3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Survival kit  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Survival kit
« on: March 13, 2016, 08:18:00 PM »
Given the vast amount of experience and skills on this site I'd like to tap into that and find out what you'd want in your pack in a "what if" situation.

I'm guilty of going back beyond poorly prepared for an emergency. Not so smart.

Let's try to minimize or at least keep things ultra portable. Something so handy you never leave home without it.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Survival kit
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 08:26:00 PM »
I carry this in my quiver for every hunt. I modified the the store bought kit to suit my needs. I add a few things for long trips like water tabs or a small tarp. I also have an e- blanket in there now.

This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Possumjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 08:36:00 PM »
I have a mest tarp/poncho from bushcraftusa. I carry a zippo with a bicycle tire tube around it to hold in fuel. Carry a ferro rod  and 3 knives.  A gfa mini(small knife), a schrade deerslayer (5.5" blade ) and a condor hudson bay knife (8.5" blade, weighs about a pound). Paracord, jute coated in crisco (fire starter), water, space blanket and a sharpening stone. I usually carry a tenkara rod now too, but not so much for survival as possible fishing opportunities.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 08:39:00 PM »
One handed tourniquet, small assortment of meds., way to start fire, water purification of some sort.  I'll dig out my kit and photograph contents tomorrow.

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 08:39:00 PM »
My kit is almost exactly like Rob's, but I carry several Bic lighters in addition to a ferro rod, and more parachute chord.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Scott F

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 08:48:00 PM »
I love these threads and have made a couple kits myself.  My kits are fairly light and specific for the area that intend to 'not need to use it' in.

One thing is for sure, I have a couple aspirin packs in my kit.  I'm only in my mid 40's but I figure that if I really 'NEEDED' to use one of my kits to survive most folks would be getting pretty anxious at that point in their life.  Coding from a heart attack based on the situation is not how I intend to go.  Chewing on an aspirin tablet may be the ticket out of the situation, they can help for headaches as well.

(caveat - I am NOT a doctor, but I do have a First Aid Merit Badge...)

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 09:27:00 PM »
When I'm just hunting around here on small farms in MO, my emergency kits consists of water and TOILET PAPER!

I always have a knife and lighter on me as well.

When I'm backpacking out west, I pack this into a small blue dry-sack from Wal-Mart.  It's only about 4 in by 6 in.:
band-aids
gauze pads
gorilla tape
alcohol wipes
antibacterial ointment
ibuprofen
benadryl
bandanna
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 09:35:00 PM »
I prefer multi use items. The only specialty item I bring is a compass and a couple of iodine tablets. Otherwise a roll of paracord can be used to make a travios for a deer, haul your bow up a stand, build a make shift shelter, as a tournaquet, to strap you leg to a make shift splint.

Here goes

Surplus canteen for water with the cup and two Iodine tablets.
Roll of paracord
Small roll of gauze
Knife
Compass
small portable cell phone charger.
Snack or two
2 aspirin
No need for much else. Serious emergencies like heart attacks and multi-system trauma's will require immediate extraction or you will likely die. No little kit will help you only a cell phone and a buddy will.

Sprained ankles, A closed/simple fracture, minor illness' or getting lost that might require an over night will be covered by the kit above. The only think you might add to it is to save a plastic wrapper and a roll of medical tape.

Exceptions-if you have had or are prone to a heart attack take your nitro. If you have allergies that are serious take your epi pen. Same with asthma take your rescue inhaler. If anyone would like info on basic first aid let me know and I can either add more to this thread of start a new one.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 10:11:00 PM »
A basic first aid thread might not be a bad idea but lets try to keep this thread focused on the kit please.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 10:21:00 PM »
You must stay warm and hydrated. A SOL Survival bag or blanket is important. I like to carry purification tablets or a filter pump.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 11:08:00 PM »
Only one thing has been left out of these post. I carry at lease a days worth of my normal med's. If you get stuck out it might make a big difference.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 12:10:00 AM »
Bic lighters. I carry three, one in pocket to check wind with and two in pack. Paracord. Firestarter , wax impregnated shavings cubed, Two space blankets. one light weight and one large for shelter. Bottle of superglue. moleskin. package with tea and instant coffee. Compass goes in pocket as I use it a lot.

I hunt a lot by myself so I have learned over the years to not do anything iffy. I do not walk logs, get in positions that are dangerous of dead ends and never forget that nature is un forgiving. When in the wild I act like I am at bottom of the food chain as far as awareness of situation. Its also a great way to hunt.

God bless, Steve

Offline H Rhodes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 02:17:00 AM »
Anytime I leave the house I have my cell phone. I have a knife and lighter in my pockets.  I keep one of those magnesium fire starters on my key ring.  I wear one of those para cord bracelets most days as well.  

Anytime I go into the woods, I have a real small pack that contains the real "what if?" stuff.  

steal water bottle
Kabar knife
para cord
folding saw
space blankets
first aid kit
small roll of duct tape
chap stick
bandana
poncho
big plastic garbage bag
compass
extra flashlights/batteries
trail marking thumbtacks
toilet paper
cheap plastic drop cloth
snacks (trail mix, jerky)

Seems like a lot, but it doesn't take up a lot of room.  

I have to agree with Sixby about his comment on not doing anything "iffy".  I move slow and careful, as most real outdoorsmen do.  I get tickled at the survival reality shows!  I don't go diving off cliffs, or jumping around like a daredevil.  I would just as soon not to ever need that "what if" stuff in my pack.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 02:32:00 AM »
I second the big lighter and the super glue.  There is a medical grade of super glue.  I only needed to mention it to my doctor and he supplied me.  The hardware store grade works just as good.

Three years ago I packaged a bunch of those little boxes of matches with a food saver and they function flawlessly to this day.  There are always three or four of them in the pack.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 07:21:00 AM »
Out of curiosity or for possible addition to my survival kit,

Charlie,  what is the item between the compass and the Cotton?
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 08:44:00 AM »
When I hunted the Adirondack Mt. all the time mine was very much like Rob's. Now I do more local hunts and have trimmed it back a lot. Most times they are 1/2 day hunts. Always carry some water also and a granola bar or two. It should be able to fit in the pocket of my Safari Tuff quiver.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 08:45:00 AM »
:dunno:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 10:27:00 AM »
Your Brain and knowledge is the best item.

I have always felt that my knowledge and skills in the things I need and know how to use far outway a pre assembled kit.

I find Ray Canterbury's 5 and 10 Cs of survival a good tool to help me remember. I've made this a game and everywhere I go I see how fast I can assemble the items I need. Keeps me sharp and conscious.

5 C's
Cut (Knife) - Cordage (Paracord) - Combustion (at least 3- Lighter, Flint, Striker, Magnifying glass) - Cover (Trash Bag, Poncho, Tyvek) - Cup (Metal for boiling)

10 C's Top 5 + 5 more

Candle (flashlight, headlight) - Cargo Tape (Duck Tape) - Cargo Needle (Big Needle) - Compass - Cloth (Bandanas can be used for many things.
A world of opportunities awaits upwind but nothing waits downwind.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 02:27:00 PM »
Most of my outings are in search of Elk with a pack on my back and several miles from the road. In the pack are some game bags, a  hatchet, something for snacks / lunch, water reservoir and water bottle. Always need lots of water.
and then there is the survival kit stuff - fire starting, small pot, a little pick me up (oatmeal & hot coco), shelter, light, cord, some benadryl and ibuprofen, and a few wraps of duct tape. Also always a hat and a shell.

I use to carry a heavier space blanket but it disintergrated over the years, there use to be a whistle too. I carry my phone too but getting a signal is iffy at best.
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 03:05:00 PM »
i don't have one made up anymore . i just sort one out the day i am going. if its a long trip i take more if a short trip witch most are i take less. makes life simple. because things you put away and never use break down over time.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©