3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String trackers  (Read 1211 times)

Offline Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
String trackers
« on: March 08, 2016, 10:08:00 AM »
I am new to tradgang and just wanted to say that this is a great site! My question is on string trackers. I've read curt Cabrera's article on setting them up and read many stories where people have used them but was wondering what everyone's opinions on them were? Pros and cons. Thanks Nick
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String trackers
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 10:22:00 AM »
Nick,

I think you'll find a wide variety of answers here, but, in my opinion, it all boils down to how you hunt and what you hunt.  For instance, if you are a spot and stalk guy, a string tracker isn't really an option.  If you're a guy who hunts from a blind/strand all the time, it wouldn't be a problem.  

It also depends on what you're hunting.  for instance, hunting animals that have low success rates with less due to minimal blood being lost after the shot(turkey or hog), I would be more inclined to use one of them.   I have not had much luck with turkeys, but I have had a decent amount of contact with hogs.  Even when you shoot them in the right place with a big rifle, it doesn't guarantee a good blood trail.  

With something like a whitetail, I don't think they're as necessary, but I do believe they have a lot of added GOOD qualities about them.  

Sorry for throwing the kitchen sink at you.  

If you're wanting to try one out, check out chad Orde's.  He makes some beauts!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 11:30:00 AM »
Thanks for all the info! Guess I should've put that I was solely looking at hunting turkeys with a blind. Will be first time trying with recurve and want to get all my ducks in a row before I do. You wrote you hadn't had much success on turkeys. Did yu mean in general or with string trackers?
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 11:44:00 AM »
in general.. never had a shot at one with a trad bow..

from my readings, I will NEVER hunt a turkey without using a tracker!  I just can't see them bleeding much and they have a pretty small kill zone in comparison to other game we chase.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 11:47:00 AM »
Kinda my thinking too cause the one I killed with a compound ran into some thick brush about 80 yards away and I almost didn't find him!!!
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 11:52:00 AM »
I use my tracker EVERY time I'm sitting a stand or just sitting on the ground (blind or trail).
I don't use it If I'm doing spot and stalk. Try it and you'll understand why! Lol
The first time you take an animal with a tracker will make a believer out of you!
Ps.. I've never shot a turkey. Never hunted them
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 11:57:00 AM »
That's cause turkeys are smarter than you are critter...   :)

Offline Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 11:58:00 AM »
I've read that you don't want to use the 17 lb line and should use 30 but where do you get it?
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 01:15:00 PM »
Roy, don't make me got the hose!!!
I've only used the 17# line. With the 30 you only get about half the length of the 17 but it is stronger. So it's a personal preference. I've never had one break but my wife has.
She got a pass thru on a 125# sow in thick brush and the string got tangled on both side when the hog spun to run. But she only went about 40 yrds.
I'm sure someone will be along that has used both with the pros and cons of each.
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 01:26:00 PM »
I would like to try one.  

I was at the Black Widow factory a few weeks ago, and Roger had one of Chad Orde's on his bow.  It looked awesome!  I would love to try one out on a gobbler this spring.

Can anyone chime in about arrow flight with them?
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline CHENRYIV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 01:46:00 PM »
I've had good flight out of mine, out to about 20 yards. You do need to pull out a good bit of string, so it doesn't bind up. Used them on both of turkey last year with great results. Chad makes a not only beautiful, but functional tracker also.  I used it on my HH longbow and on my BW PSR with wood arrow shafts.

The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and he bends with his might that his >>--> may go swift and far.

Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 02:07:00 PM »
CHENRY1V, Those are some beautiful birds! What poundage were you shooting and we're you hunting in blind? And did you have any problem with the extra line you pulled outtangling up?
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 03:11:00 PM »
Very nice, Crispin.

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 04:27:00 PM »
What is the best way to attach string to the arrow and what is the procedure for shooting with one(pull slack out first)?
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 04:29:00 PM »
sorry
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline CHENRYIV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Buckeye1977:
CHENRY1V, Those are some beautiful birds! What poundage were you shooting and we're you hunting in blind? And did you have any problem with the extra line you pulled outtangling up?
Buckeye1977,  the hill is a 60# at 28", I draw it at about 51#. I shot the bird with a Simmons Tiger shark & a 500gr arrow with no problem. The PSR is 48# at my draw. Shot that bird with a Grizzly instinct on a Surewood shaft about 550gr. Devastating wound.  As far as the extra line goes,  upon impact a good bit of line will impact the bird, so you don't get any tangling from the bow. Jerry Russell of Russell outdoors guides has a great video on YouTube showing the tracker in use.

The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and he bends with his might that his >>--> may go swift and far.

Offline CHENRYIV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 06:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by mec lineman:
What is the best way to attach string to the arrow and what is the procedure for shooting with one(pull slack out first)?
Lineman, with screw on broadheads, you can just do 3 or 4 loops around the threads and tighten the broadhead, with a wood shaft, I use a strip of loop side of Velcro and wrap the string around several times after tying a knot.

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 06:24:00 PM »
Jerry Russell has a good video on how to set one up, and use it.

I'm not good with the search function here but someone can help you find it.

Chad is the man for a good looking, tough and functional string tracker, and I believe he has 30# line on order.
Irv Eichorst

Offline CHENRYIV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2016, 06:30:00 PM »
I placed a link in the post above.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2016, 06:46:00 PM »
Crispin when you said pull out a good bit of string can you elaborate on the link the string looked like not much was pulled but it was a deer if that matters.I will be Turkey hunting at the end of the month and I have a tracker but never used  other than a couple times in yard.Thanks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©