3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizzly sharpening on a Lansky  (Read 276 times)

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
Grizzly sharpening on a Lansky
« on: March 13, 2016, 02:17:00 PM »
I'm a fan of Grizzly heads, but they seem to have their share of detractors from the"sharpening-challenged". The newer ones with the improved grind have gone a long way to making things easier.  It's a true 25 deg. and fairly keen, but the edge is very rough and chipped which means metal still has to be removed.  A guided system like the Lansky, KME, etc. will keep the angle consistent.  My biggest gripe is the blades of the head aren't completely flat and it will twist in the jaws of the clamp no matter how you tighten it.  This is compounded by the fact that he jaws have an offset making them an ideal for the back of knife blades, not as good for broadheads.  If you grip with the "flat", the ferrule is such that to get the edge perpendicular to the clamp you've got to angle them to where the edge of the clamp is out at the edge of the blade.  My solution, a simple jig to prevent the head from twisting in the clamp.  I couple pieces of wood, nails, rubber band and voila. I use a short piece of shaft and don't even have the heads glued to the adapters at this point(I like to orient them when mounted to use like the front sight of a rifle).  If you've got an easier way to accomplish this, let's hear it.

"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzly sharpening on a Lansky
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 02:30:00 PM »
what is your reason for keeping the edge of the head perpendicular to the jaws of the clamp? on my KME I have the ferrule of the head tight against the clamp. I am some what "sharping challenged", but I have no problem gripping any BH.
Kevin Day

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 02:40:00 PM »
If the edge of the clamp is not parallel to the edge of the blade, you will be changing the angle of the grind - thinner at the rear of the blade and steeper as you approach the point. This may not be a bad thing, as the point is where the broadhead needs to be sturdiest, but it will not be the same angle from front to rear. You will have to take a bit more metal off the grind as you approach the point.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 03:22:00 PM »
karrow,
The KME is several advantages of the Lansky, and the clamp jaws may be one. The pic isn't good, but you can make out the "notches" I was talking about. They work fine on the back of something relatively square like the back of a knife blade, but they're only about a 1/16th deep. Go past that and things have a tendency to move in the jaws, especially if you can't seat it deep or the contact area isn't uniform because the surface isn't completely flat. The KME is more stable and consistent due to guide rod containment.  Plus it has full range of angle adjustment as opposed to preset slots. The beauty of the Lansky is I've been using one for about 40 yrs. at less than half the cost.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 08:44:00 PM »
I hear you fought that with the Lansky for years. Recently bought a KME and really like it. It has it's faults too though. The clamps work best on blades that are perfectly parallel. I believe if I was to have a do over I'd buy a Edge Pro Knife sharpener. They have a model from every price range from cheap to stupid expensive. But the concept fixes the problems of Lansky and KME.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline stonewall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 09:54:00 AM »
I use the same clamp to hold the blade. But I take the arrow off and put the head in up to the ferrule. Then I mark the bevel with a sharpie, use a bastard file to file the sharpie off the bevel, smooth out with a stone then shave. I don't use the guides , just the clamp.

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 08:48:00 PM »

I used the Lansky with a file for years without the stand--works great on 2 blade heads.

Got a KME... didn't think it any better than the Lansky w/file.

Got a Stay Sharp and found out I had been in the dark ages.  :^)  This thing works great on my Grizzly's and everything else I've tried it with.

http://innovativeoutdoorsmanllc.com/Fixed%20blade%20Images.htm

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 09:41:00 PM »
I think I have every sharpener made. A few years ago, Monty Browning showed how to sharpen broadheads on a grinder. I hesitated buying a grinder since I had all the sharpening gadgets.
When our Surgical instruments get dull , we call a professional hospital owned service that brings a truck to the hospital. That truck is full of different paper wheels and grinders.
I bought a new grinder and a paper wheel set. I get all my heads crazy shaving sharp including grizzly's. Some heads do require more work than others.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©