3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: American Saxon Longbow  (Read 803 times)

Offline catman1

• Trad Bowhunter
American Saxon Longbow
« on: March 08, 2016, 10:47:00 PM »
I just picked up one from a older gentleman (original owner) in a 64" 55# @28 it shoots great.
Anybody else got one, just looking for some feed back on what arrows and weight up front your shooting out of yours?
Odds are with the prepared..

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: American Saxon Longbow
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 05:51:00 PM »
I had a saxon mongoose and a saxon american longbow. Both shot great and I wish I still had them. The mongoose was a little smoother than the american. They were both 64" 55#@28". I used 60# spined arrows. My draw legth is 28" I cut the arrows at 28.5" and used 125gr heads. No quiver on the bow and I used a shooting tab. If I had to recommend a long bow, it would be a saxon. BUT, I haven't owned that many longbows. Shot quite a few but I think you need to shoot one on a regular basis to really know.

Offline catman1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 06:50:00 PM »
The one I got is a tack driver using GT 3555 hunters 500 spines cut 29 1/2" to the nock with 5" shields with 125gr points and 12.8 inserts. Nothing fancy, but it looks like it's going to be a great hunting bow, and smooth as silk.

Offline catman1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 11:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by kill shot:
I had a saxon mongoose and a saxon american longbow. Both shot great and I wish I still had them. The mongoose was a little smoother than the american. They were both 64" 55#@28". I used 60# spined arrows. My draw legth is 28" I cut the arrows at 28.5" and used 125gr heads. No quiver on the bow and I used a shooting tab. If I had to recommend a long bow, it would be a saxon. BUT, I haven't owned that many longbows. Shot quite a few but I think you need to shoot one on a regular basis to really know.
What brace length did you settle on with your Saxon American longbow, if I may ask?

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 12:25:00 PM »
Identical bow was my first trad bow.  I shot it well and killed my first trad deer with it.  7.25" was my brace.  You can't hurt those bows.
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Offline catman1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 02:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by shedhunta:
Identical bow was my first trad bow.  I shot it well and killed my first trad deer with it.  7.25" was my brace.  You can't hurt those bows.
Thanks, That's where I'm at 7.25"

Offline Caboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 12:02:00 AM »
I have a 64" 50#@28" American longbow. Love it! Great shooter.. I use 3555 GT's cut to 29" and 125 grain points. I made a 9 strand Rhino string with built up loops and nocking area.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©