3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone ever do an internet shoot?  (Read 672 times)

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone ever do an internet shoot?
« on: March 08, 2016, 02:52:00 PM »
So I was cruising through the various facebook trad archery pages last night as I waiting for my youngest son to punch himself out enough lay in bed, and I came across what seemed like a pretty interesting idea. There was one guy on a page (I don't even remember the page, I haven't been to it too often), but he was drumming up any interest in a sort of virtual shoot. If you haven't heard of the idea (and I hadn't until last night) I guess the idea is that everyone has the entire first week of each month to take their 3 shots in their own yard, range, etc. There's a standard 40 cm(?) target, and from 20 yards. Then they post the pictures of their group to the page. Apparently, the pure meaninglessness of it all (since there's no prizes outside of bragging rights and a good time), keeps everyone honest. In the end, if you cheated, what did you accomplish anyway? Sounded like an interesting idea. We have a group here that does a similar kayak bass fishing facebook tourney each month where you have "x" number days to catch your top 3 biggest fish, take a pic of the measuring trough and send them in, except the winner gets some lures or something. I'm just wondering if this idea has been around, or if it's being done elsewhere? If so, thoughts?

p.s.- I know, I know, *insert usual rant about the internet, smart phones, and technology in general*, I'm not trying to create a generational show-down here, just wondering if I'm late to the party and this idea is already out there.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone ever do an internet shoot?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 03:18:00 PM »
Yes, its been done in varying forms on this forum.

If you want to start it up, I'm in.     :bigsmyl:

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 03:23:00 PM »
Oh it's been done here on tradgang? Let me look in the archives and see how it went down, if it's something that generates some interest maybe we can do something. I think it'd be neat, I'd never win but that's ok, it'd be cool to see peoples shooting and gear and stuff.
 "To the archives!"
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline trick00

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 03:43:00 PM »
Do a search on pow wow for tradgang fun shoot.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 03:51:00 PM »
It is usually well attended.
A lot of work for the person or persons keeping track of scores etc.
Some will sign up but never find time to shoot. So it slows down.
The over all shoot was fun.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »
Yeah, I were to spearhead one I'd have to put a little thought into a semi-simple way to enter shooters and scores. I have been to exactly zero shoots before so if there's some baseline knowledge involved, I'm lacking it. Who knows, a cool idea, I hope it takes off again.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 06:24:00 PM »
Yep it's been done on Tradgang many times...

have at it...
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 06:37:00 PM »
Haha Mr. Green, the "have at it.." seems loaded with caution and apprehension. Mayhaps I'll just let sleeping dogs lie.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 07:31:00 PM »
no sir....just giving you the green light....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 07:56:00 PM »
I'd want to participate.  Sounds like fun.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 08:03:00 PM »
Ok, I'm just going to do it. Detail in a thread to follow.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Possumjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 09:51:00 PM »
I'm in!

Offline H1tman7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 10:02:00 PM »
Sounds fun to me! Ideally the target could be printed in standard paper... Food for thought.

Offline Dogboy900

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 02:02:00 AM »
Yeah I have participated in the Fun Shoot before on here. It was fun. The winner each week got to select the shots for the next week (I was never even close to picking the shots!). Distances varied from 10 yards, out to 20 I think, and the shot could be kneeling, feet facing away, leaning out, in fact anything you might encounter while hunting. Also they got to specify if it was from cold or if you could do some warm up shots.

I would be keen if you start one up  :)

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 05:45:00 AM »
all, I started the shoot thread, feel free to read it over. I kept it pretty simple and easy for anyone to build the target in their own home. There should be no issue making the target.

I saw the old shoot thread and that looked like a good idea. We can look at the winner changing the variables in the future or just keep it rolling and take suggestions. I don't want to alter too much to where people dont feel like theyll even be competitive enough to try it. We'll do this coming one (first week of april) and go from there.

People on tradgang do so much for others i.e. st Judes, TGMM, Noah, etc. that this is just my own meager offering to the community that certainly pales in comparison to other endeavors, but all the same; the goal is just fun and playful competition and community bonding, nothing more. In the end peoples total commitment is a piece of paper and uploading a photo, we'll see where the trad-winds take us!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 06:44:00 AM »
CAV: In the days before all these fancy electronic gizomo's that we use nowadays they used to have mail in shoots.  That was back in the late 50's and early 60's.  So your idea has been around a bit. Good I idea and have some fun.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 09:23:00 AM »
I've often thought it would be fun to have an actual TradGang shoot.  This would likely not be possible, due to the distances involved.  Local TradGang shoots would be a possibility in some areas of the country where there are enough members, but out here, we barely have enough trad shooters to justify a trad only tournament of any kind, let alone one just composed of TradGang members.

So perhaps the next best thing is would be an internet shoot, which could start up along the lines you're talking about.  I'm not enough of a techie to know what I'm talking about, but I'll bet if it doesn't exist now, it will soon be possible to connect people up in a way to make this happen in real time video.  I know people are already doing this for meetings in offices, where some of the people are on site and the others are connected in to the meeting via monitors, so everyone at the meeting can see and hear what is going on, whether they are in New York or Houston.

What I'm thinking is that the first level of an internet tournament could be held along the lines you are thinking about, sending in scores on the honor system.   Then maybe the top four shooters in that could be connected up in a live network so there could be an actual shootout in real time, although the shooters would be located in different parts of the country.  Then the shooters could enjoy an actual competition among each other, and it might be possible for others to see as well.

Does anyone know if this kind of thing is possible in today's technology using iPhone videos, FaceTime or something short of hiring an actual TV camera crew?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 09:38:00 AM »
Don't know about an internet shoot, but I shot my old computer once !
ChuckC

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 09:33:00 PM »
I have done it, and it is fun!

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©