3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Song dogs with a bow  (Read 546 times)

Offline DXH

• Trad Bowhunter
Song dogs with a bow
« on: March 15, 2016, 01:52:00 AM »
Anyone gotten any ?
Ben Pearson Cougar 40#
PSE Black Hawk T/D 55#
Bamboo backed Osage Self bow 57#
Ivory Hunter 60#

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Song dogs with a bow
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 02:34:00 AM »
Song dogs are tough.I have killed 4 while out deer hunting.Two from the ground and 2 from the trees.It was a rush!

I always have a predator call while deer hunting.A fawn distress call is very good as well.

One I killed was pretty memorable.It was getting very dark.I had taken down my Apache ground blind.A small blind in tepee shape.Not enclosed like a Doghouse or Double Bull.I don't like that enclosed closterphobic feeling when hunting.I like the challenge as well at closing the deal semi exposed.Very natural!

I always clear out about a 5 ft circle around me when on the ground.Almost bare earth.I can move silently.I was listening intently before finally packing out.Its pretty much dark.A tiny bit of twilight.I hear a pitter patter.I think that does not sound like a deer.Light footfalls.I get low in my little circle of death.In the splits position pretty much.I was young and nimble then.The pitter patter gets close and here I am at full draw very low set up to intercept the ghost that's coming.The footfalls belong to a coyote and it come up over a log at 12 yards.I am right on her.She saw me but was not totally spooked.My shape was deformed and low and I had on my leafy ringed boonie hat and its dark.I shot instantly bow canted almost horizontal as she perched their looking at me and their was a loud growl/yelp.She was facing right at me with her front quarters perched up on this log.It was surreal in the dark and  quiet atmosphere and her yelping and snarling at the impact and sprinting off where she had come.

I found her the next day about 60 yards away stiff with my wood arrow broken off at the furline.

Funny thing really.Like I said she saw me but could not quite figure it.When I shot she had managed to do a 180 degree turn and the arrow caught her right between the shoulder blades.I was aiming at the center of her chest.Her facing me.She had flipped sides.It was a perfect shot though.They are quick.

I shot that with a 64 inch Frederick longbow that pulled 67 #s and a Whispering Winds Hexashaft and simmons Tigershark.I stained and fletched the arrows of course.The bow was a wedding gift from my wife.Beautiful bow and I was at one with that bow

I made a quiver from the Song Dog.

That was one of my most memorable hunts about 20 years ago.Its still vividly etched in my mind.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 02:48:00 AM »
Check with thumper dunker. He is a machine!

Offline TC209X50

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 05:07:00 AM »
Good story!
Jordan Stalker Recurves

Offline EWill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 05:46:00 AM »
Good story. I missed at my first chance this past archery season, i really wanted him.
"It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy." Romans 9:16 (NIV)

I don't like to be high, low, left, or right.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 06:51:00 AM »
Got my first in Kansas this year!

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 08:08:00 AM »
Thumper Dunker has hit more dogs with his self bows than I have targets. Sometimes I'm concerned just how many coyotes he has running around his property! Lol. Do a search for his posts and enjoy.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 08:27:00 AM »
I got one sometime back in the 80s, but I have missed a few since then. As stated, Thumper Dunker is bad medicine for coyotes.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 09:46:00 AM »
I have taken a few with a bow. The most recent on was with Terry and Charlie at Kenny M's. They are pretty smart little critters.
TGMM Family of The Bow

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 10:04:00 AM »
Paging Thumper Dunker!

He has slayed the yotes with trad bows!

I have gotten a few shots at them, but never connected.

Bisch

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 10:42:00 AM »
Ive gotten two.  And missed a couple.  Thumper is the man.  He can fill a couple pages with his pics.

Steelhead, that is a great story.  Well done.  I felt like I was there.  Exciting.

I had a yote come into my stand looking for a doe who left a minute before.  I will never forget the look on his face when he turned around and looked up and saw me at full draw already!  His eyes got huge.  He shot out of there quick but I shot him thru the chest.

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 10:58:00 AM »
No dogs for me, I have missed a few tho.

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 04:52:00 PM »

I shot this one back in October of 2013 with a Sunset Hill. It's the only one I've ever seen in the woods in VA and the only shot I ever took. Got her from a Greene's Tree Saddle.
N/A

Offline elkhunter-27

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 05:42:00 PM »
I've taken a fox, but not a coyote....yet.   :bigsmyl:

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 10:02:00 PM »
I have killed one so far. Squeaked her in from about 100 yards out. What an exciting experience.

TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 11:35:00 PM »
I've taken 2 shots and killed 1-Hap

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 02:07:00 AM »
I've killed a couple in the past but it's been long time since. Unfortunately I missed a good shot this year while hunting deer. It ducked just quick enough so the arrow pined him to the ground for a brief seconded without even grazing a hair! With the bounty on them here they have become too smart for me.

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »

I got this one in Kansas back in 2008. Squeaked her in while I was in a ground blind.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 02:34:00 PM »
Killed one in wv about 20 years ago with a borrowed 50# hummingbird longbow. Shot was 11 yards on the ground.  Couldn't believe he let me get drawn as he was trotting by broadside.  What a rush.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 11:20:00 PM »
Cool story. I got a few of them. There's nothing more that can get your blood going than a incoming coyote. well maybe an incoming lion.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©