting with me this year!
Nate thanks so much for sending the bow out so promptly. Later, Jacques

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9951 on: July 30, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »
Congrats Jacque, sounds like a shooter!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9952 on: July 30, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
Jacques,

I told you the bow was a shooter,  if the handle was bigger it would have stayed out here.

but wait till you get the tembo...for me it shot even better.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9953 on: July 30, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
Hey Guys,

Looking at Jacque's comment about the shooting he was doing got me thinking about accuracy and consistency with the longbow.

I've been shooting longbows for 4 years now and after a ton of practice, research and self development I can hit an honest grouping of about 6-7 inches at 25 yards. Sometimes smaller but after shooting dozens of arrows in a session they'll all pretty much fall within a circle that size.

Given some of the great, experienced shooters that post on here I was wondering were others are at if for no other reason than having something to stive towards.

Bit of an odd question I know but I'm flying solo with my longbows up here and would love to hear what successes others are achieving.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9954 on: July 30, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rossco7002:

Bit of an odd question I know but I'm flying solo with my longbows up here and would love to hear what successes others are achieving.
Good days. Bad days. It's gray matter related for me.  :(

I had my old Bingham Hill Style longbow out a few days ago. Softball size groups at 20. The next day, not so good. Gray matter I tell ya....

Offline Basil_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9955 on: July 30, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
Hey Rossco!

Where in Canada are you from? I'm from Toronto and pretty alone here too!

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9956 on: July 30, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
To answer Rossco's question I would say you are doing above average, maybe well above average, keeping arrows in a consistent 6-7" group at 25 yards.  Like you I am a solo HH longbow shooter with nobody to gauge myself against.  I have shot my longbow off and on for 10-12 years and never really mastered it.  This year I decided to master it.  First I ordered a second HHA bow in a lower draw weight.  My first bow was too much.  Then I came across this thread.  I learned a ton a cleared up a bunch of issues.  Over the past couple months I got to the point where I was shooting accuracy levels you describe.  About 10 days ago I got into a slump and have been very speratic.  Where I was putting 9 out of 10 arrows in a 4" circle at 15-20 yards now I get 1 out of 3 with the other two arrows way off in some cases.  I am trying to figure it out and work thru it.  I think it is my aim and release.  I have started to notice the arrow is going exactly where I was aiming after release.  I use the term aiming loosely as I primarily focus on the spot I want to hit.  If I move up to 10 yards I start drilling the center of the target again.  Like you I wish I had somebody with a longbow to shoot with.  If any of you reading this are in Granbury, TX shoot me a PM.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9957 on: July 30, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
Brazos... Since you've been at it a while, my first guess would be that your form is breaking down somewhere.
Put away the target for a bit and focus on form... your accuracy will come back.
   :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9958 on: July 30, 2012, 11:59:00 PM »
Here are a couple of my thoughts on the question regarding number of lams in a longbow.

For close to 30 years I've made Hill style bows with 4 lams. Mostly because my favorite Hill Big Five has 4.

I made a 5 lam bow ala the Wesley Spec. due to the accolades it always receives. I reasoned that it's supposed performance was due to the thinner lams incorporating more of the power fibers of the bamboo. I could see no real difference over my old bows with 4 lams.

Recently I made a 3 lam bow and have been very impressed by its performance. Unless something changes in the performance of future bows I'll be saving the time and money of the fourth or fifth lam and will stick with 3.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9959 on: July 31, 2012, 12:30:00 AM »
Hhhmmmm Charlie...what do you know about that.  Less might be more.   ;)

I can get Hill bh's really sharp and they really hold up well in animals if they stay in them....mine usually zip on thru.  Real good on bone too.  But my alltime favs beside Zwickeys are the Hunter Heads...such a great head...my supply is a cherished thing....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©