3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Surewood Shafts  (Read 798 times)

Offline old bucky

• Trad Bowhunter
Surewood Shafts
« on: March 03, 2016, 10:46:00 AM »
I get all my wood shafts from them, ordered some of the 9.5" tapered shafts, and they fly great, seem to be a more forgiving arrow than the parallel shafts, anyway Surewood Shafts are great.

Sam

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Surewood Shafts
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 12:43:00 PM »
I got to meet them at a shoot in Colorado and they are really great guys.  While there, I bought a bunch of unweighted utility shafts for me and a couple of friends back home. I weighed and divided them into three different groups, keeping one group for myself.  These shafts were really nice, better than most premium shafts.  I had just planned on using them on small game but ended up getting all my deer with them.  I took three deer with one arrow before breaking it. Definitely tougher than cedar.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 07:23:00 PM »
Surewoods are awesome.  If there is a better quality shaft out there I don't know about it.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 07:25:00 PM »
Agree with the others.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 10:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Braveheart Archery:
Surewoods are awesome.  If there is a better quality shaft out there I don't know about it.
Exactly.  All I hunt with is Surewood Shafts.  I see absolutely no reason to shoot any other type of wood.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 10:27:00 PM »
They are my go to supplier.  My experience, some of the others are almost as good , but not as consistent.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 12:33:00 AM »
I just built my first dozen arrows based on Surewood's premium tapered shafts.  Have not shot them yet, but the shafts themselves were the finest quality I've seen.  I'll definitely be ordering more.
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 01:08:00 AM »
Best stuff I have used.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 06:10:00 PM »
Definitely my #1 supplier, excellent quality, fast shipping and reasonable pricing. They fly perfectly and stay straight, only very slight straightening is required!
Randy
CTA RedStag LB 64" ntn 57# @ 28"
Hickory SB (#2) 64" ntn 43# @ 28"
Hickory East Woodland SB 65# @ 27"
Darkside Laminated LB 50# @ 28"
Darkside Laminated LB 37# @ 28"

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 06:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by RedStag5728:
Definitely my #1 supplier, excellent quality, fast shipping and reasonable pricing. They fly perfectly and stay straight, only very slight straightening is required!
Ditto all this... We've been loving ours.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 06:43:00 PM »
My first choice. A couple other suppliers also make excellent shafts, but they don't quite match Surewood's customer service, in my experience (several dozen sets in the last few years).

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 07:04:00 PM »
I have had nothing but good from them.  Good product, good service, good folks to talk to.

The few purchases I made ( hmmm, three times at a dozen each ?) not one of the shafts I received did not make a hunting arrow.  Most times I don't even need to straighten anything before fletching.

I most certainly recommend them.
ChuckC

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 10:28:00 AM »
I have shot many different shafts over the years and his shafts show the  attention to detail that make good arrows
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 01:46:00 PM »
Very consistent. I have 75-80's from many different batches and they all shoot the same. I know exactly what to expect.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 02:27:00 PM »
Perhaps it is just my particular specs, but I get get perfect flight out of 55-60 Surewoods out of three of my bows, while 55-60 tapered cedars are too stiff and those same bows require 52 to 54 pound spine in a tapered cedar with the same head to get perfect flight.  There has to be a mechanical reason, like the Surewoods maybe have a slightly slower recovery rate at the 27" bop or the bit of extra weight causes the bows to be more efficient.  What ever it is makes no difference, but I have noticed that a straight flying Surewood does not slow down much when it hits a deer with a two blade broad head.

Offline styksnstryngs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »
they're the bestest

Offline styksnstryngs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2016, 09:30:00 PM »
they're the bestest

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 12:34:00 PM »
Hardwoods will give you a heavier, tougher arrow, but for a general use and hunting arrow, the Douglas Fir shafts are really an excellent shaft, especially for those who don't care for cedar. For me, they have proven to be a fast and pretty tough shaft. In the years that Surewood has been around, I have not read or heard one bad thing about them or their product. Keep up the good work guys!
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2016, 02:36:00 PM »
Interesting, Pavan.

I have wondered about that.  So in your experience, a 60/65 Sitka Spruce would shoot much differently than a 60/65 Surewood ?
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2016, 03:14:00 PM »
I am not sure, something does act different for me and my bows when I am pushing my luck on the stiff side of things.   It is only a guess on my part whether it is the slight amount of arrow weight increase or the recovery rates.   I can add that years ago, I had Rogue River pick out out some really heavy 11/32 cedars 70-75 spine, super shafts.  They were tougher and flew perfect out of a bow that normally shot 65 pound spine best.  I thought maybe I was wrong, so I ordered some average weight 70-75s and they were not as good, but had someone with a longer draw than me that they were perfect for.  It must not be confused when I say 'not as good', because I am really splitting hairs with absolutely flawless and virtually perfect.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©