3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Micro-diameter arrows  (Read 1487 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Micro-diameter arrows
« on: March 16, 2016, 01:19:00 PM »
I am wondering what spine arrows you guys think I should get.  

I am on the verge of purchasing new arrows and I am not sure which ones to get.  I have a 29.5" draw and shoot bows that are all between #50 and #55 pounds at my draw length.  

I am currently shooting 35/55's that are 30.5" long.  

I am wondering If i should jump up to .400's or stay with the .500's.  I will likely get the super thing .204 diameter arrows and I know they are a great deal thinner than what I currently have.  So wont that make them weaker?  

Looking for any incite here.  I posted something about this last year and didn't get the answer I wanted, so checking again.  

Daniel
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Micro-diameter arrows
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 01:51:00 PM »
I have Gold Tip pierce arrows that are 340's and I'm shooting them out of my silvertip that's 57 at my draw. They have 300gr point plus the halfsert and aluminum footer. They bareshafted good for those limbs and my 62lb limbs if I moved my nocking point. I'd go with the 400 spine if it were me.
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 02:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Longbowlogan:
I have Gold Tip pierce arrows that are 340's and I'm shooting them out of my silvertip that's 57 at my draw. They have 300gr point plus the halfsert and aluminum footer. They bareshafted good for those limbs and my 62lb limbs if I moved my nocking point. I'd go with the 400 spine if it were me.
Logan,

can you tell me the total arrow length? and what is your draw length?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 02:57:00 PM »
If I remember right they are 28 3/4" carbon to carbon plus the aluminum sleeve which is about 2". I draw right around 28.5"-29"
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 03:34:00 PM »
The smaller diameters change the centershot, I just started shooting the vap .166 gamers 300spine.
Put of my pas black widow the are nearly the same as my 300 spine gold tip velocity.. they act stiffer on a less center cut bow to me.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 05:02:00 PM »
I just tuned some VAP elites to shoot out of my Black Widow PSA.   The bow is 57 lbs at my 29" draw and the VAPs are full length (30.5") 300 spine.  I used the 20 gr stainless Easton HIT deep 6 insert, 250 gr field tips and 1.5"of 1816 aluminum footing.   Total arrow weight is 595 gr. I kind of expected them to be stiff and need to go up more in point weight but they bare shaft perfectly.  But the PSA is cut 3/16 past center and has always liked a stiffer arrow than I thought it would.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 05:44:00 PM »
If you're shooting a fast flite string and fairly efficient bow that's cut to center or past, go with the .400s. The skinnier shaft has the effect of moving the side plate in, requiring a higher spine.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 06:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by AZ_Longbow:
The smaller diameters change the centershot, I just started shooting the vap .166 gamers 300spine.
Put of my pas black widow the are nearly the same as my 300 spine gold tip velocity.. they act stiffer on a less center cut bow to me.
Can you tell me your bow set up?

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 06:30:00 PM »
Not a fan of the ultra thin stuff. The standard 5/16 O.D. carbons will offer the most additional products to tune the shaft to perfection.
The other reason is, that the thin stuff really is very prone to how far out of center your bow may be cut. Sometimes that will yield odd effects.
And all this "added" penetration bla bla etc. is not worth the hassle as there were and are thousands of critters killed with thicker shafts of wood, carbon and aluminum.
The problem with the compound stuff (all real thin stuff is made for the compound shooters) is, that they will constantly change their names and layup to make better and stronger etc. arrows in the next season, but layup will affect dynamic spine despite the same static reading. For the center shot compounds with full adjustable rests this is not a big thing,but for traditional shooter the results is a constant trial and error if you have to replace arrows. While the standard 5/16" carbon arrows can realiably be calculated in comparison to wooden/aluminum arrows and are thus predictable. And I think they will not change much over time....

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 06:37:00 PM »
400's, if needed they can be left a little longer.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 08:55:00 PM »
I shoot a blackwidow PSA 59# at 28, I pull to 29-29.5. My arrows are goldtip 300s Velocity cut to 31 knock to tip. I use standard inserts, 300gr points. 3 4" feathers with 5" wraps. they bare shaft ever so slightly weak.
I just recently started testing VAP gamer 300 shafts. full length puts them about an inch longer. standard outserts, 300gr point, same feathers and wrap trimed to fit. out to my max range they all hit together. the VAPs weigh just a few grains more. been testing them for about 2 weeks and so far I do not see a difference in targets. perhaps a little more penetration but it could be previously shot points in the target. in the next few weeks I will be sending some big 300gr cutthroats down range with the vaps.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 09:20:00 PM »
Moving to VAP from Bloodlines, I like the small diameter. The 450 elites Working for me 44#@26" 300 gr. points.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 01:55:00 PM »
I use Axis from Easton for hunting. They are smaller in diameter than the regular GT's but not "thinner". The shaft is actually thicker. As for tuning, easier to tune because the shaft is closer to center shot, and they do penatrate better.
As for spine, which one, spend the extra and get a test kit of shafts and points. See if you can get just a few brass inserts as well in different weights.
Tuning carbons is as difficult as you want to make it. Small diameter shafts are easier for me tune period. Your experience may vary.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 05:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
If you're shooting a fast flite string and fairly efficient bow that's cut to center or past, go with the .400s. The skinnier shaft has the effect of moving the side plate in, requiring a higher spine.
x2

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©