3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hilbre heads  (Read 1515 times)

Offline zwickey2bl

• Trad Bowhunter
Hilbre heads
« on: January 25, 2007, 08:39:00 AM »
Anyone here ever shot any game with the Hilbre head? I bought some off E-bay awhile back; they look wicked (like a Howard Hill head, but a very keen, needle point and razor insert bleeders) but seems like the steel is a little soft. I filed the points  on a couple of them down to a more chisel-like profile, and have been carrying them but so far no chance to try one on anything. Just wondered if anyone else had any experience with these...

Offline John D

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hilbre heads
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
If I remember right, the blades did not hold up to well on the ferrule, when bone was hit, leaving poor penetration. The ferrule I belive is made of some sort of plastic, You maybe better off with an all steel broadhead, of your choice. I have about a dozen Hilbre Heads, their nice to add to a collection, they are wicked looking. JMO Good Luck
Good Luck & Good Hunting!
John
COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS
PBS Associate Member

Offline Charles K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 10:08:00 AM »
I think the couple I had were called 'Colt Super Hilbre'....I didn't ever use them on large game because of the plastic, and yes, wicked looking blade.

Offline Shovelbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
I shot a couple deer with them 30+ years ago and a turkey with one last spring.
Never had the plastic ferrule fail but did have a tip roll over. Still killed everything I ever shot with them.
No matter what type of bow is shot, we're all archers.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »
Never shot anything with one, but as old as those things are, I suspect that the ferrule is pretty brittle and wouldn't hold up when it hit anything substantial.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
Used some of them years ago and killed a doe with it. Got a pass-through and the blade held up ok. Distroyed the rest shooting at rabbits.

Offline Bob Barnes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
I think they were the heads that will actually screw on the wood taper...?  You don't need glue...

Bob

:wavey:
"Hello, My name is Bob and I'm a BowAholic"

Offline zwickey2bl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »
Thanks, guys. Yes, Bob, you're correct. They have shallow threads on the inside of the ferrule. I still glued them but not with hotmelt glue. I didn't know how old they were - that brittle plastic thing might be something to think about. They held up ok in a foam target.

Offline Mark U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 10:10:00 PM »
A long, long time ago, a buddy and I were hunting mountain goats here in Idaho, and he shot one with that head.  If I recall correctly, the plastic head had snapped off the insert part.  Still killed the goat, but he never hunted with them again.
So don't wait until you retire to go hunting and fishing.  Don't even wait for your annual vacation.  Go at every opportunity.  Things that appear urgent at the moment may, in the long run, turn out to be far less so.

Ted Trueblood

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 10:23:00 AM »
the plastic back then got brittle in the cold
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 01:45:00 PM »
I was deer hunting with some years ago, shot twice at a squirrel instead and two of them were immediately destroyed.  I was mighty glad I learned that prior to shooting at a deer with one.

They flew nice...right into the trash!
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©