3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heater in a blind?  (Read 848 times)

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Heater in a blind?
« on: October 19, 2007, 06:32:00 PM »
With snow, rain, and cold weather going along with the late deer season, I find myself getting uncomfortably cold where I hunt. Does anyone use one of those portable propane heaters in their blind?
Lon Scott

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heater in a blind?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »
Yup ! use one of those coleman "black cat" propane heaters when the weather gets cold!

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
Sergio, from the looks of your avatar, I would think you would just hibernate.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »
My brother uses one in his blind but he's a wuss   :bigsmyl:  

:biglaugh:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 07:12:00 PM »
I know quite a few people who use them, if you cant handle the cold and it keeps you from hunting then do what you gotta do to get back in the game.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
Heater in a blind?  Dang, I whine about the extra weight when I have to wear two layers of warm clothes rather than just the one.  :-p

I had a duck hunting buddy that used to set up a little hibachi grill in his blind.  They'd cook hot dogs and stuff while waiting for mallards to come in.  Apparently, they stopped after the wind blew their burlap blind material into the grill.  The good news is, next to taking a whiz or getting a coffee, nothing is more certain to bring in squadrons of ducks than a burning blind.  :-D

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
I've been thinking (wishfully only) about a fan or an air-conditioner in a blind!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
I would like the comfort of a warm, dry place to wait it out.   ;)   By 10:00, my feet are "frozen" and I give up too easily especially during mid-November when that big brute might come by any time of the day.  

I stink bad enough without the additional odor from those propane units   :eek:    ....BUT, I may have to try one.
Lon Scott

Offline chesapeakeblend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »
Hey Blackhawk, if it is your feet only, try some of those foot warmers in the outdoor stores.  I use them on January duck & goose hunts and they work wonders.

This reminds me of when I used to hunt with my dad in the same stand when I was real young.  He used to have a paint can with which he would have a little fire to stay warm.    :thumbsup:  He doesn't understand all of this scent gear out these days.  hahahaha.  He used to smoke in the stand and still get deer too.  And that was back in the days when people were happy to have a chance at a deer.
Mike Norton

A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal.    -Aldo Leopold

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »
When it gets realy cold, I will sometimes take a small can of Sterno with me to warm the fingers and toes from time to time. Doesn't weigh much and there's no smoke but be carefull! That innocent little blue flame will burn you quick if you're not carefull.

-Sharps
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
Sharpster, that sterno idea is a good one...and is certainly a lot smaller to pack in.  Sterno with hand and foot warmers could be the ticket.
Lon Scott

Offline guzzi2000

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 10:28:00 PM »
Blackhawk, I have a pair of boot blankets and have used them here in Wiscosin with a pair of uninsulated boots and my feet never got cold. Temp's were in the teens with two feet of snow on the ground. I think Ice Breaker makes them and they are rated for -40.
"Our arrows will blot out the sun." "Then we will fight in the shade."

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »
My daughter made me a pair of boot blanket slipons  from a soft compound bow case she picked up at a swap meet some years back I still use them when it gets friged. Mike
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »
get the heater body suit and forget about the heater.
BD

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 04:25:00 AM »
I'd be afraid of the hibachi grill...carbon monoxide poisoning.

We used to use a sleeping bag in a treestand when we were younger and more nimble I would think that would work good inside a blind.

I wonder how a thermocell without the bugcard would work? Maybe not well enough for real cold.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2007, 09:10:00 AM »
I used to do the sleeping bag in a tree stand in the 70's and 8o's like biggie when it was below 20 degrees and especially when it windy.It worked very well and  when you were ready to shoot it slipped off your shoulders and to shooting position quietly.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2007, 09:18:00 AM »
I have a Buddy heater that I use in a blind, It works just fine, and has a low oxigen shutoff.
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Offline ROB TAYLOR

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »
I use a little propane heater in the Double Bull during late season....turns a two hour toe freezer into an all day vigil.  Has a very quiet hissing sound and I just crack the waterfowl window in the roof of the blind for ventilation.  Never had a deer act any different because of it...plenty of very close encounters.  To me, it beats the hell outa dressing up like the dang Michelin man and trying to walk to the blind....I just wear a medium layer system and warm boots and carry this little heater and lunch into the blind...like nothing.

Oh yeah, for you "tough" guys who'd prefer to freeze....ahaha....have fun!

-Rob
>>>--TGMM-Family of the Bow--->

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

Offline chesapeakeblend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2007, 05:29:00 PM »
You may also want to look into mountaineering items too.  Most of those companies make insulated booties that slide over boots for while you are idle in extreme conditions. Example -

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?site=NA&model=AN5G&language=en
Mike Norton

A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal.    -Aldo Leopold

Offline longstick

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »
from an old mans point of view? OF COURSE, but I have a small one and even though its Texas it can get just downright COLD. I use a dark fleece blanket and hover over it letting the heat fill it plus it keeps the blackhole in my blind
>>-TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©