3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: checkering vs stippling  (Read 901 times)

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: checkering vs stippling
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2016, 04:03:00 PM »
prefer stippling don't like the feel of checkering, I do like the looks though. Above all else I like a thin smooth leather grip.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2016, 04:45:00 PM »
Not the best picture but this is my Hoots recurve and he Stippled it and has a Moose antler. Feels really good in the hand. I never had a checkered grip but this was my first stippled recurve.I sent a few pics to 1/4 Away and maybe he can post a few better pics for me of the stippled grip.

Offline Paul Cousineau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2016, 05:26:00 PM »
I didn't really think that the stippling on the bow I had added much traction. Certainly less than the checking on my rifles. Since I thick checkering looks better, it's a win-win for me.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feast on the riches of the hunt. -Proverbs 12:27

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2016, 06:22:00 PM »
I didn't know Blacktails had checkering.  Ive only seen stippling.  I know I sent a bow to Norm for a refinish and checkering.  I got stippling.

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2016, 06:31:00 PM »
Kory Kais from Milwaukee are does an awesome job of stippling.
Irv Eichorst

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2016, 06:41:00 PM »
Here's the pics Keefer wanted posted

Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2016, 07:47:00 PM »
Now that stippling looks better than a lot of more basic checkering panels to me.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2016, 09:14:00 PM »
The grip on my Centaur is stippled and I really like it.
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2016, 04:51:00 AM »
Thank you Fred for posting those picctures which show it much better.
Now Garrett the bow stippling with the Moose antler was the first "Moose Antler" stipple Lee Hoots ever did. He has done many deer antler stippling and when I asked about Moose antler he first drew it out and showed me the riser before he ever began and I said "Go for it" and it turned out great.
 I call that bow my "Chocolate Moose" because it is a really dark Brown Ziricote riser with Olive Ash Burl limb veneer's and moose antler overlays and tips.
 The reason I took that picture that 1/4Away put up for me is because that bow has a Scripture reading on it "Psalms 127 v3-5 and several years ago I had Art Vincent make me a side quiver and he carved Two arrows(need three now) and I asked if he could carve little lady bugs crawling on the arrows and he did. My girls were all adopted and the Ladybug is a little symbol used from that country when children are adopted.
 I thought this was a little "God wink" from above when I saw this ladybug hitching a ride on my Hoots recurve and snapped the picture with my iphone.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2016, 07:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by Keefer:
Thank you Fred for posting those picctures which show it much better.
Now Garrett the bow stippling with the Moose antler was the first "Moose Antler" stipple Lee Hoots ever did. He has done many deer antler stippling and when I asked about Moose antler he first drew it out and showed me the riser before he ever began and I said "Go for it" and it turned out great.
 I call that bow my "Chocolate Moose" because it is a really dark Brown Ziricote riser with Olive Ash Burl limb veneer's and moose antler overlays and tips.
 The reason I took that picture that 1/4Away put up for me is because that bow has a Scripture reading on it "Psalms 127 v3-5 and several years ago I had Art Vincent make me a side quiver and he carved Two arrows(need three now) and I asked if he could carve little lady bugs crawling on the arrows and he did. My girls were all adopted and the Ladybug is a little symbol used from that country when children are adopted.
 I thought this was a little "God wink" from above when I saw this ladybug hitching a ride on my Hoots recurve and snapped the picture with my iphone.
Well that's certainly a cool back-story to the photo!
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2016, 07:21:00 PM »
I voted checkering but the only one I've ever seen was my Schafer. It was great feeling and looking.

However, it was a close call for me. I also love the stippling on my Blacktails. Makes me think though. If (when?) I buy another Blacktail maybe I'll forego the stippling and have it checkered by the fine fellow in Montana. Or maybe Norm at Blacktail does it too?

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2016, 09:31:00 PM »
I don't like the feel of either, but I voted checkering because that is what I would pick if I had to have one or the other. Checkering looks soooooooooo much better and more professional.

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©