3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Moose weight  (Read 913 times)

Re: Moose weight
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2016, 02:41:00 PM »
BW I understood exactly what you meant.  With his weight and draw, his only real consideration for equipment choice is which broadhead. Way back in the 60s Howard  Gilean (spelling?) in his monthly archery article wrote about a moose hunting camp.  Bows from the mid forties to mid fifties were used.  If I remember right, some of the lower weight bows were very effective.  I crossed paths with a fellow on a Canadian canoe trip that killed a moose with about a 55@26 self bow with obsidian heads.  He said the first shot at about 12 meters hit a rib and broke up the head, the second one did not hit any ribs and went straight through.  "Look at pics here, it's a big one aye."  It was aye big one and shot from a canoe.

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2016, 05:53:00 PM »
I don't consider asking about others experiences, in order to better understand my own equipment, as being insecure. I asked who had shot an ak/Yukon moose with a trad bow, what their set up was, and what kind of penetration they got. Not if you deemed me worthy of being concerned about bow weight/performance, or being interested in knowing what others have used.

If you haven't killed one, the only way you can truly know what will work is from what other people tell you.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 07:47:00 AM »
55# at 28" is my personal minimum in a moose bow, and my arrow will usually be 750+ gr. I recommend a 2-blade coc head and I happen to use a single-bevel 250 gr. I'm not big on touting any success I've had, but will say every AK-YK bull I've killed has run off to die with 2 holes.

The biggest and baddest bow/arrow combo won't compensate for lack of accuracy. Shoot a solid rig and hit accurately...they will go down.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016, 11:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by BWallace10327:
I doubt your set up will work if you have so little confidence in it.
Really.
T ZZZZ

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 07:46:00 AM »
Really.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2016, 05:36:00 PM »
Sharp broadhead, heavy well tuned arrow is the key.     :campfire:      :coffee:   I would probably shoot them with the same thing I use for squirrel.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline J.T.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2016, 06:32:00 PM »
Dad shot his Alaska bull with a 55 lb @30 horn longbow 2315 xx75 with a big wide zeypher sasquatch up front broadhead was poking out the far side bull went 50 yards
70" [email protected] Northern Mist Classic
70" 73@32 Northern Mist Whitbeck

Michigan Longbow association

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2016, 03:09:00 PM »
I agree with Brent.  U have to have confidence in yourself and your equipment when you draw back and anchor at that bull.  Your mind has to be clear of any doubt of any kind.

So do your research like youre doing and be confident in what u hunt with.

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2016, 01:18:00 AM »
5 moose taken....all Canadian moose not Alaskan
should not be any different...they are bigger but body wise.. not much wider...still go down the same  

results

...65# hill longbow for 2 moose (fir arrows about 600 grains ),
61# longbow R/D with 650 grain laminated birch shaft for one, 63# recurve with 630 grain carbon for another and lastly 55# Recurve with 630 grain carbon.....all moose were shot with two blade broadhead with either zwicky,magnus, or eclipse
*****should note my draw is 26 inches***...your draw as long as it is should be fine with the bow you mentioned....
I have a friend who shot several moose with a 52# Hill style bow with wood arrows and had no problem..600 plus grain arrows...two blade

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2016, 01:47:00 AM »
I was mistaken on my last moose...it was 53# bow..with 26" draw...630 grain (total weight including insert and broadhead)  carbon arrow with eclipse 145 grain two blade with 100 grain insert...penetration was stopped on the far side shoulder,,but deflected off bone and the point of the arrow was pushing out on the hide on the far side ...shot was at 30 yards while moose was walking..moose went less than 100 yards..

In my opinion your set up is more than enough.

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2016, 02:50:00 AM »
I've taken a couple with the recurve. My first was when I was a pretty new bow hunter , used a Chekmate recurve about 50@29, arrows were too light, don't no the weight but they were 30" 2114s with 145 grn bear two blades, sharp but not sharp enough. Two arrows one perfect behind the shoulder, both with poor penetration maybe 10"s got lucky and hit a major artery .
moose number two I shot with a Chekmate Hunter 58lbs , cx heritage 250 , with a sharp Magnus two blade, about 600grn arrow. Shot at 7 yd broadside and got a complete pass threw

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2016, 09:23:00 PM »
Got notification the other day that I should have the bow back Monday. We'll see how the widow boys did. Gonna break it in on turkeys in a couple of weeks.

Thanks to those who helped me out.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©