3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Freezing venison?  (Read 712 times)

Offline bluemoonrising

• Trad Bowhunter
Freezing venison?
« on: March 10, 2016, 09:55:00 AM »
Over the years I have been lucky to have harvested quite a few animals. During that time, I have had zero problems with freezing the meat, even longer than a year. My old freezer is still working but it too is getting old. I do hate the de-icing part. New frost-free freezers sound like the way to go. But...I have heard some people say they don't work as well on meat products. Any ideas/thoughts?  Thanks

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Freezing venison?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 10:12:00 AM »
Its not a problem.  If your venison is wrapped properly it will last just fine.  I accidently had some stew meat buried away for a year and it was fine.

Offline David M. Mathis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 10:14:00 AM »
Vacuum seal the way to go.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 10:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by David M. Mathis:
Vacuum seal the way to go.
:thumbsup:
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 10:51:00 AM »
We have been harvesting cow elk since I was little, when you have two elk in the freezer it usually lasts all year.  Always used a first wrap of plastic followed by a paper wrap.  Two years ago my father bought a vacuum sealer.  The vacuum wrap seams to be working great, but it costs about $ 50.00 to wrap one elk.  We never had problems with our old wraps, and it was considerably cheaper.  That being said, we have two upright freezers, and before hunting season, we transfer leftover meat into one freezer and de ice the other.  Kind of a pain in the butt.
Learn to work, and you can learn to do anything.

Offline bluemoonrising

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 11:31:00 AM »
Pryor--we too have used "saran wrap" and then butcher/freezing paper and have had zero problems with the meat. I also fish a lot and use freezer bags and water to care for the gills and eyes with zero problems. The vacuum sealer's wrap and bags would probably be too expensive for me. The real question I have is about the freezers. Do I go with frost-free or manual? Thanks

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 11:58:00 AM »
I wrap mine in Saran Wrap also. Works great for me.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 03:24:00 PM »
I put 1-2# of ground, or a roast or other cut into a Baggie 1 gallon bag ( they make a longer style that I like best), wrap it then wrap that in regular plastic coated ( one side) freezer paper.  

I have had deer in my freezer for well over a year that ate up just fine when I found it.

ChuckC

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 04:28:00 PM »
I just watched an episode of Meat Eaters. Rinella recommended wrapping the meat in Saran Wrap tightly, then wrap again in freezer paper. He said doing it this way will allow your meat to stay good for a year or more. If my memory serves, I think he said he's had meat stay good for up to two years. I can't help you,  though, on how good the new freezers are.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 04:39:00 PM »
I had a moose tenderloin wrapped in plastic wrap and then coated brown paper and I somehow forgot it in the bottom of the freezer.  Flash forward three years and I found it, cooked it and it was still fine.  Not even a hint of freezer burn.  He plastic prevents freezer burn and the paper protects the plastic.  No offence to the vac packers in the crowd but it's way cheaper to wrap a large quantities of game this way.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 04:50:00 PM »
I have an older frost free fridge and have no problems with freezing meat. I double up on the Saran wrap and place in freezer zip lock bag.
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 05:48:00 PM »
I have a frost free freezer, and my meat is vacuum sealed (except the burger which is in LEM bags), and I have no problem leaving the meat in the freezer for 1+yrs.

Bisch

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »
I double wrap with freezer paper and have had zero issues. No problem with the meat easily lasting a year.

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 06:42:00 PM »
Poor boy vacuum for me.

Place cut meat in freezer bags then submerge in a large pan of water until only the zipper is exposed. Zip shut while bag is in water.
Not quite as good as an actual vacuum sealer, but more convenient.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 09:31:00 PM »
I use large leaf bags for my meat. Don't put the meat "IN" the bag, lay it on the bag and wrap it up. I use masking tape to get the bag tight. Cheap and will keep your meat fresh with no freezer burn.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 07:24:00 AM »
I have a  frost free freezer above my refrigerator.  

I have not had any issues for things that were properly wrapped and stored.

For venison, I was gifted some that was wrapped in freezer paper then in vacuum seal bags. There is no doubt in my mind it can last several years like that with no issue, however in my house it usually only lasts at most several weeks so probably overkill on the wrapping.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 11:05:00 AM »
If you do not mind defrosting the freezer I would go with manual defrost.
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 09:39:00 PM »
It's typically believed a frost free freezer is not meant for long term storage of anything. The problem is it periodically (with a preset timer  goes in a defrost time). Basically a set of heaters is energized to melt the build up of ice. Ice build up depends on lots of factors, amount of openings, amount of thawed material added, etc. There is a heat sensor that shuts off the heaters if there isn't enough ice build up to justify running the entire defrost cycle.

All this means is in frost free freezer everyday the temp rises up enough to melt ice! Now a lot of folks eat frozen stuff often enough not to notice damage. It's most noticeable in ice cream where you see ice crystals that has been stored any amount of time. Sometimes you get ice cream out and it's soft while other times it's hard as a rock as it depends on if your getting ice cream out that just came out of a defrost cycle or close to it.
For long term storage you generally will have better luck with a manual defrost freezer. However like most things in life they are getting harder and harder to find as everyone wants the easy way out.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2016, 09:19:00 AM »
I much prefer paper over vacuum bags. A traditional butchers wrap will result in 2-3 layers of paper (more on the folded side) and I have pulled out meat 2-3 years old and had minimal freezer burn. Much better to consume quicker though. Vacuum bags are a paint pack into the freezer (I have a stand up) because of their irregular shapes and slick surface. Maybe fine for a chest freezer, but given the expense, not worth it to me.

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 12:05:00 PM »
Any freezer burned venison I find gets thawed then ground into burger.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©