3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Survival kit  (Read 1111 times)

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Survival kit
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2016, 01:05:00 PM »
One thing I always bring with me when hunting is a combat tourniquet and a quik clot bandage. I carry these wrapped with rubber bands on my Absorkee quiver. I would urge all bowhunters carrying broadheads to do the same. I carry it setup so I can put it on with one hand if needed. Just in case I happen to stick myself I figure my best chance of survival is to stop the bleeding.....fast. You can google these and order online.

If I am gonna be further from civilization I carry an Altoids can with ferro rod and tinder. An emergency bivy sack, some water purification pills, and a metal water bottle.
God Bless

Numunuu

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2016, 12:24:00 AM »
Your cell phone can be pinged by law enforcement if you are overdue  and some one asks for it.  My son in law was able to find a friend's husband when he did not show up on time. Keep your phone charged even if there is only spotty service.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2016, 08:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Soonerlongbow:
I saw paracord mentioned as a tourniquet.

Please never do this! A tourniquet should always be 1" wide or better. Thin cordage will either not have enough compression to effectively stop arterial flow or will act like a garrote and amputate the appendage.
Yeah, just stay away from them period! Best you can,

Dependent where I am headed is to what I will carry. Ah lot of float hunts, kayak hunts I carry a good med kit, fire starting kit(many different ways), emergency blanket, and a "stash a shelter" tarp shelter, (really small, fit in your pocket) but will keep the rain and dew off ya for an overnighter or two, and emergency situations. If I am hunting out the truck half day hunts, small med kit band aids and such, GPS, fire starting material, what I can shove in my trouser leg pocket.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2016, 10:07:00 AM »
This may sound strange, and if the mods think it is inappropriate, I will understand it being removed. In the first aid kit at our archery club, there are several ladies tampons. They are intended for puncture wounds such as would be created by a field point. The effect is to clog the wound and suppress bleeding. Has anybody else heard of such a practice? It makes sense, but I still haven't included any in my personal kit.
Sam

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2016, 10:17:00 AM »
Sam, yes it is a practice for gunshot wounds, maybe not a standard protocol for Civilian EMS, but hVe heard its practice in military circles. Or penetrating injuries however it happens.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Scott F

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2016, 10:23:00 AM »
It was common for many military corpsmen/medics to have these for puncture wounds, but with the advent of quick clot and other clotting devices, I think the practice of carrying them may have waned.

If I were alone and had a puncture wound that was severe enough to need one, you can bet your @-- that I'd plug the hole with about anything that I had on hand.

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2016, 11:05:00 PM »
"the first aid kit at our archery club, there are several ladies tampons."

Alright, I'll admit it that my wife, an emergency room and trama nurse, got me to carry one in my pack...

Not something I generally divulge  ;>)   but ya, if I get a big puncture wound from a sharp stick or broadhead, i've got "one" to plug it with...

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2016, 11:15:00 PM »
Don't forget to include a Whistle in case you are injured and need help.

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2016, 01:09:00 AM »
Great post with lots of good information.
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »
Feminine hygiene products are made to deal with bodily fluids. Imagine gashing your hand or arm while field dressing a deer in the "out back" and having a nice, big, thick pad and a small roll of orange duct tape to bandage the cut. Sounds like just the ticket to me. Cheap, quick, effective, and easily had.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©