3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tell me about CTAS High Country Shoot  (Read 491 times)

Offline Bryan pinick

• Trad Bowhunter
Tell me about CTAS High Country Shoot
« on: March 09, 2016, 07:47:00 PM »
Looking to attend this year!

1) Camping (tent)on site?

2) Is there a place to get a shower in a camp ground somewhere close?

3) Is there an opportunity to fly fish nearby?

4) Food/bow vendors etc.

Just trying to get an idea of how/what to bring. Past threads say bug spray is necessary....got that in the camp box.
   :campfire:  
Thanks!

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tell me about CTAS High Country Shoot
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 07:52:00 PM »
Good questions.  I will be there this year!

Offline Jimscol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 08:25:00 PM »
Bryan:  camping can be anything from a tent to a motor home.   All camping is primitive.  The shoot is in the Flattops at about 9500 ft in elevation.  The forest service permit is due to be renewed this year so we are hoping to get the same location but it is not certain right now.   The nearest campground with showers is probably at the State Park at Rifle Gap reservoir.  It is at least a 30 minute drive one way.   It is easier to take a solar shower and a tarp for a makeshift enclosure.

The closest good fly fishing is in the Glenwood Springs area.  There is a lake within about 10 miles of the shoot site.   You could also go down the mountain on the North side and fish the White River.  There are public access points there.  Others may know more about the fly fishing.

Food is available at breakfast and lunch.  They usually service ham, eggs, pancakes for breakfast and burgers and hot dogs for lunch.  There is a free chili dinner on Sat. night.   You have to fend for yourself for Thurs & Fri dinner.  

There have been quite a few vendors in the past couple of years.  Black Widow was there last year.  There are usually 2 or 3 vendors that sell a pretty large variety of trad archery supplies,  feathers, arrows, etc.  Haven't seen a list for this year.  There is also a trading blanket on Friday PM.  It keeps getting bigger each year.  Jim

Offline Bryan pinick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 09:17:00 PM »
Sounding great!

Offline Shane H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 09:20:00 PM »
one of the best shoots out there! great location, great people. And the fishing will depend on run-off. Colorado river, roaring fork and frying pan are within an hour. Have fun!

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 09:23:00 PM »
I have always wanted to go to this shoot. What are the dates?

Bisch

Offline Jimscol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 09:45:00 PM »
June 24-26.  Come on Thursday the 23rd & get a primo camp site,  help set up the courses, get to shoot early & free lunch.  Pre-registration here:

www.colotradarchers.com

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 10:18:00 PM »
All rinehart targets, 6 great ranges, novelty shoots, vendors, raffles and tons of fun.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 10:30:00 PM »
I am wanting to come this year too. Jim as soon as things get settled on the exact location please let us know. My wife is coming too and that means we will be pulling a 5th wheel trailer. If you will let us know that getting a trailer in is no problem I'd appreciate it.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 10:38:00 PM »
Ben, no problem getting a 5th wheel trailer in there  (at least last year's location).  We pulled our 24' travel trailer up last year.  By far my favorite shoot I have ever been to.  The wife was even making plans to attend again before we left!

Offline Jimscol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 10:42:00 PM »
Ben:  5th wheel trailers are not a problem.  The main road going up the mountain is steep in spots so you just have to go slow.  There are always plenty of 5th wheel trailers, regular trailers and motor homes of all sizes.  Hopefully the location may only change by a few miles, if at all.   There is a map on the web site.   Looking forward to meeting you as I deer hunt not far from you.   Jim

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 10:58:00 PM »
Barring no disasters, I'll be there with BCY and great deals on string material, serving, wax, etc.  This will be my first time there--really looking forward to it!

Chad

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 11:17:00 PM »
Thanks guys, Hermon I knew you said you had good room last year getting in and out. I'll go early to visit another friend out there anyway. When Jim said they might change location it just threw up a flag. Sent you a pm Jim.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline BigTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 05:36:00 AM »
Looking forward to the Shoot!

Offline Bryan pinick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 06:56:00 AM »
From the limited photos from past threads, it looks amazing. Thanks for the info.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 07:33:00 AM »
I hope to be there for the second time.
This can tell you something about the event looking how many miles I have to swim through the Big pond     :biglaugh:
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 07:41:00 AM »
I've been to most of the big shoots in the country at one time or another.   Last year was my first High Country and it is the best of the best!  
I may not make it this year but I definitely will be back.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 07:41:00 AM »
I've been to most of the big shoots in the country at one time or another.   Last year was my first High Country and it is the best of the best!  
I may not make it this year but I definitely will be back.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 09:24:00 AM »
I went two years ago and it was my first all trad event. I think there was more trad folks at that shoot then people in WY   :D . It was a great time and my wife and I are planning on taking our trailer this year. O and bring some cash it is over an hour round trip to an ATM, and there are lots of goodies to buy.

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
They had over 500 register last year. I've been to a lot of 3D shoots and the High Country Shoot is by far the best. Very realistic 3D animal target set-ups for traditional bowhunters in dense high country forest. It's definitely worth attending.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©