3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow tuning results, next step?  (Read 391 times)

Offline FrankM

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow tuning results, next step?
« on: March 13, 2016, 08:29:00 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm completely self-trained, but I shoot better now, so I decided to recheck my tune. Anyway, I did some paper tuning and shot bullet holes with 100 gr. tips at 10 ft. So, I went to bareshaft. The bareshaft was to the right at 10 & 15 yards. I went to 125 gr. tips, knowing it would throw off the paper tune. It shot better, but the fletched arrows shot center and the bareshaft was still about 5-6 inches to the right at 20 yds. Finally, I put my 145 gr. tips back on. Bareshaft and fletched hit the same place at all distances. If I didn't make any mistakes, I could group in the center of the target. I shoot instinctive. These arrows are way off on Stu's Calc.

My question is, since I'm self-taught, Is there some other way to be sure of my tune so I know I'm not covering up form flaws with a heavier point? I worry that maybe I kick the arrow to the left without knowing it. Making it seem like the arrows aren't weak.

Arrow and bow info:

2014 Samick Sage #40 @ 28” (mine length 28.5”)   
Dynamic Spine: 57.8
nock height: 3/8”
brace height: 8”, FF 18-strand
3/16" cut past center (-0.1875)
1/16” strike plate thickness  (0.0625)

Gold Tip Trads 15/35 30”
5/16" 145 gr. field point
20  gr.  Converta Insert
11.5  gr.  GT Nock
3x5” feathers (~12 gr.)
Dynamic Spine:  42.5 (Stu's Calc)
Total weight = 414.1

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow tuning results, next step?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 10:40:00 PM »
Possibly you might be creeping a little at full draw.  If you have a smart phone or some other way of videoing in slo mo, set it up on a tripod and point it at your bow hand so you can see the arrow as it crosses the back of your bow.  See if there is any forward movement just before release.  If there is, then you need to fix it.  With your setup, you should be pretty close with a 100 gr point.  If you need a 145 grain point, then you could be losing power somewhere, and creeping is one possibility.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 10:55:00 PM »
once I bareshaft back to 20 and my bareshaft and fletched are hitting together I try a big fixed blade broadhead. if all 3 arrows hit together I call it good and shoot.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline FrankM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 11:53:00 PM »
I think the arrows flew better with the 100 gr. even though they didn't hit the same place with the bareshaft. Think I'll shoot the 100 gr. for awhile and see what happens.

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 08:44:00 AM »
Frank check your bare shaft through paper at different yardages and I will bet you see different tears due to paradox.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 09:37:00 AM »
Are you left handed? Arrows shooting to the right indicate a weak spine for a right hander.  Adding point weight, weakens the spine even more.  

If you're a lefty, arrows shooting to the right indicate arrows that are too stiff, and adding point weight will bring them back in line, which is what you have apparently done.

Regardless, Stu's calculator gets you in the ball park, but it simply can't be spot on for all  shooters because we have so many personal shooting differences.  If your arrows are shooting good for you now,( both fletched and unfletched shooting to the same point, the point you're aiming at) you're there.  Don't overthink this stuff.

Offline stonewall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 10:08:00 AM »
Sounds right to me, My son shoots a 45# Kodiak he pulls 29 and shoots 30" 15-35 gts  aka 600's with 125gr. heads. 25 gr. doesn't make a lot of difference on carbon but a quarter inch will.

Offline FrankM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 11:55:00 AM »
Oh geez, I think Orion got me. I'm right-handed. Somewhere I'm messing up. I'll start over again. I'll also try bareshafting from different distances.

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 06:21:00 PM »
Frank go to YouTube and look up Ken Beck arrow tuning. EXCELLENT video on proper tuning

Offline FrankM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 10:20:00 PM »
Ok, repeated the exercise. I only counted shots where I felt the release was clean. Confirmed the arrows paper-tuned correctly with 100 gr. tips. A little weak with 125 gr., even more so with 145 gr.

Bareshaft results were a wash. I think by then I was getting shaky. Arrow flight seemed good with either. With a clean release, both flew like darts.

I think maybe shoot 100 gr. for awhile. What do you think?

Offline FrankM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 10:15:00 PM »
Awesome video Saviour. I found I had to adjust my nock point. They fly almost like the video but the point is a tad left and hit the target a bit left. That might be me so I'll shoot again tomorrow bareshaft with fletched. If it continues, maybe I'll add 10 gr. and see what happens.

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 11:13:00 PM »
I am shooting a bear grizzly 40# with a 29" draw.   I am shooting footed  30" 1535's with 145 gr points and getting good bare shaft, and paper tune.  Sounds like you are pretty close.  Keep shooting!!!
Learn to work, and you can learn to do anything.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©