3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black bear point of aim?  (Read 373 times)

Online TwoArrows22

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Black bear point of aim?
« on: March 15, 2016, 01:01:00 PM »
I am going black bear hunting for the first time, so I looked up black bear point of aim and found a lot of talk about middle of the middle. The concept is that it's not good to hit them too far forward in fact it's better to hit them too far back. As a whitetail hunter this concept seems very odd to me because the last thing I want to do is gut shot a deer. Can any bear hunters comment on this or share some of their experiences with me?
RIPBD
Wild Horse Creek Hawk
Java Man Falcon

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black bear point of aim?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 01:59:00 PM »
At the top of the Pow Wow page there is a shot placement post. Find the bear photo and study it. I killed one last June with a 2 lung hit angling back a bit and the bear was dead in 10 seconds. 2 blade Ace from a 45# bow.......pass thru!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 02:09:00 PM »
I would be very leery of any post or drawing that says to shoot any critter further back.  Except a wolf, I heard that their heart and lungs are located just in front of their hips / pelvis.

Google "black bear internal organs.  There are some photos of what appear to be a real bear that has layers removed, to show you where things are.

Sure looks to me like the heart and lungs are more forward than back.  Usually, except in some African antelope game, just behind the elbow and a bit high, or better yet, just above the elbow itself lend the best shots for near all things that run.
ChuckC

Online TwoArrows22

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 02:26:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I have looked at the vital pictures at the top of the pow wow list and on other online sources and came to the conclusion that the vitals don't look like they are located further back. That is why I was surprised to read so many articles about " middle of the middle" I think some of it might have to do with the shoulders being tougher than some other animals. I am not really worried about penetration I'm shooting a 51 lb longbow with small diameter arrows and single bevel two blade broadheads. I think the set up is more than enough for a black bear, just wanted make sure I'm shooting in the right place.
RIPBD
Wild Horse Creek Hawk
Java Man Falcon

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 02:40:00 PM »
TwoArrows22.  You're right on with your thought in your last post.  Shoot bears like a whitetail but be aware of the leg/shoulder bones.  Gut shot bears are nearly impossible to find.  Double lung shot bears die very quickly.  Good luck on your hunt!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 03:02:00 PM »
Imagine a football suspended between the elbows.  Let the air out of the football and it's a dead bear.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 04:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
Imagine a football suspended between the elbows.  Let the air out of the football and it's a dead bear.

Mike
Exactly........   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 04:16:00 PM »
I found where "the middle of the middle" was quoted. The picture along with the text is below.

Is the picture accurate ?  Even if it is, I'd aim further forward than the point shown.
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 04:42:00 PM »
I may be of different opinion here but bears have a large kill area proportionate to their size. Like elk you don't have to hug the bone to kill them. There are some cool pics in the Shot placement thread.  

I have always preferred to shoot bears quartering away. Diaphragm and lung they wont go far.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 04:56:00 PM »
I like quartering away shots on most animals.  Especially bears.

Offline Steve Rasmusson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 05:18:00 PM »
ChuckC - Your humor was not lost - I'm still laughing my butt off...;-)
Thanks for the chuckle.. Steve

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 05:47:00 PM »
I killed the bear in my avitar by hitting him dead in the middle, maybe slightly forward of middle. It was about an 18-20 yard shot. He was just a blob of black fur. I couldn't see any definition so I really had to imagine a spot in the middle to aim at. I took out both lungs and he only went 70 yards. I took a spring bear by aiming at a thin spot in his coat that was right where his heart was. That was only about a 6 yard shot, so I wasn't too concerned about that front leg. I think if you stay slightly coward of dead center, you'll be fine. Good luck!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 08:41:00 PM »
Hello TwoArrows22.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 10:59:00 PM »
don't overthink this. A bear is no different than deer or elk or moose.etc..behind the shoulder....
just like all the other critters.... wait till the front leg is forward and shoot em like any other...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©